Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:
Photoshop that bitch to indicate that LMP is the little girl in the back.

LMP SUV is cracking me up, sorry....I make me laugh. It's sad.

Can you add me watching Boogie Nights on an iPod, too, please?

kthxbai.

I wonder if Lance's Mom and my mom go shopping together? Or possibly carpool.

200px-Carpool_poster.jpg

LemonMacPhisto said:
I wonder if Lance's Mom and my mom go shopping together? Or possibly carpool.

Wouldn't surprise me.

ALewis_33_Ronnies_sex_shop.JPG

God, that was an easy set up. If this were a basketball game you'd definitely have an assist.

lazarus re: [B]Stardust Memories said:
I'm SO glad you managed to check this out, esp based on my recommendation. I think you wrote this one up perfectly--it's not as delightful a confection as some of Woody's other great films, nor is it a penetrating look at peoples' ethics and morals like Husbands and Wives, Crimes and Misdemeanors, or Match Point. It's the most highly stylized of all his films, and fantastical is a good way to describe it. The scene with Charlotte Rampling in the sanitarium with all the jump cuts is one of the most powerful in his oeuvre, and I don't know if there's another one like it. What's great is that in the same film you have a counterpoint about the same character, equally powerful, that's so simple and conventional; the scene where he remembers sitting in the apartment eating cereal and listening to Louis Armstrong performing "Stardust" while Dorie sits on the floor reading.

Though Woody denied it was autobiographical (I can't imagine someone could loathe their fans that much, even the annoying ones), there must be some connection between his character here and himself, as he was a director of comedies attempting to do something different and getting critically (and publicly) chastised for it. This turning the funhouse mirror on himself and his world is what makes this not only brilliant cinematically, but thematically as well. [/B]

I definitely agree with your last few points there, given that he wrote, directed and played the fictional director after going through a similar experience, there must be a few more personal parts to the finished film than in his others.

And I loved the stylised look it had. As in Annie Hall Woody seemed to be having a ball with the wealth of cinematic techniques he used.

lazarus said:
I can't wait for LMP: U of Miami.

If it's anything like Saved By The Belll: The College Years, we're in for a treat.

change that to Florida State and that may very well happen.

Into the Wild (dir. Sean Penn)

I've been trying to see this for over a month, and glad I finally made it. At this point, in a dead heat with James/Ford for #2 of the year for me. This one definitely lived up all to the superlatives; without a doubt Penn's best film to date, and everyone behind and in front of the camera was fantastic, with special mention going to a tremendously moving Hal Holbrook, who will at least be nominated for an Oscar.

It's easy to poke fun at an idealist like Chris McCandless, but it's hard not to admire a good portion of his philosophy. Unfortunately, the secret to happiness lies somewhere between rejecting the traps of lockstep materialism or being a cog in the wheel of society, and distancing yourself completely from humanity. What's great is that this tough lesson is something that I think all people can benefit from learning, wherever along that spectrum you happen to be.

The one thing that struck me the most was how natural everything was. The photography, the dialogue, the actors. It all just seemed very real to me, not an ounce of phoniness. Even Vince Vaughn, and that's some kind of achievement.

On a side note, I couldn't believe the hot little number that Panic Room's Kristen Stewart has grown into. Unfortunately, she was the same age as the 16-year old she was playing in the film. Too young to be my new crush, but maybe Lance will act in my stead. McCandless' failure to give in to temptation was perhaps the only unrealistic (and frustrating) part of the film.

kristen%20stewart%20MQ%20perfect%20face.jpg

I did like her a lot in Into the Wild.

The book goes more into how Chris pretty much lived asexually and just wasn't interested in having that kind of relationship.

I figured that was the real reason, and that asking her about her age was just an easy way of avoiding it. Was he just afraid of forming a connection he wouldn't be able to get away from?

More importantly, does my interest in getting down with Catherine Keener's MILF as well excuse my lust for Stewart?

I'm an equal opportunity employer.

lazarus said:
McCandless' failure to give in to temptation was perhaps the only unrealistic (and frustrating) part of the film.

In the book, Jan Burres is quoted as saying, "Alex was nice to her, but she was too young for him. He couldn't take her seriously."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom