Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Strawberry Fields and Happiness Is a Warm Gun sequences were awesome, but everything else put me off from any type of visual flair or greatness that I nearly gave up halfway through.

Revolution was particularly grating.

I'm doing an epinions write-up for it so I can tear it to shreds again and make a few cents.

Plus, it has a 3.5/5 there. Unacceptable.

Jaws is still one of the two or three greatest American films of all time. Easily a 9.5/10. I laughed, I cried, I shat myself in sheer terror. Amazing.

If you shout... said:
Jaws is still one of the two or three greatest American films of all time. Easily a 9.5/10. I laughed, I cried, I shat myself in sheer terror. Amazing.

After 300 viewings you still shit yourself?

Does too many visits to the Yakitori-ya give one the runs???

:)

If you shout... said:

No.

Maybe Spielberg's best, but of all time?

No.

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

lazarus said:

No.

Maybe Spielberg's best, but of all time?

No.

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

No worries, I definitely don't think that it's the best film ever made--nor even the best American film. Just top two or three. Obviously, Seven Samurai is the greatest film ever made. Even a deaf, blind mute could "tell" you that.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I was thinking Fast Times.

That movie is HORRIBLE because all they did was smoke pot and surf and that's NOT providing strong role models to any kids that happen to watch the film.

However, Sean Penn taking a shiv to the ribs from Esai Morales is a-ok.

:hmm:

Speaking of okay, I just watched my first Woody Allen movies today and yesterday: The Purple Rose of Cairo and Hannah and Her Sisters - loved them both.

I hope Woody Allen films are something everything in here can agree on. I love most of them, I know Laz does too....not sure about Lance, or Monkeyskin, etc......Manhattan is my favorite, with Annie Hall a close 2nd.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Speaking of okay, I just watched my first Woody Allen movies today and yesterday: The Purple Rose of Cairo and Hannah and Her Sisters - loved them both.

I think this is worth one day of clemency, no?

You know what they get for rape in a small town? Especially by a man in a pith helmet?

No spoken words said:
I hope Woody Allen films are something everything in here can agree on. I love most of them, I know Laz does too....not sure about Lance, or Monkeyskin, etc......Manhattan is my favorite, with Annie Hall a close 2nd.

I've seen a few of his, some of them pretty recently:

Annie Hall
The Purple Rose of Cairo
Husbands and Wives
Manhattan
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Hannah and Her Sisters
Crimes and Misdemenours
Small Time Crooks

That's a rough order of preference, but there's not a film there I didn't enjoy.

Hey??

Like watching movies?

Like reviewing them?

How about filling out a ballot for the Inteference Movie Awards?

Rank your 5 favorites in each category.

We'll accept any ballot, however much you're able to fill out.

And Art Direction is the design of the sets, props, etc. including the colors and all that stuff.

One week left until the official nominations are announced!

http://forum.interference.com/t183661.html

From all of the hype Laz gives it, I'm excited to see Crimes and Misdemeanors.

I think I slightly loved Hannah and Her Sisters more than Purple Rose... it's all because of Michael Caine.

Well, Purple Rose is a trifle. A great trifle, but not much more.

Crimes & Misdemeanors is some heavy, dark shit.

But funny.

The grand prize is Stardust Memories, though. You have no idea of what Woody is capable of cinematically. It's one of his few films where the direction surpasses the screenplay. His most artistically accomplished endeavor.

Gone Baby Gone - 9/10

Excellent movie. I didn't see any of the plot twists coming. I actually thought it was gonna go a completely different way. Ben Affleck does a great job directing. He really gives you a feel for the neighborhood and the people who live in lower-class Boston. Great performances by Ed Harris and Casey Affleck too.

lazarus said:
Well, Purple Rose is a trifle. A great trifle, but not much more.

Crimes & Misdemeanors is some heavy, dark shit.

But funny.

The grand prize is Stardust Memories, though. You have no idea of what Woody is capable of cinematically. It's one of his few films where the direction surpasses the screenplay. His most artistically accomplished endeavor.

I'm excited for that one then.

Just finished Annie Hall fully for the first time and really enjoyed it. His style of writing is exactly the style I've been trying to develop on my own: conversational, but with a unique voice. This is going to be a great inspiration as a go through the rest of his films. As much as I loved it, Star Wars > Annie Hall, fucking dead Academy voters.

Well, I finally saw Michael Clayton.

Standing alone, it's a decent film. Clooney's great (but yeah, I really don't get the fuss over him :shrug: ) and the ending almost makes it worth it, but when comparing it to TWBB and No Country there's no doubt the other two films are far and away more deserving of accolades.

7/10

LemonMacPhisto said:

I'm excited for that one then.

Just finished Annie Hall fully for the first time and really enjoyed it. His style of writing is exactly the style I've been trying to develop on my own: conversational, but with a unique voice. This is going to be a great inspiration as a go through the rest of his films. As much as I loved it, Star Wars > Annie Hall, fucking dead Academy voters.

I still don't really think Star Wars was worthy there. It's great entertainment, but the direction is still amateurish, the script flimsy at times. Annie Hall wasn't just a funny script. The direction was very creative as well, and I think it deserved everything it received.

I'm probably letting nostalgia get to me. Star Wars still has the greater technical achievement (which it was fairly awarded), but arguably a larger impact on film and popular culture than Annie Hall - then again, I could be wrong.

It's not like Kramer vs. Kramer beating Apocalypse Now or some terrible oversight, far from it, but no matter how much I love and respect Annie Hall, and definitely will as I get older, I will love Star Wars more and feel it's as deserving as any other film is for any "serious" award.

Star Wars did have a larger impact, though whether that was a good or bad thing is debatable. It helped usher in the era of the summer blockbuster and tentpole film, which many critics feel sounded the death knell for the maverick period of the 70's.

And SW's achivements were mainly, as you say, technical. You can't really argue that Lucas' homage to serials of the 1930's added to the language of film, or that it was some kind of artistic milestone, whereas Annie Hall is a pretty distinct landmark in film comedy. You can see is in everything from Ferris Bueller's Day Off to Juno.

Also, in addition to being one of the funniest films ever made, Annie Hall is a great love story as well. What Keaton brings is not only her unique, kooky persona (which doesn't seem like a complete stretch from her real one, a la Ellen Page), but the suggestion of depth despite her naivety and occasional posturing that makes it believable someone could fall hard for her, and have trouble getting over her when it ended. Woody's notions about love, and the capstone of "we keep doing it because we need the eggs" isn't necessarily profound or any type of revelation, but speaks to the absurdity of the ongoing search for a mate in a way than anyone who's loved and lost should be able to relate to.

In short, it's not as slight as it may first appear.

It also gave us "I forgot my Mantra" which cracks me up to no end. Maybe YLB is like his little buddy PFan: An anti-semite.

Laz, where are you with:

The Road

The Wire

Fucking speak.

The Road: check the Books thread man, cuz you're in cinema city.

The Wire: Just finished Season 1 after a 6 episode marathon viewing session yesterday. Just....wow. What I can't believe is that this show somehow gets even better, from what I've heard. Is that possible? McNulty is a fucking MAN.

I go in the book thread, must have missed your post in The Road. I shall go look again.

The Wire is fucking unreal. Season 2 to some is a step back, but, is still strong.....3 is great, 4, to me, was the best thing I've ever seen on TV. 5, so far, has been excellent as well.

Glad you are digging it.

I've been watching Mad Men. Enjoying it greatly.

Saying that "nothing happens" in The Road was a bit of a stretch by Lance, if you ask me.

I thought the book was amazing and the ending of it smacked me in the face, and stayed with me for some time.

No spoken words said:
Saying that "nothing happened" when my ass was a bit stretched by Lance without asking me?

I thought the sex was amazing though the ending of it smacked me in the face, and stayed on me for some time.

Not easy, but worth it.

lazarus said:
Star Wars did have a larger impact, though whether that was a good or bad thing is debatable. It helped usher in the era of the summer blockbuster and tentpole film, which many critics feel sounded the death knell for the maverick period of the 70's.

And SW's achivements were mainly, as you say, technical. You can't really argue that Lucas' homage to serials of the 1930's added to the language of film, or that it was some kind of artistic milestone, whereas Annie Hall is a pretty distinct landmark in film comedy. You can see is in everything from Ferris Bueller's Day Off to Juno.

Also, in addition to being one of the funniest films ever made, Annie Hall is a great love story as well. What Keaton brings is not only her unique, kooky persona (which doesn't seem like a complete stretch from her real one, a la Ellen Page), but the suggestion of depth despite her naivety and occasional posturing that makes it believable someone could fall hard for her, and have trouble getting over her when it ended. Woody's notions about love, and the capstone of "we keep doing it because we need the eggs" isn't necessarily profound or any type of revelation, but speaks to the absurdity of the ongoing search for a mate in a way than anyone who's loved and lost should be able to relate to.

In short, it's not as slight as it may first appear.

I see what you mean; again, my opinion will change as I get older and let it digest over time, especially on the subtleties of this movie (it's hard to relate when I haven't experienced most of this myself). It's very hard getting into the "original" inspiration after swimming in a sea of derivatives, you know? But I'm trying... I'm trying real hard, to be the shepherd.

The '70s is slowly becoming my favorite decade for film - is it your favorite, too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom