Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 48 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #706
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:42 AM
That's cool.

Speed Racer interests me and I'd have to see it on IMAX if I were to see it, but I've gotta save money for Indy IV and any other Lady Friend rendezvous.

I think this summer is going to pwn, and Iron Man was a terrific start.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #707
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 AM
Speed Raver > Indy 4.

I don't even need to see the latter to be 100% certain of that.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #708
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I'd still like to see both before I pass judgment on either.

Posted some thoughts on Goodfellas in the Random Talk thread if you'd like to comment.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:39 AM   #709
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 AM
LA Vie En Rose is fuggin spectacular.

Took a while to find its rhythm, but I'd be a bald faced liar if I said I wasn't in tears for the last 10 minutes or so of this sucker.

And I'm officially of the Marion Cotillard faith from this point onward.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:39 PM   #710
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Control. I really liked it. I'll probably like it less in the morning, but I think watching it at midnight while it's raining heavily outside was a pretty good choice. Visuals were really nice, as expected. Found a bit of the dialogue rather cold - I also can't remember how closely it fits in with the real thing, but it did the job.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #711
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Hannah and Her Sisters -- 9/10

Loved it! From start to finish I laughed my ass off. Great characters, great dialogue, uncomfortable scenes that made me squirm, and happy scenes that just had me beaming. I can't wait to watch it again!

Crimes and Misdemeanors -- 7/10

Good film. Some great scenes that really made me cringe. However, I saw it 2 days after Hannah and Her Sisters, and Crimes . . . just didn't quite get there for me. It felt a bit heavy-handed and overdone at points, especially the flashback to the morality discussions at the dinner table on the Sabbath. I *really* hated Martin Landau's character in this, but I guess that just means he did his job perfectly!

The Anniversary Party -- 7/10

Great conceit. I love the idea of real-life actor friends just kicking back and making a somewhat improvisational movie together. However, it was definitely too melodramatic at times, especially with all the tragedies and revelations toward the end. And though I really only severely disliked the Alan Cumming character, I'm not sure I really liked most of the characters . . . especially not enough to root for them.

There were a few that really got to me and I liked them a lot. John Benjamin Hickey, because I love him and everything he does. Phoebe Cates was really good and not as neurotic as the rest. I liked how Mina Badie (the neighbor wife) came out of her uptight shell and finally relaxed enough to let her hair down, and Kevin Cline is always a treat.

Jennifer Jason Leigh is definitely a top-notch actress, but I don't know that it did her any services in this film, playing such a self-obsessed, whiny, narcissitic character.

I was definitely entertained by this movie, and did laugh a bunch, but this is definitely not a party I would want to be invited to.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #712
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:42 AM
Forgetting Sarah Marshall 7.5 / 10

This movie was better than I expected.

The premise is much more believable than Knocked Up.

Sure, this guy is no hot stud, but he is not a complete loser. The premise that a TV actress could be hooked up with the composer for her TV show is very plausible.

That being said all four actors were very good in their parts. the writing was consistent , a bit exaggerated at times, I like it a bit more subtle, but the audience loved it.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #713
Blue Crack Distributor

Charlie Wilson's War

7/10

I dug it just fine and enjoyed a lot of the banter-y lines. Fast-moving film. Thought Julia Roberts was very well-suited for her role.

Not much else to say!
Old 05-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #714
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:42 AM
The Great Debaters. 7/10

It was an interesting movie, although not really historically accurate. I liked it well enough but it was by no means great. The casting was well done, though.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #715
Refugee

Local Time: 02:42 PM
Monkeyskin's Cinema Round-up

Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Very funny, very sweet and more or less surprisingly real. While some of the main characters are more developed than others it feels really honest and never forces its characters to act totally out of character for the purposes of a forced plot point. The best part of the film for me was the dinner table scene, the way the two men in Sarah's life rip her last film to shreds with relish while Mila Kunis gamely tries to stick up for her is spot on, as is the way the night carries on. Never thought I'd say this either but Russell Brand was terrific in a role that must surely be tailored to him. The dialogue in his final scene had me in stitches.

This film is really hard to criticise. It supplies both the laughs and heart in spades and for the most part resisted the urge to get too crude like many comedies do these days. Well worth it.

Grindhouse
Oh how I've waited to finally see this on the cinema. To quickly remind everyone, this was split up into the two separate, extended films for everywhere but the USA and they came out September / November last year. But some lovely people have managed to get hold of a few prints and are currently touring them round the UK (Australia had the same recently too).

So, as it was a one-night only showing the place was packed and the atmosphere for the runtime was brilliant. Planet Terror earned near continuous laughter and grossed out groans pretty much from start to finish, as did the fake trailers. During Death Proof the mirth was a bit kore subdued, although the funny lines hit the right notes. It was absolutely electric during the first crash and final car chases though. Quite simply, one of the most fun experiences I've ever had at the cinema without taking a girl with me.

Iron Man
Wasn't sure if I was going to make the effort for this but I'm glad I did. Robert Downey Jr was worth it all by himself, throwing out golden lines so casually it's hard to imagine anyone else in the role of Tony Stark. Hopefully the rumours of him unwiling to return for the sequels prove to be unfounded. To be frank the rest of the film and particularly the finale were pretty average, neither bad nor anything we haven't all seen before in other superhero movies. But Downey has taken an interesting character and created one of the most entertaining protagonists in recent years. It's also refreshing for him to still be the same character at the end of the film as he was at the start, granted with a more morale conscience. All those brooding, conflicted and oh so noble heroes have got a wee bit wearing. Tony Stark is the new top dog in my eyes. Hell, even his beard is cool.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #716
Blue Crack Addict

Saw Sarah Marshall tonight.

It was cool. Very funny moments throughout. Russell Brand provided some truly brilliant comedy. And yes, monkeyskin, the dinner scene where the four leads confront eachother near the end is easily the highlight of the movie. The delivery of the line "bloody awful movie" when talking about Sarah's latest film had me laughing my ass off. And the rest of the scene was perfect, too.

However, it wasn't incredibly memorable. I knew going into it that Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis are smoking hot and I left thinking the same thing. That's pretty much all I got out of it besides the laughs.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 AM   #717
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
Control. I really liked it. I'll probably like it less in the morning, but I think watching it at midnight while it's raining heavily outside was a pretty good choice. Visuals were really nice, as expected. Found a bit of the dialogue rather cold - I also can't remember how closely it fits in with the real thing, but it did the job.
I loved it. It also carries the dubious distinction of being the only movie I've seen in my life where I was the only one in the theatre. I've been with a friend and we've been the only ones before, but I couldn't remember ever being totally alone before. It was creepy and wonderful, and the perfect film for that experience.

I just noticed in my netflix queue that it is released on DVD on June 3, if anyone missed it.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #718
Blue Crack Addict

Lars & the Real Girl - I couldn't imagine how they were going to sustain this storyline believably for the length of the film but they did, and I bought it, and it was sweet.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #719
Blue Crack Addict

Alright, so I'm gonna post a rambling but spoiler-free review of INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL here.

The operative word here is FUN.

It's been about 3 hours now since I actually left the theater. I didn't talk to any of my friends for about 20 minutes after we walked out....I needed some time to reflect in silence.

It rocks. It's funny. It's thrilling. It winks at the past but is firmly set in its time period...they make no mistake about this being set in the 50's. That is especially the case in the first half of the movie - which, right now, I would say I enjoyed more than the second half.

Ford owns the role as much as he ever has.

Spielberg gives us a lot of his grand hero shots of Indy, and the shots look great. Obviously this guy is a master filmmaker...and he lets us know what he's capable of early and often.

Shia didn't bug me at all - in fact I really liked his character for the most part and thought he had some cool moments.

The big action scenes were fucking awesome...the audience (packed theater) cheered more than a few times. I think the first half of the movie stands up with a lot of the high points of the rest of the series - especially the sequences surrounding Indy and Mutt's first encounter.

There were moments after the midway point where I felt things didn't quite click and the pace was off. But whatever, the more I think about it, the more I want to go back and watch it again.

Final verdict -

The smiles that kept appearing on my face outweighed any shortcomings that I came across.

Indy Jones !!!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #720
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Into the Wild which was produced by Sean Penn. ESCELLENT film. I highly recommend it to everyone. It ws slightly long at over 2 hours, but the message is great, the scenery is gorgeous and the ending is.....well, you'll just have to see it to find out for yourself.

Tags
movie reviews