Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah man, that's going to be excellent. I'd love to see Mann take on another really serious issue again though like The Insider. Not to say his recent films haven't been serious, but you get me.

Indeed.

Speaking of excellent, caught Kiss Kiss Bang Bang tonight, ridiculously fun action flick. It was like an un-sucky Last Boy Scout. And there's a chance I have a new little crush on Michelle Monaghan. A slight chance.

04.jpg

I swear I have no idea what you could possibly mean.

I thank Shane Black for not being afraid to show boobies.

He is a great man.

And Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was such a great movie to begin with, but Monaghan and her copious displays of flesh make it a classic.

That screenplay was award-worthy.

LMP, I think you'll appreciate repeat viewings after you've versed yourself in Film Noir a bit more.

lazarus said:
And Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was such a great movie to begin with, but Monaghan and her copious displays of flesh make it a classic.

That screenplay was award-worthy.

LMP, I think you'll appreciate repeat viewings after you've versed yourself in Film Noir a bit more.

It was just so inventive... a dog eating Robert Downey Jr.'s detached finger? Electro-shock to the nuts? Awesome.

Probably. I'd like to start reading some Raymond Chandler novels soon, too. If that adds to anything.

Late with this, but let it be known that I really enjoyed Kiss Kiss Bang Bang as well. I'm a big Kilmer and Downey fan, so I was already disposed towards enjoying it....but the script was great, and Michelle Monaghan is sort of hot, so, yeah.

Fake Michael Bay blog? :drool:

I love that av, but I've found one better. I think you may like it.

Yeah, it was someone that knew or worked with Bay....Laz might know more.....and he'd post stories about having sex with different Hollywood leading women each entry....it was hilarious, but, eventually was pulled down.

I would pay to see a Michael Bay-directed sex tape in its blue/yellow, jumpcut and slo-mo-filled glory.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Does Altman's The Long Goodbye compare to the book?

In some ways. They did it in a present-day setting, and the central conceit is that Marlowe is still essentially the same character, and is totally out of place with the time he's living in. There's a lot of dry humor in it. You really can't call it a faithful adaptation, yet it skewers Los Angeles culture at the time so well I'm sure Chandler would have appreciated. It's well worth seeing, because it's golden era Altman.

It's Chandler's most moving and saddest work, and hopefully a more serious version will come along at some point.

lazarus said:

In some ways. They did it in a present-day setting, and the central conceit is that Marlowe is still essentially the same character, and is totally out of place with the time he's living in. There's a lot of dry humor in it. You really can't call it a faithful adaptation, yet it skewers Los Angeles culture at the time so well I'm sure Chandler would have appreciated. It's well worth seeing, because it's golden era Altman.

It's Chandler's most moving and saddest work, and hopefully a more serious version will come along at some point.

Sounds interesting, then.

Sophie's choice. 10/10

Good script, and wonderful acting and music. It's the tale of a young writer (Peter "Ally McBeal/Bean" MacNichol, for once not a weirdo character) that meets the charming, yet self-destructing couple portrayed by Kevin Kline (I didn't think he could do this kind of role) and the amazing Meryl Streep, both of whom are plagued by their own demons - mental illness / memories of the war horrors. Now Kline and MacNichol may be above their usual roles but it's Streep's performance that really carries this picture. From adopting the Polish accent and learning fluent Polish and German for the role, to the perfect bland of the fragile Sophie of the present that has to deal with the unpredictable Nathan, and the emotionally drained Sophie from the war flashbacks. Particularly memorable is the scene of the unthinkable "choice" towards the end of the movie, her facial expression afterwards...she deserved all the accolades of her rich career for that alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom