Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #691
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:50 PM
ok

so I can hit two films very soon

will I opt for

Orphans
and
Juno

or
Sweeney Todd
and
C Ws War?

art house
or
main stream?

Old 12-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #692
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Out of Sight is a fantastic movie and as an added bonus, a nice reminder of a time when JLo didn't make me gag.
LOL!

I liked her dream sequence, you know, the one with the bathtub

Old 12-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #693
Blue Crack Distributor

I liked Jennifer Lopez in Selena (which is one of those movies I have to stop and watch if I come across it on cable. ).
Old 12-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #694
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:50 PM
My brother just gave me 2 DVDs which I will try to watch over the next couple of days.

An Unreasonable Man and Sophie Scholl: The Final Days. Any recs/comments?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:59 PM   #695
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyskin

Howl's Moving Castle
When I first saw this at the cinema two years ago (I was the only person in there - all the kids on holiday were watching Nanny McPhee for some reason) I left feeling that Miyazaki allowed himself to gently meander through the first half before realising that he still had all this damn plot to cram in. Watching it again with a full knowledge of the plot meant I didn't get as lost as last time, but the pacing is still wildly uneven. I love the languid nature of the first half as Miyazaki takes us through another wonderful world he's created, but when the shit hits the fan it feels like being rudely pulled into a 400m sprint midway through a relaxing stroll in the park. Other than that it's still hard to fault overall, the main criticism being that it borrows a little too much from his previous Ghibli films whilst not quite hitting their peaks. One to watch.

MS, did you ever get the chance to see Tales From Earthsea from Miyazaki's son Goro? It's still not available in the U.S. but I know the U.K. has it. The problem is that the Sci-Fi channel did a live action adaptation of LeGuin's novel a couple years ago (atrocious, from what I've heard), and the network still has the rights until 2009 or something, which is preventing Disney from releasing this in the U.S.

I managed to download a poorly subtitled version, and while I wouldn't say it compares to Hayao's best works, I thought it received a lot of unfair criticism. Considering it was Goro's first film, I thought it was very well done and much darker than his father's normal material. It had a very epic, Lord of the Rings type quality, though it would have been nice to see the other books adapted as well to flesh out the whole mythology. Ultimately, it still felt worthy of the Ghibli name.

I just purchased a copy on eBay and am hoping to watch it again soon with the English language dub (Timothy Dalton and Cheech Marin are the only noteworthy names, unfortunately), as I had a bit of a hard time following the story the first time around with the bad dialogue translation. Hopefully I can present a more thorough critique then.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #696
Blue Crack Distributor

The Brothers Solomon.

Heh. I knew it would probably be pretty bad, but Will Arnett makes me laugh just by standing there looking into the camera, and I think Will Forte is pretty funny, too.

The first half hour was fairly amusing, and then I lost complete interest. The opening credits made me laugh the most, which is pretty sad, but I guess not too surprising.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:26 AM   #697
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten

Really great. A bit frustrating not to have all the interviewees identified, and the credits rolled by too fast to read them, but somehow I think Strummer would have appreciated the artistic choice. I liked that the focus of the film wasn't just his years with The Clash but the whole of his life. A really great character study of a complex and fascinating man with a big heart who left us way too young but at least he was happy in his final years.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:59 AM   #698
Refugee

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
MS, did you ever get the chance to see Tales From Earthsea from Miyazaki's son Goro? It's still not available in the U.S. but I know the U.K. has it. The problem is that the Sci-Fi channel did a live action adaptation of LeGuin's novel a couple years ago (atrocious, from what I've heard), and the network still has the rights until 2009 or something, which is preventing Disney from releasing this in the U.S.

I managed to download a poorly subtitled version, and while I wouldn't say it compares to Hayao's best works, I thought it received a lot of unfair criticism. Considering it was Goro's first film, I thought it was very well done and much darker than his father's normal material. It had a very epic, Lord of the Rings type quality, though it would have been nice to see the other books adapted as well to flesh out the whole mythology. Ultimately, it still felt worthy of the Ghibli name.

I just purchased a copy on eBay and am hoping to watch it again soon with the English language dub (Timothy Dalton and Cheech Marin are the only noteworthy names, unfortunately), as I had a bit of a hard time following the story the first time around with the bad dialogue translation. Hopefully I can present a more thorough critique then.
The one week it was screening at a nearby cinema was during weekday afternoons so I wasn't able to. I did follow it though because it's Ghibli and saw that a lot of reviews here gave it 3/5 with the general criticism being that the story is too muddled for one not familiar with the source material. I'll give it a rent some time and see what I think. It's a shame that Goro has all of this pressure to live up to his Dad's reputation right off the bat, in fact it's downright unreasonable.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 AM   #699
Blue Crack Supplier

Well it's better than Castle of Cagliostro, that's for sure.

Of course, Hayao followed that up with Nausicaa, which I think is one of his 2 best films, so he was a quick learner.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:50 AM   #700
Refugee

Local Time: 08:50 PM
I really like Castle of Cagliostro

Completely different to anything Miyazaki did with Ghibli but as an entertaining adventure movie I think it more than delivers.

Have you heard much about Ponyo on a Cliff? It's Miyazaki Senior's next film (even though he claims each one since Princess Mononoke will be his last) and it's due out in Japan in June.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo_on_a_Cliff
Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #701
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Sweeny Todd
8/10

it was entertaining and managed to not be annoying with all the singing, I would definitely watch it again but I certainly didn't think it was the greatest film ever made, at all. I didn't really care for Johnny Depp's singing voice, but he was great nonetheless. The cast was all great, especially Alan Rickman ..even if his part wasn't that big. The gore wasn't as graphic as people have made it sound, the blood looks like squirting koolaid, and there's not like dismembering of bodies shown, just the slice across the neck which you always know it's coming.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 AM   #702
Blue Crack Distributor

I found the bodies falling through the trap door and thudding below to be more disturbing than the blood.

But I agree that the blood looked way too fake to be disturbing. Heck, the blood was the most colorful thing in the movie, which I'm sure was intentional.

I was reading discussions of the movie elsewhere, and apparently Burton cut a LOT of the dark humor that's in the original musical, and focused on the tragedy. I think it would have worked better for me if he'd left more of the black humor in.

Because hey - killing people and making them into pies? Funny.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #703
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:50 PM
An Unreasonable Man.

Solid documentary about the political life of Ralph Nader. About half or just more than half of the film is spent on his activism in the 50s, 60s and 70s, and the remainder deals with the 2000 and 2004 elections. It's an honest take and you really get a wide array of responses from people and a sense of who he is as a person. They interviewed some very compelling people, and I generally find that journalists give fantastic interviews so that's what made the film quite special.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:06 PM   #704
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:50 PM
I woke up this morning with a lot of the Sweeney Todd songs stuck in my head.

Good for the movie, bad for my sanity.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:22 PM   #705
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyskin
I really like Castle of Cagliostro

Completely different to anything Miyazaki did with Ghibli but as an entertaining adventure movie I think it more than delivers.

Have you heard much about Ponyo on a Cliff? It's Miyazaki Senior's next film (even though he claims each one since Princess Mononoke will be his last) and it's due out in Japan in June.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo_on_a_Cliff

Cagliostro isn't bad, but it's not Ghibli, and lacks the weight and artistry of that studio's work. It is entertaining, I'll give you that.

I have read and seen work from Ponyo, and I'm just hoping it hits the Western world before the end of the year.

Have you ever seen non -Miyazaki, Ghibli production The Cat Returns? I really liked Whisper of the Heart and I know it has characters from that film.