Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goya's Ghosts.

Meh. That sums it up. Milos Forman was the director, and the actors were Javier Bardem, Natalie Portnam and Stellen Skarsgard. Its about the Spanish Inquistion in the 1790s and Spain during the Napoleanic era. Bardem plays a priest who later becomes an officer for the Napoleanic Spain, Portnam is a young girl wrongly arrested and tortured by the Inquistion (and raped by Bardem), and fifteen years later has lost her sanity due to her being locked up. Skarsgard is Francisco Goya who is an painter who paints the two characters, and gets caught up in their stories.

I was browsing through Blockbuster when I noticed this movie. The warning signs were that it was only one copy and I never even heard of it. But I figured, its Natalie Portnam and Javier Bardem, how bad can it be?

The acting was good, but the storyline went on and on! It seemed to have no end! If you like historical flicks, like I do, you could tolerate this film. But halfway through the movie, you start to wonder when does it end. And when it does finally, it falls flat. The writers didn't seem to know what to do with two important eras of Spanish history. I say skip it, unless you like history and the actors in the movie, and Milos Forman.

I really wanted to see this, as I'm a fan of the director and all the actors involved. But I haven't read one review of this that was good, and I'm too afraid to find out if everyone's wrong.

Hard to believe this is the guy who won Oscars for One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus.

I saw The Contract with John Cusack and Morgan Freeman. It was good actually, lots of sitting on the edge of your seat and action/adventure mixed with a nice story of a relationship that bonds and strengthens between father and son and beautiful outdoor scenery all at the same time. :up:

Iron Man. 9/10.

Just loved it. Robert Downey Jr was great. He has great comedic timing and this role was perfect for him. I also didn't mind Gwyneth Paltrow whom I usually can't stand. Definitely looking forward to the sequel.

Oh and I saw "I'm Not There" last week. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. It's an odd film, I think. If you don't know enough (like, a LOT) about Dylan, I think most of it will make little sense and won't be enjoyable. And if you know a lot about him, then I'm not exactly sure what this film is supposed to add.

It was fine, but I thought it was just fine. 7/10.

Oh and I saw "I'm Not There" last week. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. It's an odd film, I think. If you don't know enough (like, a LOT) about Dylan, I think most of it will make little sense and won't be enjoyable. And if you know a lot about him, then I'm not exactly sure what this film is supposed to add.

It was fine, but I thought it was just fine. 7/10.

I know quite a bit
I'd say I know more than 90+% of the general public.

I do own most all of his LPs on vinyl.

and I think 7/10, is a very generous score.

^

I should get my parents to see it, as they are both big fans of Dylan and know a ton about him. I wonder what they would think.

SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE.

Wow. Words fail me. I am a poet without words.

One of the most thoroughly entertaining movies I've EVER seen.

Cute, funny, sad, sweeping, touching, historically inaccurate, romantic, thrilling, etc.

Fiennes, Paltrow, Affleck and Dench all deserved Oscars. Thank god they got it half right.

Oh, and it totally deserved to beat Shaving Ryan's Privates that year.

I didn't think it was actually possible for me to have MORE of an appreciation of Bill Shakespeare, but thanks to this movie...I do.

Wow. Great stuff.

I don't know why this film gets so unfairly maligned. Shakespeare had a much better cast and screenplay than SPR, and totally deserved to win Best Picture, though I would have given director and cinematography to The Thin Red Line.

Paltrow's Oscar was well-deserved too. An American doing a legitimate British accent, performing a good deal of Shakespeare, and then playing a woman playing a man, and a woman playing a man playing a woman. Not an easy role.

Very funny, and satisfies on a highbrow and lowball level with puns, Shakespeare references, and slapstick.

And that final scene on the beach was so powerful to me, it elevated this beyond mere entertainment.

I AM LEGEND
I'm not really a Will Smith fan, I find him really annoying in his films, but he was very good in this movie.
He made up for the dodgy effects, and saved the movie.

7/10

INDIANA JONES IV
Just got back from seeing it tonight.
Loved the action sequences and stunts, not the best of the series, but still great in it's own right.

7.5/10

Maybe I should watch Shakespeare in Love again, but I just remember being so utterly unimpressed when it first came on TV. Could have just been me.

So, I've finally worked through my unwatched DVD pile and there's sod showing on TV recently. In my mind that frees me up to indulge in some of my favourite DVDs that I haven't watched for a long time. Over the past few weeks I've really enjoyed:

Sideways - First viewing in 3 years and if anything I rank it even higher than I did before. Everything about it is perfect, including the ending. Can't wait for Payne to make another film, he's yet to disappoint me in the slightest.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Still tugs my heartstrings. The first couple of times I didn't like the staff sub-plot as much because I just wanted to get back to Joel and Clem, but a more relaxed viewing really let me appreciate this part of the story and how well it fits into the film. Joel and Clem's decision at the end makes me all fluttery every time.

Garden State - I ranked this as my favourite just above Sideways, I Heart Huckabees and Broken Flowers back in 2005 but for a while into the film this time I was mentally knocking it down a few places, it just didn't seem as fresh to me anymore. That was until Natalie Portman makes her entrance. Aside from her aggravating 'unique moment' she completely makes the film for me. I'd go as far as to say she plays one of my favourite characters ever. Would I still rank the film overall above those over three? Maybe, but in my mind they're all ace and endlessly rewatchable anyway.

Reservoir Dogs - I can't believe it'd been nearly four years since I last watched this. Seeing it soon after Death Proof really makes me pine for the old Tarantino, when his thirst for homages and extreme style didn't get in the way of making a bloody excellent film. The only bum note for me is Chris Penn, everything else from the acting, dialogue, structure and direction is exhillerating.

Pulp Fiction - Honestly, you can refer to my Reservoir Dogs comments for this one too. Following on from an already assured debut, Tarantino grabs a bit more of a budget and a shovel full of some more top talent to produce a sprawling and breath taking sophomore effort. I've seen this reassessed negatively in some circles but I'm having none of it. It's expertly made, extremely memorable and even after the twists in the stories are known they're so fun to watch. And how often can such low life scum be so much fun to hang out with in coffee bars, retro diners and car rides?

Jackie Brown - To me, this is his last great film and it's a shame it wasn't as well-received as his previous two. Displaying a much calmer and mature touch to the proceedings, Tarantino nonetheless delivers a super-cool and stylish film. Much of the key cast is older than his other films, but he still manages to engage the audience throughout the lengthy run time. This is most evident in the scenes between Pam Grier and Robert Forster. Bittersweet and melancholic for sure, but very satisying.

Se7en - It's odd how much pleasure I get out of watching this, kind of like A Clockwork Orange. I don't enjoy the horrible acts of violence and grim tone per se, but I find the finished result so satisfying. And this time even the ending felt right to me. Twist aside, the eventual resolution always felt flat to me, but now it just seems so apt and I can't think of a better way for it to end, DVD alternate endings and all. In fact I find it an even more rewarding experience than...

Fight Club - Don't get me wrong, I love this and the sheer ambition, energy and audacity of the film continues to draw me in effortlessly. But Se7en currently has the edge for me. Maybe it's because the film speaks to a generation slightly above mine so it doesn't resonate as strongly, but whatever. This is still a tremendous kiss off to the 90s and while I can't quite call it perfect I will call it essential and worthy of repeated viewings.

Damn, Monkeyskin...you just watched a hell of a lot of kick-ass movies. I love each one of those that you listed. (My least favorite being Garden State, probably)

And, yes, Pulp Fiction haters...seriously? Where do they get the nerve? If I ever actually meet someone that feels negatively about Pulp Fiction, there will be hell to pay.

indeed, his last great film

in some ways, I like it better than dogs

I agree with you here. Dogs is just a fucking ferocious film, while Jackie's more of a stylized caper, you know? Both are about robberies: one makes it a point never to see it while the other bases its climax around it. They're neck-and-neck behind Pulp for me, which still holds up (just watched it today).

Also, I just saw The Graduate for the first time and deeply enjoyed it. More thoughts on that later. It was funny to see Jackie Brown use the same title sequence as The Graduate (lead character in a moving walkway at the airport as the credits flash). Funny you mention Garden State, too, Monkeyskin, since it's basically Zach Braff's ode to that movie.

Garden State gets WAY too much shit from people. Even if the screenplay isn't perfect, I'm amazed that someone has that good of a visual style his first time behind the camera. Braff's got a GREAT eye.

I'm still pissed Napoleon Dynamite made more money that summer. What an awful, overrated, unfunny, artistically inept film.

Garden State gets WAY too much shit from people. Even if the screenplay isn't perfect, I'm amazed that someone has that good of a visual style his first time behind the camera. Braff's got a GREAT eye.

I'm still pissed Napoleon Dynamite made more money that summer. What an awful, overrated, unfunny, artistically inept film.

Definitely. :up:

Napoleon looked like something Wes Anderson would make after he got into a severe car crash.

Dead Poets Society

We watched this in my English class. Interesting plot, but a fucking terrible ending, in my opinion. Surprised by how much I liked Robin Williams in this.

Napolean

seems like everyone has their own little special, oddball, indy film they first discover
(was that redundant, (repetitive) enough)

and they grab you and tell you,

"You, really got to see this film"

well, it was alright

I enjoy a film like "Welcome to the Dollhouse" a little more.

and I still have not seen. "Garden State" yet.

I did see some movies over the weekend

The Edge of Heaven

[Auf der anderen Seite]

was the best one

8/10

A film in German, English and Turkish.

Written and directed by Faith Akin. This is a powerful and moving drama that interweaves the stories of six people--a father and son, and two mother-daughter pairs. The father and son are from Turkey, but live in Germany. At the outset of the movie, one of the mother- daughter pairs is separated, with the mother in Germany and the daughter in Turkey. The other mother-daughter pair are Germans living in Germany. By the end of the movie, for various reasons, each of the six has traveled from one country to the other.

Faith Akin, himself a German of Turkish heritage, obviously understands and is comfortable in both worlds. Some of the characters in the film make the transition from one culture to the other seamlessly, but some suffer from extreme culture shock, and all of them are changed.

The acting is uniformly excellent. I particularly admired Nurgül Yesilçay as a Turkish student and radical, and Patrycia Ziolkowska as the young German woman who befriends her. Fassbinder's muse, the incomparable Hanna Schygulla, has possibly the most difficult role of the six, and, as always, she is outstanding.

here is a scene I found with Nurgül Yesilçay and Hanna Schygulla

YouTube - The Edge of Heaven (Auf der anderen seite) by Fatih Akin

theatrical trailer:
IMDb Video: The Edge of Heaven [Auf der anderen Seite]

Last edited:

Agreed.

Laz, thoughts on Sideways? Like Monkeyskin, I fucking adore every second of that movie. Coincidentally, I rewatched it just last night.....

Dead Poets Society

We watched this in my English class. Interesting plot, but a fucking terrible ending, in my opinion. Surprised by how much I liked Robin Williams in this.

What didn't you like? Neil killing himself or Robin Williams' character being fired.
Or something else :reject:

Oh captain my captain....

Agreed.

Laz, thoughts on Sideways? Like Monkeyskin, I fucking adore every second of that movie. Coincidentally, I rewatched it just last night.....

It's very good, but it's probably my least favorite Payne/Taylor film, behind Election and About Schmidt.

And Giamatti was robbed of an Oscar nom.

:up: on both counts

I actually walked out of Napoleon Dynamite after 30 minutes so I never knew for sure if the whole thing was awful or not but I had a feeling I saw the whole movie in 30 minutes.

Natalie Portman also takes a lot of hits from people (at least in my circle of friends) and although I found her mildly annoying at first, I've come to really appreciate her. She also graduated from Harvard, I recently learned. I was impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom