Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rewatched Donnie Brasco, and really enjoyed it. Pacino was amazing with his portrayal of the defeated mobster, and the scene with him near the end just about kills me. Depp was good as well. I think this movie suffers from the unenviable position of being from the same decade (as well as largely covering events in the same decade, too) as the ultimate* mafia movie, Goodfellas.

*oh yes, I went there. I know this is sacrilege around these parts, but I like Goodfellas better than The Godfather.

Planet of the Apes. What a fucking disaster. The remake, of course. At least I saw it for free.

Roth = awesome, though. Rob Roy FTW.

Even if you saw it for free, that's still wasting your... MOTHERFUCKIN' TIME!

I still need to see Rob Roy.

I just rewatched Donnie Brasco, and really enjoyed it. Pacino was amazing with his portrayal of the defeated mobster, and the scene with him near the end just about kills me. Depp was good as well. I think this movie suffers from the unenviable position of being from the same decade (as well as largely covering events in the same decade, too) as the ultimate* mafia movie, Goodfellas.

*oh yes, I went there. I know this is sacrilege around these parts, but I like Goodfellas better than The Godfather.

Who cares which is "better"? I love Goodfellas, regardless of how it measures up to The G-dfather.

A lot of us, though, think that Once Upon a Time in America is the best gangster film.

Who cares which is "better"? I love Goodfellas, regardless of how it measures up to The G-dfather.

A lot of us, though, think that Once Upon a Time in America is the best gangster film.

A lot of "us?" You took a poll?

I've never seen it, I'll have to check it out. And, in all fairness, Goodfellas is in my top 5 movies of all time, regardless of genre. I love that movie. I've seen it approximately 76 times, and I'm still entranced by it. Scorsese's finest hour.

A lot of "us?" You took a poll?

I've never seen it, I'll have to check it out. And, in all fairness, Goodfellas is in my top 5 movies of all time, regardless of genre. I love that movie. I've seen it approximately 76 times, and I'm still entranced by it. Scorsese's finest hour.

How did you know that what you wrote was sacrilege around these parts? Did you take a poll?

Liam Neeson uses a sword. It's the 18th film where he's brandished a sword, or......sabre.

Hey now.

He's got a movie coming up where he plays a retired special agent who's gotta find his daughter after she's been kidnapped in Europe. Luc Besson's involved, only as writer/producer, I believe, but it'll at least kick a decent amount of ass.

Hey now.

He's got a movie coming up where he plays a retired special agent who's gotta find his daughter after she's been kidnapped in Europe. Luc Besson's involved, only as writer/producer, I believe, but it'll at least kick a decent amount of ass.

I like Neeson a lot, trust me. He's just in a lot of films where he has to battle with a sword.

He pops up in one of my favorite films of all-time, Excalibur. Films like Braveheart put Excalibur's battle scenes to shame, but it's still a very lush film. Me likee.

I like Neeson a lot, trust me. He's just in a lot of films where he has to battle with a sword.

He pops up in one of my favorite films of all-time, Excalibur. Films like Braveheart put Excalibur's battle scenes to shame, but it's still a very lush film. Me likee.

Does he really? I hadn't noticed that before. His bit part at the beginning of Gangs is always awesome. He should also get credit for being one of the only redeeming qualities about Episode I.

That's the one with Patrick Stewart, right?

Does he really? I hadn't noticed that before. His bit part at the beginning of Gangs is always awesome. He should also get credit for being one of the only redeeming qualities about Episode I.

That's the one with Patrick Stewart, right?

Yup. AND Gabriel Byrne, who has a small but key role early on. Exaclibur FTW.

Watched some weird movie I never heard of last night - The Night Listener with Robin Williams & Toni Collette. Synopsis: Gabriel Noone is a late night radio-host in a big city, specializing in spooky tales culled from his active imagination. When Gabriel's lover decides he needs some "space" and moves out, Gabriel descends into a funk until a publisher friend brings him a manuscript written by 14 year-old Pete Logand, a troubled young fan. Pete's story touches the vulnerable Gabriel deeply. Pete was severely abused by his parents and is now under the care of his former social worker, Donna Logand, who has adopted him. Pete is very ill and he and Donna are keeping a low profile in a small town in Wisconsin to avoid discovery by Pete's mother. Gabriel develops an unsettling long-distance telephone relationship with the boy and his guardian. Nothing is as it seems and the skepticism of friends causes Gabriel to become suspicious of Donna and her motives, so he tries to resolve the loose ends by traveling to Wisconsin to confront Donna and Pete. But this effort is largely unsuccessful and we are left wondering if Pete is real, if Donna is really blind or if Gabriel is the deranged soul of the story.

Meh :|

The Incredible Hulk was a fucking travesty.

I would write up a review about how incoherent and illogical the script is, or how a cast of very talented people turn in completely forgettable to downright awful performances, or how it seemed like it was edited by a third-grader, or how it basically jumps from cribbing one film to the next "Oh look it's Spiderman, oh no wait, now it's The Bourne Ultimatum, no nevermind it's really the Fugitive, oh shit son, when the fuck did this become Cloverfield? Oh nevermind, it's Donkey Kong...."

I could write about all that, but then I remember that The Hulk is just simply one of the dumbest comic book heroes of all time, and no one will ever be able to make a compelling film with him. And I'll tell you what, I have a new-found appreciation for Ang Lee's Hulk after this... at least he tried some radical things there. You know, like characterization, continuity editing, cinematography, etc.

Best part about this new version was Robert Downy Jr. during the last 10 seconds. But fuck that, I'd rather be watching Iron Man in that case.

. . . or how it basically jumps from cribbing one film to the next "Oh look it's Spiderman, oh no wait, now it's The Bourne Ultimatum, no nevermind it's really the Fugitive, oh shit son, when the fuck did this become Cloverfield? Oh nevermind, it's Donkey Kong...."

Funny. This is exactly what I thought about "Iron Man".

For me, Iron Man was pretty much just giving RDJ a venue for being a cocky billionaire smart-ass for 100 minutes or so, and I found it entertaining as such. Sure it was derivative, but I still felt it had a solid identity regardless, where Hulk seemed to jump all over the place, likely because it didn't have a single moment of inspiration or creativity throughout its entire duration.

I haven't seen the new Hulk. And I did like "Iron Man" for the action and the humor, but I felt like it was a superhero movie I'd already seen (and enjoyed better) 100 times before. RDJ was good, but even he couldn't keep the cliched, done-to-death storyline from pulling me out of the film a bit.

Agreed, though I do think it managed to pull off a proven plot better than a lot of superhero flicks we've seen recently. Just the same, I only give it a 7/10, as while I really enjoyed it, it didn't do anything particularly exciting or noteworthy.

I haven't seen the new Hulk. And I did like "Iron Man" for the action and the humor, but I felt like it was a superhero movie I'd already seen (and enjoyed better) 100 times before. RDJ was good, but even he couldn't keep the cliched, done-to-death storyline from pulling me out of the film a bit.

I defy you to name 100 superhero movies.

I defy you to name 100 superhero movies.

Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Batman Begins
Superman 1, 2, 3, 4
Spiderman 1, 2, 3
Hulk 1 and 2
X-Men 1, 2, 3
The Phantom
Captain America
Adventures of Captain Marvel
Supergirl
The Punisher
Swamp Thing
Dick Tracy
Blade 1, 2, 3
The Crow 1, 2
Fantastic 4 1, 2
Daredevil
Catwoman
Hellboy 1, 2
Ghostrider
The Incredibles

That adds up to 100 right? I was never good at math.

What's with the James Stewart/Hitch love, YLB?

Did you have some kind of conversion experience?

I found them when I was sorting through my pictures and really dug them. No real reason other than that.

I remember when that came out. My friends and I would say to each other in the trailer guy voice: "Dolph Lundgren IS The Punisher!" That guy was a stiff.

There was also a Roger Corman-produced Fantastic Four that is out of print, but supposedly was one of the more wretched things ever committed to celluloid.

And do y'all know that in the late 80's/early 90's Terry Gilliam was attached to Watchmen?

I'm not saying it would have been good, but it's interesting to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom