Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2008, 04:02 PM   #886
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
Cheers bud.

I hadn't seen it for years before Thursday evening and it just had me going all over again. It's not high art but for my money one of the best and entertaining thrillers of the decade.
As you need not be told, sometimes high art takes a back seat to a well done thrill ride. I like this film a lot, as it turns out.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #887
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Local Time: 01:34 AM
The Incredible Hulk
8/10

At least the director and producers made the right choice in not making this version as cartoony as the Ang Lee version.*

*Open for discussion

Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 AM   #888
Blue Crack Addict

Iron Man - 8.5/10. Best superhero movie I've ever seen (but mind you I've never seen any of the Batman or Superman flicks).
Old 06-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #889
Blue Crack Distributor

The Happening

I'm usually pretty generous when it comes to movies - as long as I'm entertained, or get a thrill or laugh or something, I'm happy.

But this was just BAD. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. The dialogue was embarrassing, the acting terrible (and I LIKE Mark Wahlberg) and the story ridiculous.

Seriously laughably bad. The trailer was 100 times creepier than the actual movie.

Very, very disappointing.

On the plus side, I got to see the X-Files trailer on the big screen.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #890
Blue Crack Addict

It was so bad
I wished I was watching Indy 4, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The Happening 2/10

M. Night Shyamalan's worst film.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #891
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
It was so bad
I wished I was watching Indy 4, again.
Holy shit, you must really hate it.

Watching Altman's The Player right now. After that, I'll post my review of that and the 2 other movies I watched today.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:23 AM   #892
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't even bother with The Happening, I used to look forward to his movies but he has really taken a freefall. I saw Incredible Hulk instead and I thought it was awful. Even Ed Norton couldn't save it. Liv Tyler was her usual beautiful self, that was about it. I never saw the Ang Lee version.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #893
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 PM
The Fall. wtf? I want my money back.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #894
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegee View Post

Personally, I thought the role of Anne Boleyn was far too big for Natalie Portman, however, I did enjoy the film for other reasons.
I agree.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 PM   #895
Refugee

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
The Fall. wtf? I want my money back.
Damn
Old 06-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #896
Blue Crack Distributor

Funny Games

Um. Ummmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #897
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Funny Games

Um. Ummmmmmmmmmmmm. Interesting.
Interesting in that Haneke remade his own film just a few years after the original!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #898
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:34 AM
A little spatter of what I've watched the past few days:

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka ***

Funny riff on the blaxploitation movies of the '70s. Some of the jokes fall flat, but most of it works, something that surprised me in a Wayans-centric comedy. Always great to see guys like Bernie Casey, Jim Brown, and Isaac Hayes kicking ass. It's a good, fun movie, worth checking out if you've got nothing else to watch on cable, if anything.

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask ****

Woody Allen's farce about different aspects of sex was hilarious for the most part, but like all comedy, was hit-and-miss. The medieval, sheep, mad doctor, and inner body segments all killed me, especially the sheep. I wonder why Allen hasn't worked with Gene Wilder again after this, he seemed to fit this material like a glove and would handle his later, more dramatic work well, too. The awesome quips and general cleverness had me entertained throughout, even through the less funny segments. This was my first time watching one of Allen's early comedies, and if this is a sign of what they're like, I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest.

Friday Foster ***

A kind-of-awesome blaxpoitation flick with a surprisingly good cast (Pam Grier, Yaphet Kotto, Eartha Kitt, AND Carl Weathers! Holy shit) and ridiculous storyline around a conspiracy to wipe out all of the country's black leader. It's got all of the crazy violence, random nudity, and language you could want in an hour and a half. The montage of the millionaire slowly seducing Pam Grier over the course of the day culminating in the wham-blam-thank-you-ma'am boobies shot really made my 2 AM.

The Player ***1/2

This was my first Altman flick, which may seem like blasphemy to people named Laz, but that's okay. Aside from being an "industry" flick with loads of actor cameos (most of which are unscripted), the film centers on Tim Robbins as a movie exec being stalked by a vengeful writer. He confronts a guy who he thinks is doing it and kills him, only to find out he's killed the wrong man. Altman fills this with tons of references to other films (the 8 minute-long opening shot references Welles' Touch of Evil and Hitchcock's Rope; the camera lingers on shots of posters of movies that give insight to the film's plot - things that hardcore cinephiles would pick up on and appreciate). I enjoyed this film, from a directing and performance standpoint, but would only recommend this to people who are familiar with cinema or dig movies about the film industry.

Last of the Mohicans ***1/2

This was the second time I've seen this and it didn't change what I thought about it the first time around. Seeing Daniel Day-Lewis as this ripped action hero, cleaving the hell out of Indians and running through the forest, during the French and Indian War was worth the 2 hours of watching this. Even watching the Director's Cut, I still got the sense that Mann intended to have more to this story - imagine watching his other film Heat, but after they've cut abut 45 minutes to an hour of the relationship storylines, yeah, that's how I felt with this. The score grated on me throughout, dating what's supposed to be a period film to somewhere in the early '90s - that ain't good at all. That being said, it's still a wonderfully shot and performed film and fun to watch when you're in the mood.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:35 AM   #899
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
A little spatter of what I've watched the past few days:

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka ***

Funny riff on the blaxploitation movies of the '70s. Some of the jokes fall flat, but most of it works, something that surprised me in a Wayans-centric comedy. Always great to see guys like Bernie Casey, Jim Brown, and Isaac Hayes kicking ass. It's a good, fun movie, worth checking out if you've got nothing else to watch on cable, if anything.
A very funny movie, though I thought Undercover Brother from a few years ago was actually a lot better. Neil Patrick Harris FTW.

Quote:
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask ****
That high of a rating, even though you rented this thinking it was a documentary? I could have told you what you needed to know, chief.

Quote:
The Player ***1/2
Ditto. When they do film my biopic, it might have this title. But I ain't done yet. And you better believe it's gonna be a four-star joint, bitch.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:40 AM   #900
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I didn't even bother with The Happening, I used to look forward to his movies but he has really taken a freefall. I saw Incredible Hulk instead and I thought it was awful. Even Ed Norton couldn't save it. Liv Tyler was her usual beautiful self, that was about it. I never saw the Ang Lee version.
I think you would like Incredible Hulk better after you see the Ang Lee version...it's worse (way to cartoonish...in a bad way)

Tags
movie reviews