Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Two words: James McAvoy.
I don't find him attractive - just not my type at all.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #452
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I don't find him attractive - just not my type at all.

does not compute

Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #453
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:55 AM
I liked him better in

Last King of Scotland
and bought him as a leading man in that film

much more than in Atonement
Old 03-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #454
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

does not compute
Don't like that body type on a man - I prefer taller, athletic than slight. And I find his lips kind of weird. Just not my cup of tea.

Into the Wild. 8/10.

8/10 for the movie, and a big fat ZERO for McCandless. I couldn't STAND him. I can't even put into words how awful of a person I felt he was. The ridiculous, pretentious verbal diarrhea that came out of his mouth made it almost unbearable to me. The evils of the big, generic "society" and so on - it's honestly like this masturbatory tale directed at upper class white kids at college who will sit there and think what a cool thing he'd done.

The poor, suffering upper middle class smart kid graduated without debt and was on his way in life. Imagine the difficulty! What a horrible home life he had, only the same one millions of others do. His reckless disregard of the feelings of his family - what the hell, why not at least call his sister?? - really bothered me. It is as if he had absolutely no empathy with another human being who didn't buy into the same crap that he did.

I disliked him so much that the only positive thing I could take from the movie is that in the end, Darwinism prevailed, so at least we know that theory holds true. There was no class, no nobility in him whatsoever. He really, really represents almost everything I find distasteful about human beings.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #455
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:55 AM
anitram, you echoed my feelings toward that character perfectly. I give the movie a 5 or 6 though. I didn't even think Penn put together that competent of a film. The only think I really liked about it was the hot 16-year-old he thought he was too noble to bone. God I hate that guy.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #456
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Don't like that body type on a man - I prefer taller, athletic than slight. And I find his lips kind of weird. Just not my cup of tea.
Oh, me too, for sure--at 5'8" plus the usual 2-3" heels, I like 'em tall. I just find his facial expressions to be very charming, and I think he's a really good actor. I thought he was the best thing about Atonement and the otherwise forgettable Becoming Jane. And I loved him in Last King of Scotland. Not my type to be with, but I like watching him on screen.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #457
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Into the Wild. 8/10.

8/10 for the movie, and a big fat ZERO for McCandless. I couldn't STAND him. I can't even put into words how awful of a person I felt he was. The ridiculous, pretentious verbal diarrhea that came out of his mouth made it almost unbearable to me. The evils of the big, generic "society" and so on - it's honestly like this masturbatory tale directed at upper class white kids at college who will sit there and think what a cool thing he'd done.

The poor, suffering upper middle class smart kid graduated without debt and was on his way in life. Imagine the difficulty! What a horrible home life he had, only the same one millions of others do. His reckless disregard of the feelings of his family - what the hell, why not at least call his sister?? - really bothered me. It is as if he had absolutely no empathy with another human being who didn't buy into the same crap that he did.
I fully agree. This is almost exactly what I said to a group of my colleagues, and they all thought I was nuts. I didn't even much like the peripheral characters either except for the Hal Holbrook character, mainly because I couldn't respect them for falling for McCandless' bullshit charm. I liked other things about the movie, though.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #458
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I liked other things about the movie, though.
Me too. I liked Eddie Vedder's music and I also really liked the cinematography. I think it's the same guy who did Motorcycle Diaries? Anyway, I hope I'm right because that's the movie I immediately thought of.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #459
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Wisegirls 5/10

The ending was
Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 AM   #460
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:55 AM
BOND-A-THON HAS CONCLUDED!!!

Look for a thorough ranking and review somewhere around here in the next couple days.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:36 AM   #461
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I liked him better in

Last King of Scotland
and bought him as a leading man in that film

much more than in Atonement
loved him in both.

although last king of scotland i think the constant threat of death over his head is more palpable,

but atonement is just such a gorgeous film.

on all fronts really , and made of WIN.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #462
Blue Crack Addict

Enchanted

10/10....yup, a 10.

I loved this movie. Amy Adams is fantastic. She was also the "Hot Girl" in one of the episodes from "The Office".
Old 04-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #463
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I've heard a number of adults now say that this movie was really good and how much they enjoyed it. I thought it was kind of a kids movie but I guess not. Amy Adams was good hosting SNL too, she's got a really great sense of humor. I think I will see this when it hits PPV.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #464
Refugee

I saw "Snow Angels" which was pretty interesting and thought-provoking and very naturalistic, but quite depressing and bleak as well. I won't spoil it for the rest of you, mostly because I'm too tired to go over the emotionally-charged nature of the story, but I suppose it's worth seeing.....more so than the awful "In Bruges" anyway, which was neither comedically original, nor dramatically interesting; just a bunch of comedy and mafia cliches. Awful, awful film.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #465
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, I saw Snow Angels last week in Los Angeles, and really should have mentioned it here. I love David Gordon Green's films, which include All The Real Girls and Undertow (as well as George Washington, which unfortunately I still have yet to see). He was a great eye for observation with characters as well as the environment around them. This film is very simple in terms of plot, dealing with the connected lives of a handful of people in a small, unnamed northern town, and shows the various ways they are coming together, falling apart, healing and failing to heal.

Kate Beckinsale was probably better here than anything I've ever seen her in, and Sam Rockwell continues to amaze me with every distinct role he takes on. Compare his work here to what he did in Jesse James/Robert Ford, and then with Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, and then with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He's a very versatile and fearless actor.

A powerful film, despite being bleak as Muldfield stated. However, with every loss there is a gain, and Green never allows one to despair at a complete lack of hope. It ends in a very similar way to All The Real Girls, including the final shot.

Tags
movie reviews