Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #466
Refugee

Local Time: 10:13 PM
Jackass Number 2
Well you pretty much know what to expect going into this. Personally I haven’t laughed at a film as much as I did during this for a loooong time. When the promotional materials appeared I thought it was just so that everyone not called Johnny Knoxville could get a payday and that the stunts would be lacklustre, but they came up with some gems here. Sure, some fall flat (Spike Jonze as an old naked lady was rubbish) but so many of them had my brother and I in stitches. Right from the start, when the gang were coaxing a large snake to bite Chris Pontious’ penis dressed up like a mouse, we loved it. But it’s even the small sketches that work, mainly due to the sheer stupidity of the performers. Case in point: Bam Margara walks up to the camera with a skateboard, rolls his eyes, climbs up a ramp facing it, then skates down and slams right into a plexiglass sheet we didn’t realise was there. Priceless.

Happiness
Bit of a U-turn here, with an ensemble drama based around the lives and relationships of three sisters (and their parents). Banish all thoughts of Woody Allen’s Hannah and Her Sisters from your mind though, this film look at the sad, lonely, seedy and despicably perverse sexual needs of its characters. It has more in common with the style of some of Robert Altman’s famous films, particularly Short Cuts. Interestingly it never focuses on just one class of people, such as the jaded, well-off family units that Wes Anderson favours, instead placing each sister into a different social position. The film strips all of the characters bare and allows all of them scenes where they can truly open up to each other and it’s to its credit that the film never sags in any of the plotlines.

I don't know how widely this will be promoted or even released in America, but keep an eye out for it.

Son of Rambow
Charming British comedy drama that reminded me of last year’s This Is England with the early 80s setting and sense of belonging, but also invokes the whimsical spirit of Gregory’s Girl. Two schoolboys, one from a pious and conservative family, the other a bullied tearaway from a broken home, strike up an unlikely friendship in order to film one’s entry for a competition that turns into an unofficial sequel to First Blood after their imaginations are ripped open. Directed by those behind The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, their follow up (originally meant to be their debut) sheds the flashy special effects in favour hand-drawn animation and DIY props. Not that it is anything like Be Kind Rewind though. Both of the child leads are great and feel very natural in their roles, and the kid playing Lee Carter is cocky and brash enough to take on TIE’s Thomas Turgoose in a movie scrap. The period (lol) setting also feels natural and realistic, working by simply serving as the backdrop and never calling attention to itself. But not that I’d know for sure, I’m glad to say I’m just too young to remember those fashion disasters firsthand.

The Sea Inside
Touching and very compassionate true-life story on a very tricky subject, euthanasia. Javiar Bardem is excellent as quadriplegic Ramon Sampedro who, after being confined to a bed for 28 years following a diving accident, is actively seeking the legal authority with which to end his life. Whilst the film invariably ends up siding with Ramon it does give both sides of the debate a decent amount of time both to state their cases and square off against one another, with Ramon occasionally speechless when confronted with a rebuttal he can’t argue against. However, the film mostly fails in the depiction of those opposing Ramon outside his family in his ‘right to die’ quest as narrow-minded preachers and politicians. But such heavy handedness can be overlooked with such beautiful cinematography; an impressive feat given much of the film takes place in a bedroom. Ramon’s flights of fantasy are lovingly realised and never come off as cheesy or cheap ways of tugging at the heartstrings. In fact they allow us to get into Ramon’s head more than he allows most people and along with the story behind his paralysis lets us see just what his life means to him. Overall, it seems like one of those films where personal opinions will shape the viewer’s thoughts on the outcome for the two main characters.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #467
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RedrocksU2
Enchanted

10/10....yup, a 10.

I loved this movie. Amy Adams is fantastic. She was also the "Hot Girl" in one of the episodes from "The Office".

Loved this too! McPrincey!!!

We Own the Night: Mark Walberg/Joaquin Pheonix.
Excellent.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #468
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:13 PM
I saw a few meh-filled movies over the break (Balls of Fury, Mr. Magorium's Shitfilled Emporium, and Dan in Real Life), and one pretty good one: The King of Kong.

It's a doc about two guys (the new guy and record holder since '82) vying for the high score in Donkey Kong. It seems like it would be a bore, or too nerdy for some, but it's pretty interesting and lets the situation develop itself. Definitely check these out.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #469
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:13 PM
My god, with all the great old films out there you're wasting your time on this crap?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #470
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I was on a cruise and my room didn't have a DVD player. Had to kill time somehow.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #471
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 PM
You don't have to explain
humiliation
of the teenage station.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Old 04-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #473
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Yeah, I saw Snow Angels last week
Are you sure it wasn't this?

Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #474
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Lance's Mom has a pretty coat in that picture.

Third from left, bottom row.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #475
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:13 AM
I thought she was the one inexplicably having sunglasses. The one that's not a Snow Dog™ at all

That just goes to show my Lance's Mom IQ isn't up to par with that of your average laz.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #476
Refugee

Death Wish 4 , happy hardcore , trigger happy
10/10 , too bad the girlfriend gets shot , again
charles bronson is a jedi
Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #477
The Male

Taxi Driver

After one viewing, I honestly wasn't that crazy about it. Acting? Great. Cinematography? Superb. Doesn't get much better than those late-night taxi scenes. The problem was that it took me a long time to get what the point of the film was, and once I did the payoff wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Travis Brinkle is a good character, and using him as an example of a hero who was a misanthrope at heart is a smart idea, but I just didn't like him. It was difficult to sympathize with him, and I mostly just watched the film blankly without really being able to get into it. Regardless, it had a great cast and was technically superlative, so it gets a good rating. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

7/10

Pulp Fiction

Amazing, of course. There isn't really much more to say that hasn't been said. The script is sharp and generally hilarious, the cast is among the best ever assembled in a single film, and the storytelling is brilliant. Slowed down a bit for me during the Gold Watch segment, but came right back to life as soon as Jules and Vincent popped back on-screen.

"English, muthafuka! Do you speak it?"

9/10

Now.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #478
Blue Crack Addict

Lemon Melon is all phull of phail.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #479
Blue Crack Supplier

I can see where he's coming from to an extent. But I don't know that a character needs to be likable to be worth watching. You have a Vietnam vet who's clearly had trouble integrating back into society, and is really just trying to form a connection with someone. He's touched by the tenderness of the Shepherd character, but has no clue what to do with her. The Foster character is one he can figure out easier--she needs to be saved. He believes that this good deed can somehow make a difference in the world of shit he's living in.

As a snapshot of post-Watergate, post-Vietnam, post-JFK assassination America, it's pretty chilling. And briliant.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #480
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I was on a cruise and my room didn't have a DVD player. Had to kill time somehow.

Between this and the raves I think we're losing him, folks.

How did I miss this and the Snow Dogs jokes two days ago?

I'm getting rusty.

Tags
movie reviews