Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #511
Refugee

Local Time: 10:16 AM
Pretty much agree with you there laz. True Romance is a fun favourite of mine and a great piece of entertainment.

I swing back and forth on NBK. On the one hand I admire the ambition and energy that Stone throws into assaulting our senses with a barrage of media, but it sure does leave a sour aftertaste and most if not all of the characters are loathsome.

Going back to QT-directed films, I just feel that they have too much filler in them since Jackie Brown. Kill Bill doesn't need to be two films and Death Proof could well have packed a bigger punch for me had it have been the originally planned 45 minutes long. I don't mind meandering films if they're compelling or absorbing but the dialogue in Death Proof just wasn't acceptable. That goes doubly so for the second set of girls, I really wanted them all to die horribly and FAST.

That said the action scenes in KB / DP were excellent and KB had enough other flashes of brilliance to keep me interested in whatever Tarantino comes out with next.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #512
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Inglorious Bastards needs to come out right now.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:56 AM   #513
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:16 AM
YILB.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #514
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Nice.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #515
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Almost too easy.

I'm really loving that score from Cloverfield right now.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #516
Blue Crack Supplier

Everything's Gone Green (Paul Cox, 2007)

This is the first original screenplay from acclaimed author Douglas Coupland (best known for his novel Generation X), and it was very reminiscent of his other work, with the quirk factor toned down a notch. It's refreshing to see something shot in Vancover (Coupland's hometown) that's actually taking place in the same city.

Green is about a slacker who, sick of going from one dead-end job to another, goes in on a get-rich-quick scam that forces him to question his own stance on the acquisition of wealth, status symbols, etc. There's also a nice little love story that's not one of those too good to be true things.

If you're a fan of the author, I'd highly suggest seeing it. If you just want to see a refreshing comedy that pokes fun at consumer culture and how people can get stuck along the way to fulfilling their dreams, it might be for you as well.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #517
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:16 AM
^ I noticed that's in my netflix queue but I have no memory of putting it there. Now I'm looking forward to it.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #518
Blue Crack Supplier

Wow, I didn't think anyone had even heard of it!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #519
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Wow, I didn't think anyone had even heard of it!
I always seek out "best of" indie movie lists each year and now I think that's probably where I got it from, somebody's list.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #520
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:16 AM
Smart People

3 out of 10 if you're really starved for "entertainment" in any form-and SJP is a doctor, 1 point for that I guess and for Ellen Page being cute

The power went out with about 20 min or so left in the movie, I took the voucher for a free future ticket and honestly I couldn't give a hoot what happened at the end. It was so boring and pretentious and Ellen Page was just another Juno (will she be a one note wonder and fade into oblivion?), albeit an uptight Republican one with creepy feelings towards her uncle (adopted so you don't get completely creeped out I guess). I would have to sneak in to see the ending if it's still even in my theater next week, don't know if I'd even want to spend the 4 dollars to rent it and fast forward to the end.

Dennis Quaid looked so bad that I couldn't get past it and SJP didn't look good either, I like her and think she's an appealing person on screen and lovely but her acting, I dunno. Why is Thomas Haden Church even in a movie? Well he was nominated for an Oscar but personally I don't get it

This is by the same people who did Sideways, I guess
Old 04-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #521
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Blood Diamond. Exciting, scenic, bloody, fast moving, keeps your interest, Leonardo DiCaprio , true story Excellent movie, I highly recommend it.

I also saw The Departed this weekend, sort of still confused by it, hard to figure out who the real rat was in the film. Boston accents were good tho. Matt Damon gets killed off tho
Old 04-18-2008, 04:24 PM   #522
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:16 AM
I took a long lunch today and saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall. For me it wasn't as funny as Knocked Up (or 40 Year Old Virgin). I think these movies are becoming formula and predictable, so maybe that's why it didn't seem as funny to me.

I did like Jason Segel (he wrote the script), he's like Seth Rogen only cuter. The review I read this morning called him "big and squishy and full of moles". He's lovable. And Mila Kunis is really beautiful.

There were a few senior citizens there since it was a matinee, I wondered what the heck they were doing there. Especially after the opening scene. I think they just go to movies without any idea of the content sometimes, or maybe they're really hip and cool

3 or 2 1/2 out of 4 stars I guess, not sure
Old 04-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #523
New Yorker

I just saw Crash for the 1st time this week one of those movies I always wanted to see, but never got around to it...I just LOVED it I was a nervous wreck in some parts of it!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #524
Blue Crack Addict

My Blueberry Nights

I've been waiting for this one for a while, obviously, and even beat Teh Laz to the punch for a change. Wong Kar-Wai's first English Language film and American production. Well, sadly it shows. He was forced to film this one on a tighter schedule than he's likely ever had to before, due to budgetary and schedule constraints with the cast and crew. His off-the-cuff improvisational filmmaking methods might not translate too well into the Hollywood production template, as this film feels unfinished, or at least not fully-realized, and often forced. I'm guessing the language barrier is the main culprit aside from the short production. Even though he co-wrote the screenplay with American writer Lawrence Block, far too much of the dialogue feels almost as though it's mocking the cheap American road-movie instead of embracing the genre, though it's likely more of an outsider's "I think this is how American movie characters are supposed to express love/frustration/empathy/etc." when it's all just not quite right. On top of that, the story simply doesn't work, at least not in the way it's presented here. Maybe the longer European cut of the film helps flesh it out, but the pace is too quick to really dig into these characters as well as it should. One problem might be excusable without the other (the pace and the dialogue) but together they can make MBN a bit tough to swallow.

But that's pretty much where my complaints end. This is still an inescapably WKW film. One misses Christopher Doyle here and there, but Khondji capably fills his shoes here. There's something about the rhythm of the film that's less engaging than previous efforts though, as I said before. MBN lacks the pure kinetic grace of something like Fallen Angels or 2046. The presentation is gorgeous, and the soundtrack is as good as we come to expect. Norah Jones pulls a surprising screen debut here. She's easily the weakest link in the cast, but her supporting ensemble seems to cover her weaknesses more than they highlight them. Speaking of which, Jude Law isn't nearly as disappointing as I was led to believe going into this. Sure the accent is weird, but he's a great actor, and brings sincerity to the Jeremy/Elizabeth relationship the film hinges on. Natalie Portman is probably at her best, though her role is heart-breakingly short (I hope to see more of her in the Euro-cut). It's been said before though, and I'll say it again now, David Strathairn and Rachel Weisz absolutely steal the show. There's scenes in the middle Memphis segment of the film are far and above the rest, and as good as they are, it's a shame they almost make one wish their story should have been the one filmed here in its entirety.

Overall, I'm not entirely convinced one way or another whether I liked or dislikes My Blueberry Nights. The positives make it worth watching, and are already drawing me back to this film, but the negatives might just be too strong to overcome. It is necessary to see this one again to really pin it down, and I could see my opinion of it moving radically in one direction or another after I have. It's certainly at the bottom of the Wong Kar-Wai foodchain, competing with As Tears Go Far for the bottom rung, but given the director's extremely high standard of quality, that's hardly much of a disservice. Ultimately I'd like to think this film is more of a necessary growing pain in WKW's transition into foreign production methods, and it's still an admirable experiment for the celebrated Hong Kong auteur. MBN was born during Wong's exploration of filming locations for pre-production of The Lady From Shanghai, a film he's currently prepping starring Nicole Kidman. It won't be an entirely American production, but I'm glad he took the chance with one to get his feet wet in preparation. I think we'll continue to see exceptional work come from him in his next two projects(The Lady From Shanghai and The Grandmaster - a Yip Man biopic), hopefully on the level of his previous 2000's work
Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #525
Blue Crack Supplier

Burn, bitch.

And I don't think Shanghai is happening anymore, but who knows with WKW.

Tags
movie reviews