Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) IV - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #196
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,000
Local Time: 05:59 AM
You pick, Friendo.
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #197
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
FitzChivalry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
Posts: 6,300
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Against my better judgment, I finally saw Juno since it was the only nominated picture I hadn't seen. I absolutely hated every minute of it. I almost walked out but then I got obsessed with how much I hated the dialogue and I continued to sit there to see how bad it could get. I am astonished that it is even mentioned in the same breath as the other nominations. The worst movie I saw during the last 12 months.

Oh, and I also hated it.
Wow, Joyful, that seems a tad harsh.

Yes, I completely agree, at times the dialogue felt *very* written. But it came and went in spurts. And, when it was full-blown unrealistic, it was distracting.

But I felt there was much more to the movie that more than made up for those spurts of unrealistic dialogue. I thought the plot, pacing, and above all, acting were all great. So many of those actors conveyed so much outside of the dialogue.

For me the movie had heart. And not cheesy, saccharin, sappy heart. But real, genuine, cathartic heart that flowed from the plot and characters. And that is the reason I liked it a lot.

Is it Oscar worthy? I'm not sure. I'm kind of against only deep, meaningful, solemn movies that take themselves so seriously being the only films that are deemed "Oscar worthy". It'd be nice to get some more comedies or quirky films in there.

I agree there were a lot of great movies last year. And I think Juno definitely belongs somewhere on that list.
__________________

__________________
FitzChivalry is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #198
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 07:59 AM
I think the dialogue in Juno contributes to its oh so quirky and offbeat little world it creates for itself, not our own. Even if you dislike the dialogue, it stays consistent throughout and supports the world it helps create, if that makes any sense.

I enjoyed it for what it was, even if it wasn't something I'd see myself doing or saying every day, you know?
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #199
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,000
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I enjoyed it for what it was, even if it wasn't something I'd see myself doing or saying every day, you know?

See yourself doing what, impregnating high school girls?


__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #200
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 07:59 AM
You're just jealous that you can't anymore... well, legally.
__________________
LMP is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #201
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,000
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Is that...legal?

I will MAKE it legal.


__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 06:42 PM   #202
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry


Wow, Joyful, that seems a tad harsh.

Yes, I completely agree, at times the dialogue felt *very* written. But it came and went in spurts. And, when it was full-blown unrealistic, it was distracting.

But I felt there was much more to the movie that more than made up for those spurts of unrealistic dialogue. I thought the plot, pacing, and above all, acting were all great. So many of those actors conveyed so much outside of the dialogue.

For me the movie had heart. And not cheesy, saccharin, sappy heart. But real, genuine, cathartic heart that flowed from the plot and characters. And that is the reason I liked it a lot.

Is it Oscar worthy? I'm not sure. I'm kind of against only deep, meaningful, solemn movies that take themselves so seriously being the only films that are deemed "Oscar worthy". It'd be nice to get some more comedies or quirky films in there.

I agree there were a lot of great movies last year. And I think Juno definitely belongs somewhere on that list.
Okay, you make some good points, and obviously most people seem to agree with you. I couldn't get past the overwritten self-consciously clever dialogue to connect with the heart underneath--I just got bored. I don't know if I can say that a movie that is this wildly loved could be overrated but it sure feels overrated to me.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 PM   #203
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,000
Local Time: 05:59 AM
You aren't wrong, joyful girl.

People just want to feel like they're in on the joke.

The script comes off as very amateur, which isn't surprising considering the source. What's funny on a blog doesn't necessarily translate to the screen.

Page's ability to find the humanity of Juno in the second half, and Garner, are what save this film from being really crappy. It's still tonally all-over-the-place and could have benefitted from a better director.
__________________
lazarus is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Well, I am reluctant to use the "overrated" word when millions of people resonate with something I didn't like. I'm not sure if people just want to be in on the joke or if they're truly into it, if not everything about it then parts of it. The theatre I was in was packed with people howling laughing at every joke and, I sensed, getting weepy at the end. Who am I to dismiss that? All I can say for sure is that it missed the chord in me that it struck in everyone else.

I agree with you about the second half--much better than the first--and Jennifer Garner's character melted my heart a little bit,which means I have to revise what I said earlier. I guess I did feel some heart in it after all. But not all that much.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #205
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Well, I am reluctant to use the "overrated" word when millions of people resonate with something I didn't like. I'm not sure if people just want to be in on the joke or if they're truly into it, if not everything about it then parts of it. The theatre I was in was packed with people howling laughing at every joke and, I sensed, getting weepy at the end. Who am I to dismiss that? All I can say for sure is that it missed the chord in me that it struck in everyone else.

I agree with you about the second half--much better than the first--and Jennifer Garner's character melted my heart a little bit,which means I have to revise what I said earlier. I guess I did feel some heart in it after all. But not all that much.
I've yet to see it, and, likely won't until it's on cable/satellite.

Do not forget to post a Top V comedies of some variety, I'm always curious to see what makes people laugh. At your leisure, of course.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #206
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words


I've yet to see it, and, likely won't until it's on cable/satellite.

Do not forget to post a Top V comedies of some variety, I'm always curious to see what makes people laugh. At your leisure, of course.
Okay...now, there's no way these can be my all-time favorites because there are too many great comedies I haven't seen in a long time. Maybe if I watched "Some Like it Hot" or "Young Frankenstein" again they would still make me really laugh but it's been too long since I've seen them and I don't know if they'd still be that funny to me. But I'm not very good at picking all-time favorite anything partly because my memory sucks and partly because...well, it's just hard.

But, here are some movies that always make me laugh a lot, and every time I'm channel-surfing and one of them is on, I stop and watch it all the way through and enjoy it all over again.

1. Annie Hall - I mean, it's just the best, right?
2. Manhattan
3. The Graduate
4. This is Spinal Tap
5. About a Boy / High Fidelity tie (just to pick something from the last decade though I'm sure there are better ones that I'm not remembering)

More recently, I saw Knocked Up because I really loved 40 Year Old Virgin--so charming and real--but I hated Knocked Up.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #207
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl


But, here are some movies that always make me laugh a lot, and every time I'm channel-surfing and one of them is on, I stop and watch it all the way through and enjoy it all over again.

1. Annie Hall - I mean, it's just the best, right?
2. Manhattan
3. The Graduate
4. This is Spinal Tap
5. About a Boy / High Fidelity tie (just to pick something from the last decade though I'm sure there are better ones that I'm not remembering)

More recently, I saw Knocked Up because I really loved 40 Year Old Virgin--so charming and real--but I hated Knocked Up.
That's a great list of 5, nice. I actually prefer Manhattan over Annie Hall, but by a small margin. Spinal Tap is the gift that keeps giving, still really freaking funny. I love quoting it. I like About a Boy and High Fidelity as well, though, probably prefer the latter. Both are great books by the same author, though.

I agree 100% that 40 Yr old Virgin was better than Knocked Up, but did enjoy Knocked Up.

Thanks for doing this, sorry to put you on the spot.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 06:59 AM
I did good? Whew.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #209
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 05:59 AM
I think so. Lance and Laz could waltz in here and say otherwise, though, if either of them dislikes Spinal Tap, I will fight them.
__________________
No spoken words is offline  
Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #210
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,000
Local Time: 05:59 AM
I like Spinal Tap, but it wouldn't be in my Top 5.

1. Bringing Up Baby
2. Annie Hall
3. Caddyshack
4. The Big Lebowski
5. Fletch

These are the 5 that I laugh at the most, not necessarily the best "films". I'd probably have Young Frankenstein up there as an alternate.
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline  
 

Tags
movie reviews

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com