Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:08 AM
It was a completely absurd movie, but it sort of maintained its own style throughout, and kept a good pace. It was well aware of its goals and stuck to them, providing a super-cheesy over-the-top action fest.

And at this point I'm fairly certain OHMSS is easily my favorite of all the ones I've seen (which is most of them at this point. Haven't stopped thinking about it since I watched it. Magnificent!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #272
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:08 PM
Over From Russia with Love?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:37 AM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Just over, yeah.

I might have to give From Russia... the slight edge from a purely objective cinephile standpoint, but OHMSS was so moving, and so dynamic it really picked me up unlike any Bond film has ever done.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 AM   #274
Blue Crack Supplier

I enjoyed OHMSS a lot, too, but as I mentioned.....while not a Connery devotee, I just had trouble liking Lazenby....I kept an open mind and all, but, he just did not do it for me....but the rest of the film was great...
Old 02-26-2008, 02:42 AM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

See, personally I thought Lazenby was more than fantastic. Connery always seems to be far too aware of his invulnerability and charms. Lazenby has both the wits and the charms, but was always just slightly unsure of himself, which made him much more relatable and sympathetic during the drama that ensues. He's also equally up to Connery's standards in the action scenarios, which I felt were some of the best the series has seen in OHMSS.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier

I'll agree that he was physically up to Connery's standards, if not better.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #277
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
I'll agree that he was physically up to Connery's standards, if not better. I mean, I'd hit it.

Working blue can be fun, though.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #278
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

I tried to watch The Lake House but turned it off in the middle because I cannot stnad Keanu Reeves. It was one of the most boring movies I have ever endured. I like Sandra Bullock but wonder why she ever chose to make this film, ESPECIALLY with that tool Keanu. It was a horrible waste of time.

I also saw Catch and Release and thought I wouldn't like it but I was pleasantly surprised that I really did enjoy it, even Jennifer Garner. It was a good movie and tugged at your heartstrings.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:09 AM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Live and Let Die....

sucked.

More extensive review to come when I don't have a splitting headache. Time to turn in.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #280
Blue Crack Supplier

FAIL.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:28 AM   #281
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:08 PM
So I got my Darjeeling DVD and watched it today.

It's even better the second time, gang. Even better.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:52 AM   #282
The Male

Now that's a poster.

Now.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

Ok, "sucks" is too strong a word. I was not pleased though. Full of lazy jokes, a weak plot, a Bond that hardly does much of anything, and a ridiculous final act, this is currently my second to worst in the Bond-a-thon, just above You Only Live Twice. Mr. Big is a fantastic villain, I'll give the film that, and has the best theme song of all the Bond flicks I've seen (which is recycles quite liberally throughout, no problem with that though), and those are the two best things about this movie. The first third or so was fairly promising, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The blaxploitation style was a bit bizarre, but it still worked for a while. Then things just started to go downhill and never recovered. And honestly, that boat chase was one of the most excruciating set-pieces I've ever sat through. God damn that was worse than ANYTHING in You Only Live Twice.

Overall, it's about a 4/10. Just slightly before average, not particularly enjoyable given its length.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #284
Refugee

Local Time: 07:08 AM
Shame you don't like You Only Live Twice, it's one of my favs and IMO one of the funnest Bonds to watch.

Juno
I went into this in a hostile frame of mind; I was ready to be really critical purely based on the annoying dialogue in the trailer and the overwhelming praise being poured onto it from almost every circle of critics. Up until she tells her parents that she’s pregnant my worst fears were gradually being confirmed. I mean, no one talks like that. NO ONE. Ellen Page couldn’t do voice over for shit, the opening title sequence was painful and oh God that phone conversation from the trailer went on for even longer.

But then things picked up. Both sets of parents (actual and prospective) were well realised and grounded the film for me. J.K. Simmons in particular felt like an actual person with the way he dealt with his teenage daughter’s position, supportive but disappointed without ever changing to fit any arbitrary scene (something I can’t say about Juno herself). Jennifer Garner was a nice surprise as she too seemed natural and believable. And overall I was really entertained, which is exactly what I want from a comedy. But why was this up for so many prestigious awards? Average direction, a more than infrequently annoying script and a bypass of any serious issues surrounding such a predicament don’t elevate it to anything more than an enjoyable trip to the cinema. For a film worthy of more praise and with more to say along a similar subject see Citizen Ruth.

After Hours
A strong contender for Martin Scorsese’s most random film. The whole film takes place over the course of one very memorable night for desk jockey Griffin Dunne, as he meets a girl in a coffee shop, gets her number and then accepts a late night invitation to pop over to her apartment. Things start going wrong before he even gets out of the cab and proceed to snowball into a chain of events that seem absurd individually but are pulled off in such a way that you just keep going with it.

Apparently Scorsese picked the script after plans for The Last Temptation of Christ initially fell through and pretty much did it just for the crack. It shows. But whilst not nearly as personal as many of his more well known films, the lack of a deep affection for the source material seemed to liberate Marty and he created an aloof, darkly humorous film that remains an intriguing entry into his CV. I have yet to see his version of Cape Fear (it seems to be my white whale) but they seem to have this in common. But while that one was Marty aiming for the box office, this is just him having fun and making a film just because he can.

Dazed and Confused
Thank fuck I never went to high school in Texas. I don’t know if these types of freshmen hazings really occurred, but I’m just glad I never had to endure them. Bloody Hell, I wouldn’t have left the house all summer. Anyway, this early film from Richard Linklater is pretty much what anyone familiar with Before Sunrise would expect. Lots of talking, lots of hanging out, lots of inner reflection but not much story. But it’s cool because most of the characters he presents us are engaging and the last day of school setting brings back so much nostalgia. Damn I miss that feeling. Uni was never quite the same… But again, anyway. These are kids that I enjoyed watching for an hour and a half and as the setting is used as a springboard for a look at transitional periods I really connected with some of them.

The Legend of 1900
Whilst watching I found it hard to shake off the memory of Cinema Paradiso and in quite a few ways I found it very similar. For example, the rose-tinted spectacles narrative, the three act structure with the way both of 1900’s loves were established, even the fate of the main location. But such familiarity can be forgiven when the end result is as well crafted as this. Tim Roth delivers a career highlight performance as the titular 1900, a boy born at the turn of the century on the SS. Virginian, adopted by the crew and who spends his entire life making the crossing from Europe to America and back again, never once setting foot on dry land. An unusual life affords him an unusual philosophy on it and it is this combined with a paradoxically adventurous spirit that attracts trumpeter Max to form a close friendship with him.

Tornatore plays to his Paradiso strengths with many beautifully composed shots brimming with warmth along with the heartache of lost love, but ultimately I didn’t find it as deeply affecting as his earlier film. Maybe it was the lack of such a fantastic ending or slightly-too-misty-eyed voiceover, but it didn’t quite reach quite reach those previous heights. But it was still a fabulous film to watch, so cheers laz.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #285
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyskin

Dazed and Confused
Thank fuck I never went to high school in Texas.

Tags
movie reviews