Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 59 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #871
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Oh, we love Gangs around here. The dearly departed Lance tried to make love the film, such was his passion for it.

"You see this knife GAF? I'm going to teach you to speak English with this fucking knife!".
Haha nice. Bill the Butcher is one of the most quotable characters I've ever seen in any movie.

"Here's the thing... I don't give a ten-penny fuck about your moral conundrum, you meatheaded shit-sack... That's pretty much the thing."

Old 06-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #872
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Haha nice. Bill the Butcher is one of the most quotable characters I've ever seen in any movie.

"Here's the thing... I don't give a ten-penny fuck about your moral conundrum, you meatheaded shit-sack... That's pretty much the thing."
My second-favorite quote from that movie behind the knife quote NSW already used.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #873
Blue Crack Addict

I've also always been very fond of the monologue he gives when he's sitting beside Amsterdam's bed with the flag wrapped around him. I can't remember much of it right now...the story about "cutting out the eye that looks away"

The question is this:

Who is the more quotable Daniel Day character? Cutting or Plainview? I'd go with the Butcher mainly because I've seen GONY more than TWBB. But it's close.

"One night I'm going to come to you, inside of your house, wherever you're sleeping, and I'm going to cut your throat."
Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #874
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:39 AM
Butcher FTW. And I think it's the better performance, too.

But not by much.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #875
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I think Plainview's got the better quotables, but the Butcher is a better performance.

Well, Christy Brown could be quotable if you like to mumble.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #876
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Butcher FTW. And I think it's the better performance, too.

But not by much.
QFT
Old 06-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #877
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:39 AM
The Other Boleyn Girl

Too fast. The movie literally zipped through the storyline, barely leaving room for the development for some characters. Eric Bana as Henry VIII was good, but his character was the most emptiest. It was very bland. Other characters that could've been developed were Catherine of Aragon, Lady Boleyn and George Boleyn, the brother. Even Jane Seymour could've had some substance rather than just being there.

The speed of the film also took away some of the major points in the film. The movie could've expanded on Queen Catherine's trial, Anne's trial and Henry VIII's courtship with Jane Seymour.

When it comes to historical flicks, I am very picky about the accuracy of the film. While I probably know the basics of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, I doubt some of the things the movie had were true. One example was Anne being charged with incest. Yes, Henry VIII did accuse her of that because he was willing to do anything to get rid of her. But the movie portrayed Anne as willing to do the act in order to get pregnant following a miscarriage. Yes, I'm sure the scene was done for dramatic purposes, but still. I always despise it when historical movies are inaccurate. Its a pet peeve of mine, even though it happens all the time.

The only really good thing about "Boleyn Girl" was Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn. She was great playing the backstabbing, scheming Anne, and I think it was good to see Portman finally play the villain.

So, bottom line, see it if you like historical movies, but prepared to be confused. Its like being on a roller coaster that goes too fast, and you're left thinking "what just happened?"
Old 06-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #878
Blue Crack Distributor

Ha! I watched the first half of this last night. I'm not very knowlegable about the history of all of this, but it's been interesting comparing it to what I recently watched in the first season of The Tudors.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #879
Neon Zebra

The Other Boleyn Girl was based on a fictional account of historical events which is probably why it wasn't historically accurate.

In the book, we are led to believe that Anne does indeed have an incestuous relationship with George.

Personally, I thought the role of Anne Boleyn was far too big for Natalie Portman, however, I did enjoy the film for other reasons.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #880
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:39 AM
^ LOVE your sig, BeeGee!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #881
Neon Zebra

THANKS!
Old 06-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #882
Refugee

Local Time: 09:39 AM
The Fugitive

Right from the get-go, this film hits the ground running and rarely lets up. Using the immediate attack and murder of Dr. Richard Kimble's wife as a scene setter, the lengthy title sequence runs through the investigation, trial and sentencing before winding up on the slow bus to Kimble's intended prison. Granted we all have prior knowledge going in that he's been framed and will go on the lam, but it still puts us into his mindset of confusion and disbelief, all before the titles have finished.

Following on from this, we get the two biggest set pieces of the film within the first half hour (scenes famous enough to have been spoofed in two separate episodes of The Simpsons). It's a brave move to pack the major stunts right at the start of a film, but one that works for this one. Both of these escape scenes are pretty much required by the story at the start and after that it would just be silly to have any more of the same magnitude. One of the things I like about this film is that it's not episodic, everything plays out smoothly and the dramatic encounters never feel too forced. The one scene that does seem a bit too coincidental is when the house Kimble is staying at gets raided by the police, but it turns out they were after his landlady's drugdealing son. It can be seen as a cheap way of adding some quick tension, but it serves the purpose of pushing the US Marshalls' pursuit of Kimble forward and also Gerrard's doubts of Kimble's guilt.

And that right there is what makes the film for me. I understand it was an important part of the TV show (which I've never seen) and so not original to the film, but the dogged pursuit of Gerrard after Kimble and the uneasy respect between them is beautifully played out. It's always odd to remember that they only share three scenes, four if you include a telephone call. Tommy Lee Jones is great as Samuel Gerrard, with the infamous exchange in the aquaducts ("I didn't kill my WIFE!" / "I don't care!") perfectly and simply sums up his early character. I also like the way he deals with shit from people, passively letting it wash over him before pulling out his ace and totally sticking it to them.

While I'm on Gerrard, the interaction between all of the US Marshalls is another highlight of the film for me. I actually cared for these characters and even though they were pursuing the "good guy", they are doing so with the utmost conviction within the law. Their banter is great, affording them all some personality outside of obvious cliches and even though I can't name any of them after the film has finished I could describe them pretty well without having to go "the stupid / bitchy / geeky / mentalist one".

Harrison Ford has a tougher role as Kimble, and it's with his character that the film makes the most mistakes. Here we have a well respected, intelligent doctor with absolutely no moral scruples who goes out of his way at time to help people in need. How boring is that? It reminds me of the difference between the Gregory Peck / Nick Nolte incarnations of Sam Bowden in Cape Fear. Peck is all-American and dull as dishwater. Nolte is morally ambiguous and broke the law against Cady. He's interesting. Anyway, Ford does alright in the role but generally carries a worried expression throughout the whole film. I've heard complaints about this, but in all honesty, how else could he play it. He's a weel-to-do surgeon in over his head without a clue and Tommy Lee Jones after his ass. I'd be worried most of the time if that were me.

I do have faults with the film. The hospital scene where the good doc helps a poorly kid is horribly mawkish (music and all) and temporarily stops the perfect pace. We know he's a good guy already. I suppose it does tell Gerrard this, but geez, he already helped the prison guard from the bus AND could have totally blown him away in the aquaduct but didn't. A good Samairtan act just wasn't necessary. The film is also dated horribly in some places, like the photographic images of the crime scene complete with thuderous camera clicks. How very early-90s TV drama it is. And I honestly don't get where Kimble gets his money from to pay for food, rent and clothes. Has he bummed off all his old mates or what?

But I love this film. Last time I sat down to do a favourite films list (going back a few years) now, this came out pretty high. Even with a few more years worth of films I don't doubt that this still stands for a second.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #883
Blue Crack Addict

Great review. Well written, well thought out. Your review took me back to when I first saw the movie.

Love the film. Like you said, it hooks you within the first half hour. The bus sequence especially.

I think Ford does a really good job, and obviously Jones does too.

NIce review, though, monkeyskin!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:23 PM   #884
Refugee

Local Time: 09:39 AM
Cheers bud.

I hadn't seen it for years before Thursday evening and it just had me going all over again. It's not high art but for my money one of the best and entertaining thrillers of the decade.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #885
Blue Crack Addict

The Happening 2/10

M. Night Shyamalan's worst film.

Tags
movie reviews