Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2008, 07:00 PM   #361
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:46 PM
You are beyond right.

And his brother is a better director than an actor.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:26 AM   #362
Blue Crack Distributor

Dan In Real Life

I'm not exactly sure why I wanted to watch this movie - did I just want to see it because it was a new release? Because I like Steve Carrell? I didn't know much about it.

I was bored and couldn't care less about anyone or anything going on in the movie.

If I recall correctly, wasn't this movie marketed as kind of a romantic comedy? Um. Not so much.

Plus, if I'd known Dane Cook was in this, I wouldn't have even put it in my Netflix queue.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #363
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Dan In Real Life
*deletes from queue in the knick of time*
Old 03-14-2008, 04:33 AM   #364
The Fly

Local Time: 07:46 AM
I had some time to watch some DVD's in my bro-in-law's collection, all older movies that I'd been interested in but never gotten around to watching. Unfortunately the overall experience wasn't very positive.

I'll string these out otherwise it might be a list or something.

The Day After Tomorrow (4/10)

I'm a sucker for apocalyptic movies, but this one was a real stinker. For one thing it didn't even fully deliver on the all-out apocalypse, which I realise is probably unfair grounds for nitpicking but then it did go out of its way to promise lots of mayhem and destruction: visions of a submerged, frozen over Statue of Liberty, crazy storms, city-levelling tsunamis, opportunistic wolves hunting people along corridors, ice doing the same, Bilbo declaring doom and gloom. Sucker that I am I was successfully courted by all of that albeit years later. And, the movie did have plenty of mayhem and most of it did look very awesome. The main problem was that behind those pretty visuals the story itself was boilerplate blockbuster tripe, and suspension of disbelief was too much to ask. I remember thinking at one point late in the movie that there'd hardly been a dialogue exchange or plot sequence that didn't seem awfully familiar from other movies. Once upon a time I could somehow stomach films like this but the formula is just too tired and cheesy and you know that the movie is targeted at folks who can't get enough of it. No surprise that this movie was written & produced by the same guy behind Independence Day.. AND 10000 B.C. which looks to be equally ridiculous.

My own damn fault for not doing enough background checks on the movie of course..
Old 03-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #365
Blue Crack Distributor

I love The Day After Tomorrow, partly because of the cheese. But mostly for the OMG WEATHER!!!!! stuff.

Which is also why I like Independence Day, up until everything's done getting blowed up. Sometimes I like some good
Old 03-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #366
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Sometimes I like some good

Are we supposed to fill in the blank there?

Old 03-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #367
Blue Crack Distributor

I must have been interrupted by something at work. I don't even know what I was going to say.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #368
The Fly

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Quote:
I love The Day After Tomorrow, partly because of the cheese. But mostly for the OMG WEATHER!!!!! stuff.

Which is also why I like Independence Day, up until everything's done getting blowed up. Sometimes I like some good
.... old fashioned indiscriminate carnage? Oh me too. No doubt there was plenty of that to be had and to be fair I also had some fun with ID4 when I originally saw it, aside from the cheesiness and the overbearing patriotism. I wanted the aliens to force Bill Pullman onto his knees and have him say "I am Mr Prez, the lowly dog." In a dog's voice!

Anyway I recently saw another bad movie:

Van Helsing (4/10)

I also don't mind the odd monster flick, enough to turn a blind eye to the ominously low IMDB rating as well as the generally negative things that had been said about this one. I should have paid attention and given it a miss though, 'cause it sucked. Sure it could have been a bit of mindless fun with the odd mishmash of the cult horror figures, but the story just wasn't very interesting and the movie seemed to drag on forever. It worked better as a sort of special effects showcase than as a coherent film. And it really seemed as if David Wenham (Carl, the wimpy monk) was trying to channel Frank Spencer from Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #369
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:46 PM
Quote:
Dan In Real Life

I'm not exactly sure why I wanted to watch this movie - did I just want to see it because it was a new release? Because I like Steve Carrell? I didn't know much about it.

I was bored and couldn't care less about anyone or anything going on in the movie.

If I recall correctly, wasn't this movie marketed as kind of a romantic comedy? Um. Not so much.

Plus, if I'd known Dane Cook was in this, I wouldn't have even put it in my Netflix queue.
Thanks for posting this. I was just about to add it to my Netflix queue and bump it close to the top.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #370
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Dan in Real Life was by no means "oh my god the best movie of the year", but it works. Personally, I enjoyed it and thought Steve Carrell and Juliette Binoche worked very well together, their characters were believable and acting was good.
It had its sad and funny moments, a Sunday afternoon kind of movie, it certainly wasn't a masterpiece nor had an element of surprise but when I finished watching it, I was pleased in a strange way. I normally don't care for these kind of movies, but I was glad to have watched it, it was a nice contrast to movies I usually watch.

I would give it a B
Old 03-14-2008, 11:41 PM   #371
Blue Crack Addict

Gone Baby Gone. 8/10.

I really, really liked it and not just for Casey Affleck. Felt like it was two movies in one, and was very effective that way. There was some fantastic acting from the supporting cast and I'd definitely recommend it.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #372
Blue Crack Addict

I liked it a lot , too

do you think he made the right choice?
Old 03-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #373
Blue Crack Addict

Yes.

Because I don't necessarily think that the correctness of your choice is dependent on the good of the outcome.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #374
Blue Crack Addict

I disagree

it seems

kind of like

when one

"just follows orders"
Old 03-15-2008, 01:34 AM   #375
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

it was difficult, it would have been "wrong" not just by law but morally if he had left her there, it would have plagued him his whole life...
that being said, his actual choice will probably cause turmoil as well ..especially since nothing really changed. people seldom change. so, part of me thinks his decision was wrong.

the movie was great, it stays with you once it's over, and casey affleck is a tremendous actor.
i hope to see him more in films to come.

Tags
movie reviews