Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 63 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #931
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 06:36 PM
I just rewatched Donnie Brasco, and really enjoyed it. Pacino was amazing with his portrayal of the defeated mobster, and the scene with him near the end just about kills me. Depp was good as well. I think this movie suffers from the unenviable position of being from the same decade (as well as largely covering events in the same decade, too) as the ultimate* mafia movie, Goodfellas.



*oh yes, I went there. I know this is sacrilege around these parts, but I like Goodfellas better than The Godfather.
__________________

__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #932
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Planet of the Apes. What a fucking disaster. The remake, of course. At least I saw it for free.

Roth = awesome, though. Rob Roy FTW.
Even if you saw it for free, that's still wasting your... MOTHERFUCKIN' TIME!

I still need to see Rob Roy.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #933
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I just rewatched Donnie Brasco, and really enjoyed it. Pacino was amazing with his portrayal of the defeated mobster, and the scene with him near the end just about kills me. Depp was good as well. I think this movie suffers from the unenviable position of being from the same decade (as well as largely covering events in the same decade, too) as the ultimate* mafia movie, Goodfellas.



*oh yes, I went there. I know this is sacrilege around these parts, but I like Goodfellas better than The Godfather.
Who cares which is "better"? I love Goodfellas, regardless of how it measures up to The G-dfather.

A lot of us, though, think that Once Upon a Time in America is the best gangster film.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #934
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Even if you saw it for free, that's still wasting your... MOTHERFUCKIN' TIME!

I still need to see Rob Roy.
Liam Neeson uses a sword. It's the 18th film where he's brandished a sword, or......sabre.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 11:52 PM   #935
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Who cares which is "better"? I love Goodfellas, regardless of how it measures up to The G-dfather.

A lot of us, though, think that Once Upon a Time in America is the best gangster film.
A lot of "us?" You took a poll?

I've never seen it, I'll have to check it out. And, in all fairness, Goodfellas is in my top 5 movies of all time, regardless of genre. I love that movie. I've seen it approximately 76 times, and I'm still entranced by it. Scorsese's finest hour.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #936
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
A lot of "us?" You took a poll?

I've never seen it, I'll have to check it out. And, in all fairness, Goodfellas is in my top 5 movies of all time, regardless of genre. I love that movie. I've seen it approximately 76 times, and I'm still entranced by it. Scorsese's finest hour.
How did you know that what you wrote was sacrilege around these parts? Did you take a poll?
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 11:55 PM   #937
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
How did you know that what you wrote was sacrilege around these parts? Did you take a poll?
I did. Did I neglect to seek your opinion? Oops, sorry.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #938
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I did. Did I neglect to seek your opinion? Oops, sorry.
I'll not lose sleep over it, don't fret.

Regardless, Goodfellas is sublime. Not my favorite Scorsese film, but, certainly up there.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #939
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Liam Neeson uses a sword. It's the 18th film where he's brandished a sword, or......sabre.
Hey now.

He's got a movie coming up where he plays a retired special agent who's gotta find his daughter after she's been kidnapped in Europe. Luc Besson's involved, only as writer/producer, I believe, but it'll at least kick a decent amount of ass.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:01 AM   #940
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Hey now.

He's got a movie coming up where he plays a retired special agent who's gotta find his daughter after she's been kidnapped in Europe. Luc Besson's involved, only as writer/producer, I believe, but it'll at least kick a decent amount of ass.
I like Neeson a lot, trust me. He's just in a lot of films where he has to battle with a sword.

He pops up in one of my favorite films of all-time, Excalibur. Films like Braveheart put Excalibur's battle scenes to shame, but it's still a very lush film. Me likee.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #941
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I like Neeson a lot, trust me. He's just in a lot of films where he has to battle with a sword.

He pops up in one of my favorite films of all-time, Excalibur. Films like Braveheart put Excalibur's battle scenes to shame, but it's still a very lush film. Me likee.
Does he really? I hadn't noticed that before. His bit part at the beginning of Gangs is always awesome. He should also get credit for being one of the only redeeming qualities about Episode I.

That's the one with Patrick Stewart, right?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #942
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Does he really? I hadn't noticed that before. His bit part at the beginning of Gangs is always awesome. He should also get credit for being one of the only redeeming qualities about Episode I.

That's the one with Patrick Stewart, right?
Yup. AND Gabriel Byrne, who has a small but key role early on. Exaclibur FTW.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #943
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Yup. AND Gabriel Byrne, who has a small but key role early on. Exaclibur FTW.
Nice.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:34 AM   #944
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 04:36 PM
Watched some weird movie I never heard of last night - The Night Listener with Robin Williams & Toni Collette. Synopsis: Gabriel Noone is a late night radio-host in a big city, specializing in spooky tales culled from his active imagination. When Gabriel's lover decides he needs some "space" and moves out, Gabriel descends into a funk until a publisher friend brings him a manuscript written by 14 year-old Pete Logand, a troubled young fan. Pete's story touches the vulnerable Gabriel deeply. Pete was severely abused by his parents and is now under the care of his former social worker, Donna Logand, who has adopted him. Pete is very ill and he and Donna are keeping a low profile in a small town in Wisconsin to avoid discovery by Pete's mother. Gabriel develops an unsettling long-distance telephone relationship with the boy and his guardian. Nothing is as it seems and the skepticism of friends causes Gabriel to become suspicious of Donna and her motives, so he tries to resolve the loose ends by traveling to Wisconsin to confront Donna and Pete. But this effort is largely unsuccessful and we are left wondering if Pete is real, if Donna is really blind or if Gabriel is the deranged soul of the story.

Meh
__________________
Lila64 is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #945
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,996
Local Time: 03:36 PM
What's with the James Stewart/Hitch love, YLB?

Did you have some kind of conversion experience?
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline  
 

Tags
movie reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com