Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it helped me that I knew some of the actors already. Sam Rockwell (Charlie Ford) has been in a bunch of stuff, including Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Paul Schneider (the charmer guy) was in All the Real Girls (and Lars and the Real Girl...a bit odd, that connection), and Garrett Dillahunt (the nervous guy in the cabin that Jesse kills on his horse) was in both Deadwood and John From Cincinnati, as well as No Country For Old Men. The only guy I didn't know was the blonde one who played Wood, so I was in good shape.

Lancemc said:
Has anyone seen Funny Games yet? Either the original or the remake? Saw it last night with two friends. Got some interesting reactions. One of them absolutely hated it, the other one hated it until we discussed it and it started to make more sense, and I thought it was fascinating, though obviously purposefully not made to be enjoyable. I may post a fuller review later if anyone wants one.

Just saw this today. I don't really have much to say. I was neither offended nor overly impressed. The only Haneke film I'd seen before is Cache, which I loved despite being pretty confounded by it. This one was obviously a big Fuck You to American audiences and their lust for violence, though some jackass in the room kept laughing at all these inappropriate moments, thereby proving Haneke's point, and making me embarrassed for my society. It was awesome when someone clapped right before the "rewind" part, and then they were like "Nooooo!" No revenge payoff for you!

Watts was great as always, Roth didn't really have much to do, and Pitt continues to impress (clearly he can play more than the doe-eyed innocent he's shown before).

10000 B.C.

Watched it on a whim with my friend just now. Lord, it was the lamest thing I'd ever seen. It takes a lot for me to say something is bad, but this one reeked of suckatude. Visually, it was impressive, with the mammoths, the sabertooth tiger, and the pyramids--things like that.

Totally full of fail.

Vantage Point

An excellent and innovative idea drives the film - showing different parts of the plot through separate viewpoints, each successive viewpoint revealing that little bit more of the plot.

However, the movie is let down by the total lack of ingenuity behind the plot - combining elements of "the Jackal" and almost all Secret Service-related films ever made, the plot is blatantly obvious from about the third viewpoint, with one twist to keep viewers occupied.

The ending, too, is overly cliched and almost absurd.

All in all, an excellent concept let down by the plot. Worth a watch, but the constant rewinds in the film when the viewpoint changes are a bit annoying after a while.

6.5 / 10

Last edited:
Still catching up on movies that I'd meant to see long ago...

Underworld (6.5/10)

This movie was sort of fun and stylishly done, although that style was clearly tailored to please the vampire mythos posse: lots of gloomily lit scenes, black leather clothes, gothic looking interiors, etc. I'm not really into the whole vampire mythology thing - weaving a complex storyline behind the vampire culture, dramatising the emotional state of these tortured immortal souls and while we're at it giving the lowdown on who's got a crush on whom and all that. Boring! These guys are much more enjoyable to watch when they're actually scary. Like the crew in 30 Days of Night: they're no-nonsense brutal monsters and they're here to drink your bloooooood. Each to their own though, and Underworld wasn't too shabby if you like that sort of thing. Unfortunately the core premise of the werewolf/vampire hybrid irked me a bit, although I guess maybe it's fickle to accept the reality of the monsters without entertaining that possibility as well. But it somehow reminded me of that synthesised alien queen developing a womb in Alien Resurrection and that really wasn't cool, was it? Also the gun-toting element was that overdone that you could almost forget that these were monsters at war rather than urban gangsters. And those ultra-violet bullets... :rolleyes: But it was still good fun, and I might catch the next one eventually.

Zihua said:
Still catching up on movies that I'd meant to see long ago...

Underworld (6.5/10)

This movie was sort of fun and stylishly done, although that style was clearly tailored to please the vampire mythos posse: lots of gloomily lit scenes, black leather clothes, gothic looking interiors, etc. I'm not really into the whole vampire mythology thing - weaving a complex storyline behind the vampire culture, dramatising the emotional state of these tortured immortal souls and while we're at it giving the lowdown on who's got a crush on whom and all that. Boring! These guys are much more enjoyable to watch when they're actually scary. Like the crew in 30 Days of Night: they're no-nonsense brutal monsters and they're here to drink your bloooooood. Each to their own though, and Underworld wasn't too shabby if you like that sort of thing. Unfortunately the core premise of the werewolf/vampire hybrid irked me a bit, although I guess maybe it's fickle to accept the reality of the monsters without entertaining that possibility as well. But it somehow reminded me of that synthesised alien queen developing a womb in Alien Resurrection and that really wasn't cool, was it? Also the gun-toting element was that overdone that you could almost forget that these were monsters at war rather than urban gangsters. And those ultra-violet bullets... :rolleyes: But it was still good fun, and I might catch the next one eventually.

Man, I hate to correct a noob, but the actual answer was:

Kate Beckinsale in leather 11/10

Lust, Caution. 7/10.

I get the feeling that this is a love it or hate it kind of movie. It was too stylized for my liking, but worth seeing nonetheless. The sets were absolutely gorgeous and the NC-17 scenes were beautifully filmed (even the violent aspects of them). The movie takes a while to get to where it's going; normally this bugs me but this time I found that it was necessary. But it's definitely going at a slow pace for the first third or so. My complaint is with the secondary characters, a lot of whom I thought were pretty much caricatures (ie. most of the drama group guys pretty much fit one stereotype or the other). And the ending struck me as predictable as well.

Not one of Ang Lee's best, that's for sure. I enjoyed seeing it because he can be so impeccable in directing, but it's nothing to rave about.

Dalton said:

Man, I hate to correct a noob, but the actual answer was:

Kate Beckinsale in leather 11/10

I believe it's:

Kate Beckinsale gets pregnant, marries her hack director, takes herself off the market 0/10

The Double Life of Veronique (Kieslowski, 1991)

From the director of the Three Colors trilogy. I had seen this a looooong time ago, and finally got around to watching my new Criterion DVD. This is very much in line with the subsequent trilogy, in that Kieslowski maintains almost a god-like presence over his characters, pulling the strings of fate in what would normally seem like plot contrivances.

Irene Jacob (the beautiful, young Ingrid Bergman-resembling) who was the lead in Red, plays two roles here: The Polish girl Weronika, a young student and singer, and then for the remaining hour of the film, her doppelganger Veronique, a French music teacher (she won the Best Actress award at Cannes for this film). There is a moment in the first section where the two cross paths, and both of their lives change drastically after that scene, as the exposed connection seems to send shock waves through each of them.

This film is so unique that it's very difficult to describe because the plot is very simple. It's really about a young woman awakening to the world around her, even if that sounds like an ad for a feminine hygene product. There's a sense of mystery that pervades the final stretch of the film, and if the payoff seems simple, it's still very profound.

The Devil Came on Horseback. 10/10.

Phenomenal. Something that needs to be seen by everyone, everywhere. It is a shocking, appalling movie, and very graphic, so take that as your fair warning. It's a sad social commentary on our state of existence as human beings, and the sorts of things that we are capable of, and worse yet, the things we're capable of turning a blind eye to.

There is one particular part, where they discuss how the refugees go about gathering firewood. If the men go, they risk getting castrated and killed. If the women go, they risk getting raped. So they choose for the women to go.

Wonderful film.

Last edited:
I guess I'm on a kick....

God Grew Tired of Us. 10/10.

This movie is better than a 10. It is THAT good, and it should be seen by anyone who wants insight into the immigrant experience. What a hard movie to watch, and yet you are left with such hope at the end. Beautifully done, really lovely narration by Nicole Kidman (unexpectedly so).

Can't say enough good things about it. It's a movie that is poignant but never pontificates.

Night Watch aka Nochnoi Dozor (5/10)

This movie was released a few years ago now, and according to Wikipedia the international (dubbed) version which I saw had been chopped and changed quite a bit from the native Russian version, not to mention there are substantial differences from the book on which the story is based. The movie was very stingey with the story details, and the end result appeared to be a bit vague and scattered in places. Or maybe I was too daft to follow it because there are heaps of folks who genuinely loved this movie. :reject: Or, perhaps they'd all read the book(s) and knew exactly what was going on. The book is reputed to be great, but I think that the movie as a standalone experience doesn't do a good job of explaining the supernatural elements of the world nor the plot beyond a sort of patchy outline. I loved the concept and the dark style of the movie - some of the action sequences were awesome - and really wanted to get into it but instead was left feeling a bit bewildered. It left too much unexplained, and much of the time I was left wondering things like "How'd they know the Chosen One is out there now all of a sudden?", "What the hell is the Gloom and how does it work?", "What power does this Other have?", "What's the story with that weird vortex lady?", "Is that all it took for her to lift her own curse?", "Wait why are those two making out now, are they a couple?". :)

On the plus side I somehow still had a positive feeling about the movie, maybe 'cause I can see the potential of what's there to enjoy once I get a handle on it. I certainly enjoyed the different experience of watching a supernatural thriller without the usual Hollywood vibe - it's more exciting when there's that feeling that there are no 'rules'. One other thing that was pretty cool was that although there were opposing forces labelled as light and dark, their alignment to good or evil seemed open to interpretation. In short I'm still really intrigued by the movie and am keen to give it another chance.. after reading the book..

WinnieThePoo said:
well , you can always ask me about immigrant expexperience
better than a movie

I came here as a refugee, so I am well acquainted with the immigrant experience.

It is a wonderful movie nonetheless.

sorry , i meant no harm
btw , couple months ago , i watched good doc about crystal meth with val kilmer doing the narrative , very positive film

corianderstem said:
What's the name of that doc about crystal meth?

My god, Cori. Get a hold of yourself.

You'll NEVER be Fergie.

1036394169-Did_fergie_pee_her_pants.jpg

I think this is how we lost NSW.

Last edited:
He turned into Fergie-Ferg? I'm pretty sure that's not it.

She bugs the ever-lovin' snot out of me, but I will freely admit to digging a couple of her songs.

I loved seeing her get attacked by zombies in Planet Terror.

That was satisfying.

corianderstem said:
He turned into Fergie-Ferg? I'm pretty sure that's not it.

She bugs the ever-lovin' snot out of me, but I will freely admit to digging a couple of her songs.

Just wait and see what happens to those lumps, those lumps, those lovely, lovely lumps if you get on the meth train.

:eyebrow:

lazarus said:
The Double Life of Veronique (Kieslowski, 1991)

From the director of the Three Colors trilogy. I had seen this a looooong time ago, and finally got around to watching my new Criterion DVD. This is very much in line with the subsequent trilogy, in that Kieslowski maintains almost a god-like presence over his characters, pulling the strings of fate in what would normally seem like plot contrivances.

Irene Jacob (the beautiful, young Ingrid Bergman-resembling) who was the lead in Red, plays two roles here: The Polish girl Weronika, a young student and singer, and then for the remaining hour of the film, her doppelganger Veronique, a French music teacher (she won the Best Actress award at Cannes for this film). There is a moment in the first section where the two cross paths, and both of their lives change drastically after that scene, as the exposed connection seems to send shock waves through each of them.

This film is so unique that it's very difficult to describe because the plot is very simple. It's really about a young woman awakening to the world around her, even if that sounds like an ad for a feminine hygene product. There's a sense of mystery that pervades the final stretch of the film, and if the payoff seems simple, it's still very profound.

I only just watched this myself a few weeks back. I thought Irene Jacob was brilliant in the dual role and Kieslowski afforded her an unforgettable entrance with that shot of her singing in the rain. The look of pure joy on her face... wow. Can you believe he had Andie MacDowell in mind originally?!?

I found it a challenging film to watch though, not as immediately accessible as his Three Colours Trilogy. I'll have to return to it in the future as it seems to be one that demands multiple viewings to absord fully, once knowledge of the basic plot is out the way.

By the way, have you seen any of his Dekalog? I'm fascinated by the idea surrounding it but keep pushing it back.

Oh yeah. The Dekalog is a landmark in cinema (even though it was initially broadcast on Polish TV). I own the script in book form and the DVD boxed set. Really amazing stuff. The film for the 5th Commandment, Thou Shall Not Kill, is one of the most powerful things you will ever see.

The Fountain
I was really apprehensive about watching this again after not seeing it since at the cinema. Would it transfer well to the small screen and would it captivate me as much as the first time?

As good as can be expected and possibly even more so.

This is one of the most beautiful modern films I’ve seen and even if the fantastic visuals of the future sequences deserve to be seen on the big screen they still impress at home. Arronfsky infuses each time period with it’s own themes and tones and the only bum notes he strikes are most likely down to budget constraints (the opening Mayan scenes just seem too backlot constructed to completely convince). But his overall use of colour and sound, including not having any music score play during the contemporary scenes to great effect, work wonders and one never wishes to get back to another time period. They all fit together perfectly and never outstay their welcome. Jackman has never been better in a demanding role and the chemistry he shares with the also great Weisz is both tender and ultimately heart breaking. Much was said at the time of release about how the three different threads slot together and whether the past and future ones were real and / or literal. Over two viewings I’ve made up my mind but there’s so much more depth here than in this surface puzzle. If I were to redo my 2007 list it would definitely feature higher and it was already at #4.

Notes on a Scandal
Missed this last year and caught it on Sky at the weekend. A shame really as this was a gripping little drama with a quality turn from Judi Dench as an obsessive spinster. Cate Blanchett (does she ever stop working?) holds her own impressively but for all the explanations given I never quite got why she risked everything important in her life for a 15-year old nob who happened to be good at art. I know girls like a bit of rough, but come on. So as good as she is Cate is really just here to initiate the plot and act foolishly. Luckily Judi really is great and avoids overplaying her role into a boo-hiss villain. We get inside her head thanks to her titular notes and what’s gratifying is that we get her views on a variety of subjects as we view them impartially, rather than just solely given her perspective. Worth watching for her alone.

It Happened One Night
As far as romantic comedies go this is as good as they get, especially given the talent involved and the fact it practically minted the template modern rom-coms still use today. Clark Gable is a hoot as the down to earth, carrot munching, fast talking (and occasionally sozzled) journalist in need of that one big story to stop his boss from finally shit canning him. Gable’s performance is so entertaining and well realised it too has been emulated many times over the years (Chevy Chase’s Fletch is a good example). Claudette Colbert plays the stuck up, spoilt brat fleeing her wealthy father in Miami to meet up with her ill-suited suitor. Of course they meet and with one thing leading to another Gable accompanies her on her way. And then they slowly fall in looove…

So yes the plot might be as overly familiar these days but it’s the individual elements that make it so much fun. Frank Capra’s direction is a joy to watch, skipping briskly through their various escapades and always ending each scene on the right note, while the script is hilarious. No wonder the film won the top five Oscars. It’s also remarkably (and I suppose appropriately) chaste and it only adds to the charm. I’ve got too many favourite scenes to even begin referring to but doing so would spoil the fun. Give it a go even if you don’t normally bother with the classics or rom-coms.

The Ice Storm just beat the living shit out of me. There's a ton in this film to digest, and I don't think I'm going to be able to find the rhyme and reason of all of it any time soon, certainly not until a second or third viewing. It's been a while since I've been left so uneasy by a film though, sort of like my feet have been slipped out from under me, you know? I do know that Ang Lee is a true master of the craft though, detractors be damned. Still need to see a few more of his films, but just about everything he's created in at least the last 10 year has been absolutely stellar, Hulk notwithstanding. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Brokeback Mountain, Lust Caution, and now this. Not many people are capable of work of this caliber these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom