Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 61 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 01:50 AM   #901
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
A very funny movie, though I thought Undercover Brother from a few years ago was actually a lot better. Neil Patrick Harris FTW.

That high of a rating, even though you rented this thinking it was a documentary? I could have told you what you needed to know, chief.

Ditto. When they do film my biopic, it might have this title. But I ain't done yet. And you better believe it's gonna be a four-star joint, bitch.
I own Undercover Brother too, definitely hilarious. Chappelle, NPH, and Billy Dee motherfucking Williams make that movie. The highs in Gonna Git You Sucka were higher, I think - plus, the actual blaxpoitation actors being in it help... and that scene with Jan Brady in dreads.

What's your favorite segment of Sex? The control room and Gene Wilder/sheep ones are tops for me.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:19 AM   #902
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:34 PM
I love Everything You want to know about sex, The control room is great "what if we end up on a wall", "let's do it again" alarm sounds again . Isn't it Burt Reynolds at the helm? I like the Woody Allen bit in the Italian movie trying to figure out what to do with his wife, the sheep bit is ok,Gene Wilder definitely owns that sketch, but I love Lou Jacobi cross dressing with his friends wife's clothes on, prancing in front of the mirror with that hat on (shades of Oliver Hardy) then ending up outside eventually getting busted by his wife and friends.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #903
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:34 PM
If you liked that, YLB, you're going to love the other early comedies, because this one is arguably the weakest (with the exception of A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy).
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #904
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
The Happening

I'm usually pretty generous when it comes to movies - as long as I'm entertained, or get a thrill or laugh or something, I'm happy.

But this was just BAD. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. The dialogue was embarrassing, the acting terrible (and I LIKE Mark Wahlberg) and the story ridiculous.

Seriously laughably bad. The trailer was 100 times creepier than the actual movie.

Very, very disappointing.

On the plus side, I got to see the X-Files trailer on the big screen.
I agree with this assessment... I have always defended Shamallama-dingdong but this "film" has given me pause...

The part with the lion was so bad I felt embarrassed for for all involved
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 AM   #905
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
If you liked that, YLB, you're going to love the other early comedies, because this one is arguably the weakest (with the exception of A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy).
Really? Nice!

The cross-dressing part was not funny at all to me, the rest I thought were at least clever if they weren't as laugh out loud funny. And yes, it is Burt Reynolds in that scene, Tony Randall's the one in charge though. Burt Reynolds has my favorite quote in the whole movie though: "All systems right on alert, we're going to try to ball her right there in the car." Some of the boob jokes in the previous segment come close though.

"Don't they always travel in pairs?"
Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #906
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
The part with the lion was so bad I felt embarrassed for for all involved
Oh, I know! Everyone in the area is affected by the toxin ... except for the one person left untouched solely so they can a) film the gory details; or b) ask "OMG, Debby! Are you okay?"
Old 06-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #907
Refugee

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
The Player ***1/2

This was my first Altman flick, which may seem like blasphemy to people named Laz, but that's okay. Aside from being an "industry" flick with loads of actor cameos (most of which are unscripted), the film centers on Tim Robbins as a movie exec being stalked by a vengeful writer. He confronts a guy who he thinks is doing it and kills him, only to find out he's killed the wrong man. Altman fills this with tons of references to other films (the 8 minute-long opening shot references Welles' Touch of Evil and Hitchcock's Rope; the camera lingers on shots of posters of movies that give insight to the film's plot - things that hardcore cinephiles would pick up on and appreciate). I enjoyed this film, from a directing and performance standpoint, but would only recommend this to people who are familiar with cinema or dig movies about the film industry.
That's an interesting Altman to watch first because I found it enjoyable throughout but really cynical and more detached than the others of his I'd seen by then. Be interesting to see how you'll compare it to his ensemble dramas like Gosford Park, Short Cuts and especially Nashville (which I think you'll love).
Old 06-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #908
Blue Crack Supplier

Don't forget what is arguably his greatest masterpiece, McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

And of course there's M*A*S*H.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 PM   #909
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
That's an interesting Altman to watch first because I found it enjoyable throughout but really cynical and more detached than the others of his I'd seen by then. Be interesting to see how you'll compare it to his ensemble dramas like Gosford Park, Short Cuts and especially Nashville (which I think you'll love).
I think I'll really like those as well, especially the latter two. I'm a big P.T. fan so that probably means I'll end up loving Altman's work, too.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #910
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:34 PM
P.S. I Love You

Cute cute movie. Tearjerker.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #911
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:34 PM
The Incredible Hulk, a solid comic book effort, and much more consistent than Ang Lee's (had a lot going for it with Eric Bana, and those cool comic-book panel split-screens, but so much wrong with it from a story-telling point of view, stiff acting, and apparently according to Hulk fans a very bad take on the story) I'm not much of a Hulk fan, but Norton, Tyler, Roth, William Hurt, Tim Blake Nelson, now that's a top-notch cast. Louis Letterier isn't much of a story-teller, and the movies pacing and emotional hooks show that, but he sure can direct action. I'm interested to see if we'll get to see Norton's headier cut, complete with Banner's suicide attempt, not to mention that scene that's at the beginning of all the trailers and spots with the whole "See a shrink"/"It's a little more complicated than that" is not in the movie. Robert Downey Jr's cameo continues to set up the Marvel Universe and The Avengers, and Tim Blake Nelson's character is poised for the next film if this recovers enough dough. The Hulk himself is still a very difficult effect, the fx here aren't perfect but they are an improvement, and Abomination is rendered quite well and actually scary.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #912
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I just saw The Incredible Hulk as well:

Going into this movie, I didn't really know what to expect. Riding off the coat-tails of Iron Man's success, it seemed like this had the same formula as that film (stellar casting, nods to the source material, hints toward the future, etc...) to make it a fitting companion piece. The only thing holding this back is the baggage dumped upon it by Ang Lee's mostly disappointing predecessor. It's unfair to compare the two, since they're two separate animals, but I felt this film captured that balance between the character drama and full-on action scenes that the other film never obtained.

Leterrier knows how to direct an action scene, and do it well - all 3 action set pieces packed that necessary punch and built upon the others as the film progressed. His faults, however, lie in giving the tender moments of the film the same care and panache as those action scenes. Like I said earlier, that balance was definitely struck, but wavered in its effectiveness - whether this is due to the chemistry between Norton and Tyler, who share their best moments in silence (right before he goes to bed at her place, in the helicopter before the climactic battle), but can't click when there's dialogue.

Speaking of the acting, Marvel struck gold with this one. Edward Norton embodied everything about Bruce Banner, the tormented soul who's never fully at rest almost in the same way that Robert Downey Jr. wrapped himself up in the glory and panache of Tony Stark in 'Iron Man.' That makes all of the difference in these new Marvel joints, they're casting actors, not personalities. Tim Roth and William Hurt chew as much scenery as possible when they're on screen, and it's a joy to watch (was I the only one that laughed at the fact that "Mr. Orange" is in the movie when they mention a Mr. Blue and Mr. Green? Where's Mr. Pink?). I really dug Tim Blake Nelson's role and hope it gets developed further in either a direct sequel (which I hope happens) or the Avengers film itself. Liv Tyler ultimately ends up being the odd woman out on this one - it's not that she isn't good, but doesn't excel in her part to the same degree as her fellow cast members.

Seeing Lou Ferrigno and Stan Lee in plot-driving cameos was a good kick, as were the nods and winks to the TV series (theme music, shots of the green eyes, and butchering of the famous quote) and setting up S.H.I.E.L.D. and Captain America's continued and future involvement in the Marvel films, respectively.

This film hit the mark greater than the previous incarnation, but still was far from being perfect. It was worth seeing in theaters and definitely has me jonesing for another watchable and enjoyable Marvel Comics flick.

7 out of 10.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #913
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonocrazy88 View Post
P.S. I Love You

Cute cute movie. Tearjerker.
Agree. I loved it so much I bought my own copy!

I saw Fool's Gold last night. Cute but a bit too long IMO. Matthew Mc & Kate Hudson have great chemistry onscreen and the scenery including the yacht where the movie filmed was brethtakingly gorgeous.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #914
Blue Crack Supplier

There was a movie with Matthew McConaghey and Kate Hudson? Why?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:03 AM   #915
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Worse, there have been two.

Look at that, he's even got his shirt on for the cover.

Tags
movie reviews