Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Am Legend. 6/10, mostly for the effects and that shot of Will Smith working out shirtless and sweaty. Actually, the movie was decent in terms of showing the utter loneliness that Robert felt, and what that can do to the humain brain. But in the last third of the movie, it all unravelled and just struck me as another stupid Hollywood apocalyptic film.

The Other Boleyn Girl

reviews have been mixed

so my expectations were not very high

I have seen this story done so many times
with different actors and spins

this one was better than I expected

7/10

Bana did good work, had the right presence.

I think they took some liberties with the story/facts. :shrug:

Scarlett Johansson was excellent.

Portman was good. But is she 4' 9" or something?

She did not fit the part for me.

anitram said:
I Am Legend. 6/10, mostly for the effects and that shot of Will Smith working out shirtless and sweaty. Actually, the movie was decent in terms of showing the utter loneliness that Robert felt, and what that can do to the humain brain. But in the last third of the movie, it all unravelled and just struck me as another stupid Hollywood apocalyptic film.
movie reminded me of Stalker , career perfomance for Will Smith , last 20 mins were a bit off

The Shining

INCREDIBLE. This is top 10 material. I saw it for the first time just now, and I adore it. The mansion looks incredible, the dialogue is great, and the film has such atmosphere. Not a lot of violence either until the last half hour. The Simpsons of course did an incredible parody of it, and that kept the film from being very frightening for me. The only flaw of the film: the ending was completely illogical. You have a fucking pickaxe and you're in a hedge maze. JUST CUT IT DOWN. Damn, what an idiot. I love Jack Nicholson, BTW; I actually found him to be uproariously funny much of the time. It helps that his face already makes him look like he's insane most of the time.

10/10

LemonMelon said:
The only flaw of the film: the ending was completely illogical. You have a fucking pickaxe and you're in a hedge maze. JUST CUT IT DOWN.

Are you kidding? It would take more than a few seconds to hack through one of those walls, and by that time the person you're looking for could run away and be somewhere else. The only thing that would help you is to climb on top of the maze, but Nicholson wasn't in much of a mental state to try anything logical.

"Danny! I'm RIGHT behind ya!"

deep said:
The Other Boleyn Girl...

Portman was good. But is she 4' 9" or something?

She did not fit the part for me.

I saw it last night and felt the same way.

The role seemed far too big for her.

lazarus said:

Are you kidding? It would take more than a few seconds to hack through one of those walls, and by that time the person you're looking for could run away and be somewhere else. The only thing that would help you is to climb on top of the maze, but Nicholson wasn't in much of a mental state to try anything logical.

"Danny! I'm RIGHT behind ya!"

True, he probably wasn't in a place to think logically at that point, but I figured his survival instinct would eventually kick in and he'd attempt to either cut through or climb over the hedge maze.

But hey, the shot of him frozen was pretty damn funny.

theshining-oraldog.jpg

Lance's Mom will wear that costume for an extra $2.95. It probably hasn't been cleaned in a while, but you could say the same thing about her, so you might be better off that way.

Terminator I. 9/10

I've only seen parts 2 (one of the best movie sequels) and 3 (yawn) before, and I heard good things about this one. Not necessarily a fan of "Mr Universum" but he works in this role (and I prefer him as the villain). Much like Alien(s), a scary vision of the future, a very cool looking cyborg and probably the best usage of time travel issues next to Back to the future. I liked how, as opposed to part II, Linda Hamilton was more voulnerable this time.

No Country For Old Men

Masterful acting, cinematography, suspense, the ambiguous ending made me scratch my head but I was cool with it. Not that I pretended to figure it out but I was so blown away by the preceeding action, I almost didn't care. That and I was working on a nice buzz. Cheladas :drool:

After only one viewing, I'd give it 8 to 8.5/10

3:10 to Yuma

Christian Bale, Russell Crowe, Western, sounds like a winner
Probably exactly what I expected.

after only one viweing, 7 to 7.5/10

The Kite Runner. 6/10.

Didn't like it. But I didn't like the book either, so maybe I'm just hopelessly biased against it. Some nice cinematography and I pretty much liked the kids that were cast - usually I have a huge problem with kids in movies. But it just left me flat, kind of like the book. I hated the main character and that didn't change one bit. It did however tell me that I should skip Atonement, as I felt similarly about that one.

American Psycho

Brilliant satire of the '80s yuppie culture and great character study into the mind of a serial killer. Bale's awesome in this and the rest of the cast is pretty solid (Willem Dafoe ftw.)

8/10

And I watched one of my favorites, The Big Lebowski, with my friends tonight. Some of them really liked it, but most kind of liked it. They'll like it more when we start quoting it though.

Darjeeling LTD loved it , great quirky story , touching in places and funny as all hell, 9/10

Run fat boy run, hmmm 6/10 english humour, touch sappy wasnt too bad, saved by the fabulous Dylan Moran (black books)

Eagle vs shark , best love story since Last Tango in Paris
too bad , soundtrack is not around here
New Zooland , i wanna be .........

:drool:

Elizabeth I: The Golden Age

From the God awful reviews, I had really low expectations of this but figured I should see it for Cate Blanchett's Oscar-nominated performance, and because I generally love big sweeping historical movies even when they're bad. I gather from the reviews that it was widely panned because it liberally embellishes historical facts, and because of the melodramatic love triangle, and because the set and costumes overpowered the story itself.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by it, perhaps because of the low expectations. I was pretty much expecting a disaster, but that it wasn't, IMO. Cate Blanchett can do little wrong on film and here again she was magnificent. I really can't take my eyes off her when she's on the screen, much like I felt about Meryl Streep in the 80s-90s. Though my Elizabethan history is quite weak, even I could see that the Sir Walter Raleigh story was probably all wrong but I certainly wasn't annoyed by the fact that there was a focus on the romantic triangle, especially since it involved a dashing Clive Owen. Samantha Morton was wonderful as Mary Queen of Scots, though we should have seen more of her. I basically liked what everyone else universally hated about it. I took the history with a grain of salt and enjoyed the colorful sweeping production.

All in all, though it wasn't near the quality of the first one, I thoroughly enjoyed it and can give an enthusiastic vote for a third installment, Elizabeth I: The Final Years.

Becoming Jane

I had a hard time with Ann Hathaway in the title role and she did little to convince me that the hotter-than-ever James McAvoy would have given her a second look, let alone fallen madly in love with her. It wasn't very good but it's worth seeing for James McAvoy who is so hot I can barely stand it.

anitram said:
The Kite Runner. 6/10.
It did however tell me that I should skip Atonement, as I felt similarly about that one.

Two words: James McAvoy.

U2DMfan said:
No Country For Old Men

Masterful acting, cinematography, suspense, the ambiguous ending made me scratch my head but I was cool with it. Not that I pretended to figure it out but I was so blown away by the preceeding action, I almost didn't care. That and I was working on a nice buzz. Cheladas :drool:

After only one viewing, I'd give it 8 to 8.5/10

3:10 to Yuma

Christian Bale, Russell Crowe, Western, sounds like a winner
Probably exactly what I expected.

after only one viweing, 7 to 7.5/10

Christian Bale was great in that flick.. :heart: almost every movie he does..

Christian Bale= :drool: muy caliente!

7/10

Good fun.

The premise at the end did not work that well for me.
But, not enough to ruin it.

Good to see Spacey working
and Bosworth, very nice.

One small disappointment.

The previews feature Doors music.

and I was looking forward to it in the film.

Like the Kinks music, in Deejilng Lmt.

I did not hear any in the film.
they did have some Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom