Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:15 PM
Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III

Carry on!

Old 10-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:15 PM
I just saw Across the Universe. Parts of it were pretty good, mainly the Vietnam-related material (I Want You and Happiness is a Warm Gun were highlights) and I liked the leads and general story, but some of it was completely overdone. The entire character of Prudence was unnecessary, as was Mr. Kite's little deal and some other songs in the 2nd act.

I'm sure if you trim 4-5 of the songs and about a half hour off of this movie, it goes from good to great.

**1/2 out of ****

Old 10-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:15 PM
I have only seen about 30 minutes of across the universe - when I was waiting for Jesse James to start.

I was in grade school and junior high school during the 60s

anyways, the theater was filled with mostly 20 somethings

and they seemed to be enjoying the movie

the best part I saw was Joe Cocker
- for a few seconds - he is the real deal

but it was Gawd- Awful cutting to billy joel during the same song

Woodstock the movie
is a good film for that era

Joe Cocker is in that one. too.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Billy Joel? Completely missed him.

Darjeeling finally opened in a theater near me, so I should be seeing that sometime this week.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Billy Joel? Completely missed him.

Darjeeling finally opened in a theater near me, so I should be seeing that sometime this week.
looks like I am wrong about Billy Joel

can't find him on any of the cast listings

regardless, I did not like the film

I think you will like Darjeeling

I sure did

it has some great 60s music

Kinks
I am a big fan!
Old 10-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks, I'm really excited for Darjeeling. The soundtrack is fantastic, you can't have enough Kinks.

I do remember reading Wes Anderson intended using Beatles tracks but the royalties were way too high.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

ATU--LOVED it! The Vietnam era footage was especially good as was the music of course. My only negative comment is I did feel it was a tad bit long, but it re-capped a good story, excellent characters all from the era that invented pop music. The intermingling story lines and characters along with the music was very well done I can't wait till it comes out on dvd.

I give it a *** 1/2 out of ****
Old 10-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:15 PM
Fun fact to know and remember: Red Dawn was the first movie to be labeled as PG-13.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

I remember all the hubbub when the PG-13 rating came out. Red Dawn was the first, but Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was one of the big ones to get slapped with the new rating.

I just saw ...

Gone Baby Gone

8/10

Earlier in the movie, I was rating it lower because I was really disturbed by using actors who looked so young. I read Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro books some years ago and have mostly forgotten the plots, but the characters really stayed with me.

And yes, they put that into the plot, about Patrick looking so young, but he was too baby-faced. And poor Angie Gennaro - I know it's different to build a character into one movie as opposed to over multiple books, but they reduced a multi-faceted, complex character into a pretty face who mainly just was a sidekick who looked concerned. That fact alone almost makes me want to rate the movie lower.

Oh, and Bubba - Bubba looked WAY too young. But hey, that comes with the territory when you adapt books to the screen.

But Casey Affleck had me buying into the performance and character by the end of the movie, and I thought it was excellent.

But man, reducing Angie to a sidekick really pissed me off. She's a great character, and deserved better.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
Fun fact to know and remember: Red Dawn was the first movie to be labeled as PG-13.
Thank Steven Spielberg for that one.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:42 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:15 PM
Gone Baby Gone - 8.5/10

Ben Affleck can direct! I'm amazed. It's far from a masterful job, but damn impressive nontheless. His brother Casey proves once again what a fine young talent he is. This film benefits from a rock solid script, that rarely surprised, but maintains a taught and deliberate narrative. The biggest strength of the film, though, comes from the seed of debate it plants in your mind walking out of the picture. The film itself doesn't ask many questions, but it succeeds at making the audience ask them themselves, which is the sign of a great script. Do I agree with Casey's character's dicision in the end? I don't know, but I do know that I've been thinking about it since this afternoon.

The Godfather - 10/10

My second time viewing the film tonight was a much more satisfying experience than the first. There isn't much to say about the film that hasn't been said, other than to affirm my admiration for the film. I still haven't seen Part II yet, though I'm planning to either this week, or possibly during Thanksgiving break. Either way, I feel much more prepared for the next installment than I did before, and I am genuinely looking forward to it now.

I gotta say though, I still greatly prefer Once Upon A Time In America, which I've only seen once.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:50 AM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:15 PM
I had Children Of Men recorded on my TiVo-type machine. Then of course the box died and we got a new one earlier in the week, so all the recorded stuff I had yet to watch disappeared. I was flippin' channels the other night and saw this movie was on, so I started watching from the middle, which I hate to do. But everyone on the board had raved about it, so I wanted to see what the buzz was about. I started basically from the point where Theo and Kee (sp?) and the other lady had to leave in the middle of the night. Anyway, the movie was on again last night and I got to see it in it's entirety. One of the best scenes is near the end during the fighting when Theo & Kee are leaving the building with the baby, and walking thru the street... Taping the movie now so I can perhaps rewatch it or certain scenes, and make hubby watch it if I can.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - again, another movie I've seen parts of, and last night saw more than I had before. But damn , still missed the first 25 minutes, which seems to be pretty important. Still liked what I saw. Now if I can just figure out the friggin' schedule of HBO/Starz/Showtime/Cinemax...on my cable box, I could actually program it to record the whole damn thing
Old 10-28-2007, 10:09 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:15 PM
Dan In Real Life

6/10 I guess, I'm ambivalent

I enjoyed Steve Carell, I think he's incredibly charming and cute- his singing scene honestly made me cry. But the characters weren't all that believable, and the writing was sometimes cringeworthy . And in what universe would Juliette Binoche be into Dane Cook, I ask Minus points out of 10 just for Dane Cook, maybe I'm just so sick of his October baseball commercials. Worth renting for the Steve content and performance. It even made Juliette Binoche look sort of "average" and in what universe could she ever be average?. I admit the romantic side of it got to me a little, but it's pretty predictable and cliche.

I love Emily Blunt, she has a small but cute role. I saw The Jane Austen Book Club and she was so good in that too, I think she's so talented and just a natural. Plus points for her too.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 02:15 AM
I've just watched Anne Fontaine's Nathalie, starring Fanny Ardant, Emmanuelle Beart and Gerard Depardieu.

Here's a review I, er, knocked out in 5 minutes.

Yes, it’s another French Sex Film™. But if you’re looking for strong nudity and endless rounds of meaningless sex, then you’ve come to the wrong gentleman’s club. Nathalie frees itself of any traditional constraints, developing into a sophisticated psychological drama focused on the equivocal relationship between two women who aren’t quite sure what it is they want from each other, only that they want it very badly.

Catherine (Ardant) is a successful Parisian gynaecologist whose long-term marriage to Bernard (Depardieu) has grown stale. When she checks his mobile phone for messages one afternoon she discovers a young female thanking him in no uncertain terms for a wonderful night. After an icy confrontation with Bernard, in which he shrugs off her finding as ‘too banal to talk about’, Catherine decides to deal with the situation in her own clinical way. She hires Marlene (Beart), a would-be beautician by day and enigma-like hooker by night, to seduce her unknowing husband under the pseudonym ‘Nathalie’ and report back after each meeting with detailed accounts of their hotel room rendezvous. How French.

Ardant is truly captivating as the wounded Catherine, bringing an unspoken depth to a woman struggling to grasp her feelings. Beart as usual oozes sensuality, displaying a classy yet vulnerable quality as her character gradually becomes lost in her new altar ego. Depardieu, meanwhile, exudes his trademark lethargic sufficiency of late in what very little screen time he has. Indeed the surprise here is that the film isn’t about Bernard and Catherine, or Bernard and Nathalie. In fact, Bernard proves to be nothing more than a plot device for the film’s central relationship, a minor character resembling a libidinous puppy that apparently wants to hump everything in sight. The film is seen predominantly from Catherine’s perspective, which requires the audience to receive and interpret information as she does. However, Fontaine lays the ambiguity on thick, so you’re never quite sure what to believe. Are Marlene’s reports to be taken at face value? And what of Catherine’s true motivations? Is she turned on by the stories, seeking Bernard’s secret sexual preferences, or curious about her own hidden desires? After all, in a fascinating reversal of roles, it is she who is eventually excusing herself from her spouse to visit Marlene and Bernard left wondering where she is spending her evenings.

Much like Mike Nichols’ Closer, the significant eroticism is all in the sultry atmosphere and the progressively explicit dialogue. The exchange of words between the two enigmatic leading ladies is always riveting, creating all kinds of complicated expectations. If anything bad can be said about Nathalie it’s that it contains an obvious twist that threatens to undermine the film’s intelligence. But this is a minor nitpick. Nathalie injects something fresh, a new angle on the relationship between call-girl and client. And while it’s not exactly earth shattering stuff, it’s a pleasure to get lost in an adulterous world as elegant and quietly intriguing as this.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Beautiful Girls

4/10

I don't even remember why I wanted to see this movie in the first place. It's been in my Netflix queue for ages, and I kept pushing it back, and pushing it back, and finally let it show up at my door.

It was pretty dull. Oh well.