Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #346
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford

I've had this sitting on my TV for a couple of weeks now, never in the mood to watch it but feeling I had to. I finally sucked it up and watched it over two nights.

Please tell me how this did not win the Oscar for Best Cinematography? Some shots/scenes in the film were just stunning.

I actually enjoyed the movie a lot more than I was expecting, although I had a hard time keeping some of the gang members straight - they all blurred together, and I was confused some of the time.

Thought both Casey Affleck and Brad Pitt were very good, and I really liked the score as well.
I'm lazarus, and I approve this message.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #347
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenBlue
Youngblood

4/10

I've never seen so much slow motion hockey in my life.

Did that have hockey in it?

I just remember Cynthia Gibb and full frontal nudity.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 AM   #348
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:48 PM
I watched American Gangster
Old 03-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #349
Refugee

Local Time: 02:48 PM
which cut ?
Old 03-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #350
Blue Crack Addict

Deakins' cinematography in Jesse James was probably the most painterly of all the final DP nominees. That's not typically what rocks my boat so much, but I still couldn't help but fall in love. Good work is good work, and god damn, Jesse James has some good photography. Was my pick for DP this year as well.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #351
Blue Crack Distributor

That early scene of the train robbery ... that was just stunning as the train was coming.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #352
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:48 AM
Quote:

I've had this sitting on my TV for a couple of weeks now, never in the mood to watch it but feeling I had to. I finally sucked it up and watched it over two nights.

Please tell me how this did not win the Oscar for Best Cinematography? Some shots/scenes in the film were just stunning.

I actually enjoyed the movie a lot more than I was expecting, although I had a hard time keeping some of the gang members straight - they all blurred together, and I was confused some of the time.

Thought both Casey Affleck and Brad Pitt were very good, and I really liked the score as well.
I'm watching this tonight, I've had it for a few days from Netflix and I just haven't had the chance to....looking forward to it.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #353
Blue Crack Distributor

My quibble with it (other than not being able to tell all the characters apart a lot of the time) is that it's probably a little too long.

I posted my thoughts about it before the movie was actually over, and I have to say - the coda after Ford kills James (spoiler! ha ha ... guess not, since it's in the title) was beautiful.

No matter what you thought about Ford during the movie until that point, the ending was somewhat heartbreaking.

I was laughing watching the credits - James Carville? (I thought I'd recognized him in that small role) Zooey Deschanel? (Was she the girl dancing with the feathers at the end?) Mary Louise Parker? I didn't recognize her - was she Jesse's wife? And was that Jon Voight I saw in that same scene with Carville?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #354
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I just rented this over the weekend and kept meaning to post a review, but yours pretty much sums up how I felt. I tend to not like westerns at all (I gave "3:10 to Yuma" three tries before I finally gave up and returned it without finishing it). But I really liked this one. I thought Casey Affleck was fantastic--one of those actors who does so much with just a look--and especially in the scenes leading up to the assassination. I was actually completely engrossed in the movie and thought about it later. Like you, I also liked the score a lot and wondered throughout the film who did it until I saw Nick Cave's cameo towards the end. I'm not a big Brad Pitt fan but he was perfect for the role.

cori - yes, Mary Louise Parker was Jesse's wife and I think Zooey was the feathers girl, the one Ford confides in.

I didn't spot Jon Voight at all, though.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #355
Blue Crack Distributor

Where was Nick Cave? I totally missed him.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #356
Blue Crack Addict

Cave was the man playing the guitar in the bar during the coda where Ford gets drunk and belligerent.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #357
Blue Crack Distributor

Ha! I should have recognized him - I was rapt during that scene.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #358
Blue Crack Supplier

Cori, I think one of the other recognizable actors you're thinking of is Ted Levine, who was with Carville and then comes to see Ford at the grocery store. He's best known for playing Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, and was also one of Pacino's guys in Heat.

Michael Parks was another actor in that section with the Governor/lawmen, and he played the same sheriff in both installments of Grindhouse, as well as that old guy that The Bride visits in Mexico in Kill Bill Vol. 2, right before the climactic showdown.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #359
Blue Crack Distributor

I didn't recognize Ted Levine when he was on screen, but I totally recognized his name when I saw it in the credits.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #360
Blue Crack Addict

There were so many great faces that I sort of recognized but couldn't name. The guys in the posse were all so great (I'm loving this movie even more the more we talk about it). And Casey's a better actor than his brother, am I right or am I right?

Tags
movie reviews