Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when that came out. My friends and I would say to each other in the trailer guy voice: "Dolph Lundgren IS The Punisher!" That guy was a stiff.

There was also a Roger Corman-produced Fantastic Four that is out of print, but supposedly was one of the more wretched things ever committed to celluloid.

And do y'all know that in the late 80's/early 90's Terry Gilliam was attached to Watchmen?

I'm not saying it would have been good, but it's interesting to think about.

He was also J.K. Rowling's choice to direct the first Harry Potter movie, apparently.

Shut Up and Sing

As a fan of the Dixie Chicks, I dug it. :up:

I'd like to see them next time they swing through my area on tour.

It's A Wonderful Life

EXCELLENT. a classic in truest form. James Stewart is unbelievably convincing. what an incredible movie. WATCH IT!

I agree with this assessment... I have always defended Shamallama-dingdong but this "film" has given me pause...

The part with the lion was so bad I felt embarrassed for for all involved :tsk:

No kidding. I saw this Friday and at times my friends and I were laughing so hard we were crying. Unbelievably, Mystery Science Theatre - caliber bad.

I almost saw Get Smart today, probably will later in the week. I haven't seen any rave reviews for it, lukewarm at best, but I'd still like to check it out to see Carell in action.

Am going to see this this weekend. I haven't heard any reviews on it, but I like Steve Carell so we'll see. :shrug:

Control

I thought it was very good, and a beautiful film. The lead actor was just great. For a moment, the movie made me want to give Joy Division another chance (I've just never been able to get into them) ... then I watched the clip of Joy Division performing on the DVD extras and thought again.

I just don't like Ian Curtis' voice. So I'll just remain one of those unhip folks who like "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and New Order, but not Joy Division :wink:

Control

I thought it was very good, and a beautiful film. The lead actor was just great. For a moment, the movie made me want to give Joy Division another chance (I've just never been able to get into them) ... then I watched the clip of Joy Division performing on the DVD extras and thought again.

I just don't like Ian Curtis' voice. So I'll just remain one of those unhip folks who like "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and New Order, but not Joy Division :wink:

If it's any consolation, even if you did like Joy Division, you'd still be unhip.

:hug:

Saw Wall•E today. Loved it. Wall-e has to be one of the most endearing characters Pixar has created, which is quite an accomplishment considering he only says about 4 different words throughout the entire film.

Brief round up:

The Happening - 3.0

M Night's worst feature yet, there wasn't anything offensively bad about it, and there wasn't a single thing worthy of admiration either. Quite simply one of the most dull, uninvolving, and completely unspectacular films I've seen in theaters.

Wanted - 6.0

Sure, it was really dumb, but for some reasons as of now undetected I didn't have a problem buying into the film's more ridiculous aspects. Maybe it was because there was never a moment where something unbelievable wasn't happening, and maybe because it was all visually stimulating and the tone of the film matched its content for a change. It sure felt a lot shorter than it was (110 minutes I believe?), but the entire film felt like one huge montage of flashback, training, and action. But I enjoyed myself. It was reasonably predictable, and entirely shallow, but engaging enough to warrant a viewing. :up:

Diary of the Dead - 4.0
A- for concept and themes
F for execution

Pass.

I really like Joy Division.

But I love New Order.

:ohmy:

I am listening to "Thieves Like Us" right now. I love New Order!

I just saw a tribute band called "Love Vigilantes" at the "Save New Wave" Festival in Universal City in Hollywood this past Saturday, they were VERY good.

I actually saw the real band about :hmm: 5 times.....in one show, Echo and the Bunnymen played in the same bill.

:up:

Saw Wall•E today. Loved it. Wall-e has to be one of the most endearing characters Pixar has created, which is quite an accomplishment considering he only says about 4 different words throughout the entire film.

I am taking the kids to see it at the El Capitan Theater;

BV-WALL_E-EBlast.jpg

They do this elaborate show and production for every Pixar movie premiere.

Can't wait to see it.

Laz, you're from LA? Did not know that.

They always played at the Universal Amphitheater...now the Gibson theater. Small venue, great for shows.

In another one, Sugarcubes, Devo and PIL also played. :up:

Brief round up:

Wanted - 6.0

Sure, it was really dumb, but for some reasons as of now undetected I didn't have a problem buying into the film's more ridiculous aspects. Maybe it was because there was never a moment where something unbelievable wasn't happening, and maybe because it was all visually stimulating and the tone of the film matched its content for a change. It sure felt a lot shorter than it was (110 minutes I believe?), but the entire film felt like one huge montage of flashback, training, and action. But I enjoyed myself. It was reasonably predictable, and entirely shallow, but engaging enough to warrant a viewing. :up:
Maybe a little harsh with the final score, Lance. I think it achieved everything it set out to do which was simply to entertain the hell out of us. It was refreshingly funny and twisted, the action sequences both ludicrous and inspired, and like you said, it was visually stimulating. One of the better films in the now CGI-driven action genre.

Oh, and you get to see Jolie's bum.

Maybe a little harsh with the final score, Lance. I think it achieved everything it set out to do which was simply to entertain the hell out of us. It was refreshingly funny and twisted, the action sequences both ludicrous and inspired, and like you said, it was visually stimulating. One of the better films in the now CGI-driven action genre.

To be honest, I wasn't that entertained. I got the general feeling that it set out to achieve a lot more than I actually did in reality. More ambitious than the filmmakers involved have the talent to pull off I'd wager. In the end, what could have been a truly unique film mythos boiled down to little more than painfully obvious Fight Club and Matrix rip-off... with some great action scenes of course. :)

Doesn't warrant much more than a 6/10, as much as I'd like to award an extra point for the half second of Angelina Bum.

I might go see this shortly. :up:

Laz, you're from LA? Did not know that.

They always played at the Universal Amphitheater...now the Gibson theater. Small venue, great for shows.

In another one, Sugarcubes, Devo and PIL also played. :up:

I may have been at a few of those Amphitheater shows

but because I am a bit older
I saw those bands at the real small venues
Devo at the Starwood, club on Sunset that burned down, PIL at the Roxy, Sugarcubes in a ballroom in a seedy Hotel across from MacArthur Park (what a time it was)

Wanted 7.5 / 10

Entertaining film.

At least it got those ass hat Indy 4 chase scenes out of my brain with some real exciting chase scenes

I am not a big fan of the lead actor
I thought he was great in "Last King of Scotland"

But, he is miscast as an 'action hero' he has that milky white complexion, against bluest eyes, and is not very tall. Believable as a Doctor or office nerd. In spite of that, the film as a whole, is solid.

Did the Sugarbubes have Bjork back then? I know that band lasted from '86 to '92.
Devo in Sunset...sweet.

The name of the Hotel escapes me now. It is just off Wilshire. There was a seedy old movie theater on Wilshire that played foreign language films. I saw a few Fassbinder films there. There had a hand lettered brown cardboard sign in the popcorn that read "Fresh, popped daily'".

I digress,

Yes, Bjork was definitely there. They were the 3rd band on a four band show.

They came on about 2- 3 AM. I had heard them on KROQ back then.

It seemed like the leader of the band, was this guy with a "trumpet".

But, a young, sparkley, energetic Bjork dancing and singing was the main appeal. The whole band was lively and fun.

Wanted - 6.0

Yep. It may have to pay Fight Club and The Matrix for royalties though. Hearing Morgan Freeman say "motherfucker" was worth the price of admission. I called most of "the twist" within the first 5 minutes, without spoilers, so that's not really a good sign.

I gave it a 5/10, so we're close here.

I really want to see Wall-E.

Wanted. 6.5/10.

It was entertaining, which is all I was looking for. Angelina is so noble, even in films. :sexywink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom