Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 PM   #661
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:23 AM
I seriously thought about driving to Philly tomorrow night to see it again...

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #662
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 AM
Juno. 8/10.

I mainly ranked it that based on the performances. Ellen Page was fantastic and I've always loved Alison Janney and she definitely doesn't disappoint here ("As soon as you move out, I'm getting Weimeraners!" was just hilarious). Jennifer Garner was perfectly cast as well.

Definitely leans on the cutesy side and the dialogue is frankly ridiculous at times. But I found that it got better as the movie went on (the worst bits were right at the start in the convenience store and when she called her best friend). It got a little less Gilmore Girls and a little more human after that. A little.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #663
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Juno. 8/10.

I mainly ranked it that based on the performances. Ellen Page was fantastic and I've always loved Alison Janney and she definitely doesn't disappoint here ("As soon as you move out, I'm getting Weimeraners!" was just hilarious). Jennifer Garner was perfectly cast as well.

Definitely leans on the cutesy side and the dialogue is frankly ridiculous at times. But I found that it got better as the movie went on (the worst bits were right at the start in the convenience store and when she called her best friend). It got a little less Gilmore Girls and a little more human after that. A little.
What did you think about Jason Bateman's character/lack of resolution? He may have been my favorite character apart from Juno herself.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 PM   #664
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Kite Runner. Really great--but apparently if you read the book (which my friend had) it's disappointing and very watered down. Having not read the book, I loved it.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #665
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!
That alone has me dying of curiosity to see it.

But not enough to go to the University District in Seattle at freaking midnight for a 3 hour movie.

Uh ... NO.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:55 PM   #666
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I hope that line tops the "Minority Vote" line from Gangs. That's fucking classic.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:58 PM   #667
Blue Crack Supplier

Man, I'm seriously considering going to the midnight showing tomorrow. Just hate the idea of getting out of the theater around 3 fucking am. Torn.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:13 PM   #668
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Take a nap during the day?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #669
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

What did you think about Jason Bateman's character/lack of resolution? He may have been my favorite character apart from Juno herself.
I actually liked not knowing what happened to him, because truth be told, I don't think it was anything good. When his wife told him that he had to grow up, I think she called him on it. At some point, reality has to set in and while I agree that he was miserable in the marriage, I don't think that he was really going to ever be able to do with his life what he actually wanted to do. So it made sense to me that we were shown what happened to everyone else but him - they all got what they wanted; I simply assumed he went chasing rainbows.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 PM   #670
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:23 AM
Le Samourai - 10/10

I'm really picking 'em well lately. My first Melville, and I doubt I could have chosen a better introduction. This is really a landmark film of the french new wave, and pretty much sets the bar for much of the crime thriller genre of the last 40 years.

Alain Delon's commanding performance as Jef, a hired gunman with samurai-like deliberation and honor, is the driving force of this film along with Melville's pitch-perfect command over the film's complete direction. This is possibly as close to perfect as this type of story comes, and the Criterion Collection transfer I watched is absolutely stunning.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #671
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I actually liked not knowing what happened to him, because truth be told, I don't think it was anything good. When his wife told him that he had to grow up, I think she called him on it. At some point, reality has to set in and while I agree that he was miserable in the marriage, I don't think that he was really going to ever be able to do with his life what he actually wanted to do. So it made sense to me that we were shown what happened to everyone else but him - they all got what they wanted; I simply assumed he went chasing rainbows.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:51 AM   #672
Blue Crack Supplier

LMP, from what I've heard TWBB isn't opening in Orlando until Jan 18th.

<sigh>

The milkshake will be spoiled by then, I imagine.

"I'm finished."
Old 12-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #673
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
LMP, from what I've heard TWBB isn't opening in Orlando until Jan 18th.

<sigh>

The milkshake will be spoiled by then, I imagine.

"I'm finished."
That's sooner than I figured, so thanks for the info.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #674
Blue Crack Supplier

Atonement (dir. Joe Wright)

Well, after seeing the preview for this film about 50 times over the last few months, I finally managed to take in the whole feature. Major credit goes to everyone in front of and behind the camera, especially Joe Wright, who already proved himself with Pride & Prejudice, but here adds a sense of scope to his palette. On the acting side, Knightley gives what could have been a dry character a little more of a rough, sassy edge, and McAvoy was very much a revelation, really carrying the heaviest weight of the story.

Unfortunately, and I don't want to get into deep SPOILER territory here, but I wasn't a big fan of the twist at the end of the film. I'm sure that this is a device from the novel, and the effects of that twist are relatively moving, but I felt from a plotting standpoint it was a cheap and easy way out. There were so many directions the story could have gone in to approach a resolution, and I felt that every character except one is rather short-changed by this decision by the book's author.

So while I can't really fault anything in the adaptation or the execution, I can't say I was ultimately satisfied. And you know I was going to make this comparison anyway, but this film really doesn't hold a candle to the power of The English Patient. I thought Atonement did an equally great job showing the horrors or warfare, but it didn't wrap me up in its spell of doomed love as much as the previous Oscar winner.

A small ironic note, the interviewer at the end of the film is played by English Patient writer/director Anthony Minghella, which was a nice touch, though it only served to remind me personally of how much more brilliant his film was. It's the difference between talent and genius.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:43 PM   #675
Blue Crack Distributor

Having read the book, I'd say the "twist" works much better in the book than it does in the movie. I think it feels much less a plot device and more like the "atonement" it was meant to be for Briony.