Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 01:43 AM   #376
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
it was difficult, it would have been "wrong" not just by law but morally if he had left her there,
her mom took her to a bar and left her with drunks when she was in the bathroom having sex for drugs

in real life
that kid would have been molested if left with her mother.

nothing difficult about it at all

Old 03-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #377
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i dont know, i certainly dont think he did the "right" thing by returning her, but you dont think if you were in his situation ..after seeing a mom break down ...it would haunt you later? i think both decisions would regardless. it's not simple either way.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #378
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:21 AM
Has anyone seen Funny Games yet? Either the original or the remake? Saw it last night with two friends. Got some interesting reactions. One of them absolutely hated it, the other one hated it until we discussed it and it started to make more sense, and I thought it was fascinating, though obviously purposefully not made to be enjoyable. I may post a fuller review later if anyone wants one.

Also, the Bond-a-thon is nearing its close. We're at Goldeneye now, and I have a feeling we'll be finished by next weekend. Not sure what we'll do after that. May need to come up with something new.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #379
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Yes.

Because I don't necessarily think that the correctness of your choice is dependent on the good of the outcome.
That is a thought-provoking response. I think I agree but I'm not sure.

Thought it was a great movie, too.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #380
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't think a decision in which you're essentially playing god is the right one. Besides, it's not like he can't keep an eye on the mom; if necessary he can call child & family services on her later.

Continuing along that line, he doesn't just make the decision to give her back and walk away. He's willing to follow through with what he does by actually sticking around, which is why the final scene of him babysitting is so important.

One last point, from an ethical perspective, is that, were he to leave the child where he found her, he certainly wouldn't be able to remain a detective. It's against every code of that line of work. You can't take jobs for people and then not complete what you've been hired to do because you don't morally agree with something. He knew the mother was bad news before he even took it on, and should have backed off at that point. But once you're in, you have an obligation to your client.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #381
Blue Crack Addict

The Darjeeling Limited

This is my favorite Wes Anderson to date. I am sure it is flawed in many ways but being one of three sisters I could really appreciate the dynamics, though the ways in which sibling tension plays out with sisters is quite different than with brothers. In any case, I found each of the brothers to be endearing in their own way, the acting was great, it was delightfully colorful, and the farce that usually wears thin for me in Anderson movies didn't here. I was amused and interested until the credits rolled, and loved the soundtrack as well. Again, I'm sure there's much to criticize but it worked for me.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #382
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Also, the Bond-a-thon is nearing its close. We're at Goldeneye now, and I have a feeling we'll be finished by next weekend. Not sure what we'll do after that. May need to come up with something new.

How about girls?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 AM   #383
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
Dan in Real Life was by no means "oh my god the best movie of the year", but it works.
I posted my gut reactions to it, but it might be one of those movies where if I'd watched it while in a different mood, I might have liked it.

Still no excuse for hiring Dane Cook, though.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #384
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
I don't think a decision in which you're essentially playing god is the right one. Besides, it's not like he can't keep an eye on the mom; if necessary he can call child & family services on her later.
I agree.

The idea that individuals should be free to dispense justice as they see fit leaves me uneasy.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #385
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:21 AM
I just bought Troy - the Director's Cut.

I know some people are not too crazy about this movie, but I like it. Then again, I'm a sucker for historical/period movies. The Director's Cut is much better than the original version. Some scenes are extended, giving way to more character and story development. The only complaint I have is the music. In some scenes, the music was changed completely from the original. For example, the fight between Achilles (Brad Pitt) and Hector (Eric Bana) had really cool percussions in the original. But in the director's cut, it was all string music, taking away the intensity of the fight scene.

But all in all, I liked it. It doesn't bother me that it wasn't true to the Iliad. I see the movie as more of a historical approach to the Trojan War. Whether that war happened or not, is another story.

7/10
Old 03-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #386
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Just saw No Country for Old Men, probably the last person in this thread to have seen it

Was very good,strong on the symbolism, I'm sure a second viewing would be necessary to fully grasp it...

I thought there would be a thread discussing the movie but couldn't find one
Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #387
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:21 AM
It's probably dug somewhere into the Random Talk thread.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #388
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
The Darjeeling Limited

I am going to see this one tonight.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #389
Blue Crack Addict

The Darjeeling Limited. 6.5/10.

Disappointing, IMO. The acting was good (fun actually), there were some really beautiful shots, and I didn't think the gags were over the top (like I sometimes do in his films). But it just felt like a film trying too hard and still coming across as aloof. Worse yet, it made me want to check my e-mail about 4 or 5 times while I was watching it, so that tells you how much it managed to hold my attention.

It wasn't horrible or anything, but it just wasn't as good as I'd hoped.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #390
Blue Crack Addict

The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford

Well, I got so distracted with the cinematography that I kept on losing track of who was who......

Good movie, but 6.5/10

Afleck was great and he was the second best thing about the movie.

Btw, I thought that James Carville did a great job.

Tags
movie reviews