Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #526
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Burn, bitch.

And I don't think Shanghai is happening anymore, but who knows with WKW.
In interviews from the last week or two he's said several times he's doing pre-production on both Shanghai and Grandmaster, waiting to decide which one to film first, depending on his casts' schedules.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:39 PM   #527
Blue Crack Addict

You know...already, the longer this one rests in my mind, the more I continue to like it.

I'm trying to download a DVD rip of the original (longer) cut right now, which I'll watch for comparison.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #528
Blue Crack Addict

All The Real Girls is probably one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I loved it, but I think I also really hated it, or at least what it did to me.

I need a new Zooey av.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #529
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Welcome to the club.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #530
Refugee

Local Time: 06:42 AM
Alien 3 - Quadrilogy Assembly Cut
As a big fan of the original Alien and with the sequel being one of my personal favourites ever, I really want to like this installment. The ideas are there in spades, e.g. the alien taking on a different species' characteristics, Ripley's character arc continuing to grow and reverting back to similar themes from the original. There's also the talent involved in front of and behind the camera.

But even in this 30 minutes longer version things just don't quite work. Killing off the rest of the survivors from Aliens is a bad idea right from the off in my eyes and while it pushes Ripley into an interesting yet logical direction it makes the rest of the film far too bleak. It also borrows from Alien a bit too much in the plot structure department. I'm sure a lot of my gripes can be put down to a famously troubled development and production (it's a wonder the film even got made) but while that may be an excuse it doesn't actually redeem the film.

But at least it's not the travesty that was Alien Ressurection.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #531
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyskin
Alien 3 - Quadrilogy Assembly Cut
As a big fan of the original Alien and with the sequel being one of my personal favourites ever, I really want to like this installment. The ideas are there in spades, e.g. the alien taking on a different species' characteristics, Ripley's character arc continuing to grow and reverting back to similar themes from the original. There's also the talent involved in front of and behind the camera.

But even in this 30 minutes longer version things just don't quite work. Killing off the rest of the survivors from Aliens is a bad idea right from the off in my eyes and while it pushes Ripley into an interesting yet logical direction it makes the rest of the film far too bleak. It also borrows from Alien a bit too much in the plot structure department. I'm sure a lot of my gripes can be put down to a famously troubled development and production (it's a wonder the film even got made) but while that may be an excuse it doesn't actually redeem the film.

But at least it's not the travesty that was Alien Ressurection.
I've always kind of liked Alien 3, not as much as the first two of course, but it's an interesting project. I wonder what it would've been like if they stuck to the original idea of having the aliens on Earth.

"On Earth, everyone can hear you scream" is one of the best un-used taglines ever.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #532
Refugee

It's definitely interesting, but very frustrating when you think what Fincher could have done with more time, resources and less studio interference.

As for Aliens on Earth I guess we have Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem instead
Old 04-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #533
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyskin
It's definitely interesting, but very frustrating when you think what Fincher could have done with more time, resources and less studio interference.

As for Aliens on Earth I guess we have Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem instead
Fincher's brilliant. I love Fight Club, Se7en, and Zodiac, kind of like The Game and Alien 3, and haven't seen Panic Room.

That version of Alien 3 is one of my favorite "Best Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda Projects" of all-time.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #534
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Forgetting Sarah Marshall. 8.5/10

It was a nice combination of low brow and high brow humor. The English dude absolutely made the movie. Some really funny parts but the one thing that's kind of getting tired with respect to this genre is this idiotic suggestion that it's fine for a man to be tubby, kinda lazy and unambitious but so long as he's a nice guy who can laugh at himself (and has a sensitive side), he'll land some hot chick who will see past his many, many faults. Yarite.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #535
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Some really funny parts but the one thing that's kind of getting tired with respect to this genre is this idiotic suggestion that it's fine for a man to be tubby, kinda lazy and unambitious but so long as he's a nice guy who can laugh at himself (and has a sensitive side), he'll land some hot chick who will see past his many, many faults. Yarite.
Haven't seen it yet but when I saw the trailer I thought the same thing. I had a similar response to a rental I saw last night, "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead," which opens with an astonishing sex scene with a tubby Philip Seymour Hoffman and a hot Marisa Tomei. I'll spare you the details of the position but it was way more than I wanted to see of Hoffman (great actor and all...but please, stop encouraging this male fantasy).
Old 04-21-2008, 01:19 AM   #536
Blue Crack Addict

The Hoff deserves every hot 40-year old woman they cast him with. He's too talented not to be an unattractive fat man. If he looked like Brad Pitt the world would implode from the awe.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #537
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Forgetting Sarah Marshall. 8.5/10

It was a nice combination of low brow and high brow humor. The English dude absolutely made the movie. Some really funny parts but the one thing that's kind of getting tired with respect to this genre is this idiotic suggestion that it's fine for a man to be tubby, kinda lazy and unambitious but so long as he's a nice guy who can laugh at himself (and has a sensitive side), he'll land some hot chick who will see past his many, many faults. Yarite.
Definitely. I am still waiting to see a movie just like this with an "unattractive" woman like that who has her pick of insanely hot guys, before I die. Is there a female Judd Apatow out there somewhere? Would guys go see it?

I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall and for me the joke's getting old. The sex stuff is way over the top, presumably to make it funnier. Doesn't for me. It just seems like lazy writing.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #538
Blue Crack Addict

^

We'll never see a movie like that. Women need to hit the gym 5 days a week (at least) and look put together at all times. Meanwhile, men can be affable losers who sit on their couch in stained track pants and eat disgusting things.

In other news...

Lions for Lambs. 2/10.

Heinously stupid movie. The only reason I'm not giving it a 0 is because I like Meryl Streep a bit more than I hate Tom Cruise. The whole side plot with Robert Redford was just interminable dreck. And the final scene - laughable. It's like people consciously got together to make a pretentious "film" that basically keeps re-stating the obvious. Wait, wait, the media abdicated their duty when it came to reporting on the Iraq war?? No shit, Sherlock! Everything in this movie was treated as some huge revelation...I guess it was if you have an IQ in the double digits.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #539
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Definitely. I am still waiting to see a movie just like this with an "unattractive" woman like that who has her pick of insanely hot guys, before I die. Is there a female Judd Apatow out there somewhere? Would guys go see it?
Sex and the City already did it.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #540
The Male

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Dr. Strangelove (Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb)

I don't mention it much, but I'm a big fan of satirical war films, along with black and white cinematography. It seems natural that this would be a favorite of mine, and it is indeed very enjoyable. Brief, subtle, and entirely amusing when given the attention it deserves.

"You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

The plot itself quite brilliant, a General during the Cold War, gone mad with paranoia, sends a group of planes to blow up Russia, convincing himself that the "Ruskies" are using fluorinated water to ruin our "purity of essence" (a theory he formulates while having sex). It's so delightfully absurd, yet positively frightening.

The movie is filled with subtle, witty humor, with a slight English bent.

"Oh, no more than 10 to 20 million killed, tops...depending on the breaks."

The film feels claustrophobic, as most of the action takes place indoors, and most of the flight sequences feel strange and dreamy. It's a weird film to look at, but Kubrick did a good job.

The acting takes an occasionally bland script and brings it to life. George C. Scott's portrayal of the hyper-conservative, racist Buck Turgidson is extremely convincing, as is Sterling Hayden's psychotic Jack D. Ripper. Peter Sellers' triple performance is obviously the crux of the film, and cements his legacy as a brilliant actor.

Overall, while slow at times, it's shockingly relevant and dark...yet very humorous. There isn't much to dislike, and its short 94 minute runtime keeps it moving at a brisk pace. Not perfect, but great regardless.

8.5/10

Now.

Tags
movie reviews