Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #391
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RedrocksU2
I kept on losing track of who was who......
Oh good, it wasn't just me!

Old 03-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #392
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:37 PM

I was like, dammit who is *****?

I hate it when that happens.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #393
Blue Crack Supplier

I think it helped me that I knew some of the actors already. Sam Rockwell (Charlie Ford) has been in a bunch of stuff, including Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Paul Schneider (the charmer guy) was in All the Real Girls (and Lars and the Real Girl...a bit odd, that connection), and Garrett Dillahunt (the nervous guy in the cabin that Jesse kills on his horse) was in both Deadwood and John From Cincinnati, as well as No Country For Old Men. The only guy I didn't know was the blonde one who played Wood, so I was in good shape.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #394
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Has anyone seen Funny Games yet? Either the original or the remake? Saw it last night with two friends. Got some interesting reactions. One of them absolutely hated it, the other one hated it until we discussed it and it started to make more sense, and I thought it was fascinating, though obviously purposefully not made to be enjoyable. I may post a fuller review later if anyone wants one.

Just saw this today. I don't really have much to say. I was neither offended nor overly impressed. The only Haneke film I'd seen before is Cache, which I loved despite being pretty confounded by it. This one was obviously a big Fuck You to American audiences and their lust for violence, though some jackass in the room kept laughing at all these inappropriate moments, thereby proving Haneke's point, and making me embarrassed for my society. It was awesome when someone clapped right before the "rewind" part, and then they were like "Nooooo!" No revenge payoff for you!

Watts was great as always, Roth didn't really have much to do, and Pitt continues to impress (clearly he can play more than the doe-eyed innocent he's shown before).
Old 03-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #395
Babyface

Local Time: 11:37 AM
10000 B.C.

Watched it on a whim with my friend just now. Lord, it was the lamest thing I'd ever seen. It takes a lot for me to say something is bad, but this one reeked of suckatude. Visually, it was impressive, with the mammoths, the sabertooth tiger, and the pyramids--things like that.

Totally full of fail.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:38 AM   #396
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Vantage Point

An excellent and innovative idea drives the film - showing different parts of the plot through separate viewpoints, each successive viewpoint revealing that little bit more of the plot.

However, the movie is let down by the total lack of ingenuity behind the plot - combining elements of "the Jackal" and almost all Secret Service-related films ever made, the plot is blatantly obvious from about the third viewpoint, with one twist to keep viewers occupied.

The ending, too, is overly cliched and almost absurd.

All in all, an excellent concept let down by the plot. Worth a watch, but the constant rewinds in the film when the viewpoint changes are a bit annoying after a while.

6.5 / 10
Old 03-16-2008, 03:48 AM   #397
The Fly

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Still catching up on movies that I'd meant to see long ago...

Underworld (6.5/10)

This movie was sort of fun and stylishly done, although that style was clearly tailored to please the vampire mythos posse: lots of gloomily lit scenes, black leather clothes, gothic looking interiors, etc. I'm not really into the whole vampire mythology thing - weaving a complex storyline behind the vampire culture, dramatising the emotional state of these tortured immortal souls and while we're at it giving the lowdown on who's got a crush on whom and all that. Boring! These guys are much more enjoyable to watch when they're actually scary. Like the crew in 30 Days of Night: they're no-nonsense brutal monsters and they're here to drink your bloooooood. Each to their own though, and Underworld wasn't too shabby if you like that sort of thing. Unfortunately the core premise of the werewolf/vampire hybrid irked me a bit, although I guess maybe it's fickle to accept the reality of the monsters without entertaining that possibility as well. But it somehow reminded me of that synthesised alien queen developing a womb in Alien Resurrection and that really wasn't cool, was it? Also the gun-toting element was that overdone that you could almost forget that these were monsters at war rather than urban gangsters. And those ultra-violet bullets... But it was still good fun, and I might catch the next one eventually.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #398
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zihua
Still catching up on movies that I'd meant to see long ago...

Underworld (6.5/10)

This movie was sort of fun and stylishly done, although that style was clearly tailored to please the vampire mythos posse: lots of gloomily lit scenes, black leather clothes, gothic looking interiors, etc. I'm not really into the whole vampire mythology thing - weaving a complex storyline behind the vampire culture, dramatising the emotional state of these tortured immortal souls and while we're at it giving the lowdown on who's got a crush on whom and all that. Boring! These guys are much more enjoyable to watch when they're actually scary. Like the crew in 30 Days of Night: they're no-nonsense brutal monsters and they're here to drink your bloooooood. Each to their own though, and Underworld wasn't too shabby if you like that sort of thing. Unfortunately the core premise of the werewolf/vampire hybrid irked me a bit, although I guess maybe it's fickle to accept the reality of the monsters without entertaining that possibility as well. But it somehow reminded me of that synthesised alien queen developing a womb in Alien Resurrection and that really wasn't cool, was it? Also the gun-toting element was that overdone that you could almost forget that these were monsters at war rather than urban gangsters. And those ultra-violet bullets... But it was still good fun, and I might catch the next one eventually.

Man, I hate to correct a noob, but the actual answer was:

Kate Beckinsale in leather 11/10
Old 03-16-2008, 07:32 AM   #399
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:37 PM
Lust, Caution. 7/10.

I get the feeling that this is a love it or hate it kind of movie. It was too stylized for my liking, but worth seeing nonetheless. The sets were absolutely gorgeous and the NC-17 scenes were beautifully filmed (even the violent aspects of them). The movie takes a while to get to where it's going; normally this bugs me but this time I found that it was necessary. But it's definitely going at a slow pace for the first third or so. My complaint is with the secondary characters, a lot of whom I thought were pretty much caricatures (ie. most of the drama group guys pretty much fit one stereotype or the other). And the ending struck me as predictable as well.

Not one of Ang Lee's best, that's for sure. I enjoyed seeing it because he can be so impeccable in directing, but it's nothing to rave about.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #400
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Lust, Caution. 7/10.
It's next up in my netflix queue.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #401
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

Man, I hate to correct a noob, but the actual answer was:

Kate Beckinsale in leather 11/10

I believe it's:

Kate Beckinsale gets pregnant, marries her hack director, takes herself off the market 0/10
Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #402
Blue Crack Supplier

The Double Life of Veronique (Kieslowski, 1991)

From the director of the Three Colors trilogy. I had seen this a looooong time ago, and finally got around to watching my new Criterion DVD. This is very much in line with the subsequent trilogy, in that Kieslowski maintains almost a god-like presence over his characters, pulling the strings of fate in what would normally seem like plot contrivances.

Irene Jacob (the beautiful, young Ingrid Bergman-resembling) who was the lead in Red, plays two roles here: The Polish girl Weronika, a young student and singer, and then for the remaining hour of the film, her doppelganger Veronique, a French music teacher (she won the Best Actress award at Cannes for this film). There is a moment in the first section where the two cross paths, and both of their lives change drastically after that scene, as the exposed connection seems to send shock waves through each of them.

This film is so unique that it's very difficult to describe because the plot is very simple. It's really about a young woman awakening to the world around her, even if that sounds like an ad for a feminine hygene product. There's a sense of mystery that pervades the final stretch of the film, and if the payoff seems simple, it's still very profound.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #403
Blue Crack Addict

The Devil Came on Horseback. 10/10.

Phenomenal. Something that needs to be seen by everyone, everywhere. It is a shocking, appalling movie, and very graphic, so take that as your fair warning. It's a sad social commentary on our state of existence as human beings, and the sorts of things that we are capable of, and worse yet, the things we're capable of turning a blind eye to.

There is one particular part, where they discuss how the refugees go about gathering firewood. If the men go, they risk getting castrated and killed. If the women go, they risk getting raped. So they choose for the women to go.

Wonderful film.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #404
Blue Crack Addict

I guess I'm on a kick....

God Grew Tired of Us. 10/10.

This movie is better than a 10. It is THAT good, and it should be seen by anyone who wants insight into the immigrant experience. What a hard movie to watch, and yet you are left with such hope at the end. Beautifully done, really lovely narration by Nicole Kidman (unexpectedly so).

Can't say enough good things about it. It's a movie that is poignant but never pontificates.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #405
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 PM
well , you can always ask me about immigrant expexperience
better than a movie

Tags
movie reviews