Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #616
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:08 PM
I got a student discount tonight when I saw Walk Hard

I'd give it a 7/10 - the performances were great, as were the cameos (Eddie and Jack ), and it wasn't a one trick pony type deal like so many others of that genre can be (I'm looking at you, Blades of Glory).

Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #617
ONE
love, blood, life

Superbad- Hysterical.

Fido- Enjoyable.

Requiem For A Dream- Miserable.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 PM   #618
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
$14!!!! Holy crimony. That's ridiculous. And it sucks.
How much are movies where you are?

We're routinely paying $12-14 here unless you go for a matinee or have a student or senior discount.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #619
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Living in LA for 10 years spoiled me (at least movie-wise). You'd think There Will Be Blood would be playing somewhere in a bit city like Chicago, but I cannot fucking find it anywhere.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #620
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Living in LA for 10 years spoiled me (at least movie-wise). You'd think There Will Be Blood would be playing somewhere in a bit city like Chicago, but I cannot fucking find it anywhere.

They're doing sneak previews in 14 cities this Saturday night, and Chicago is definitely one of them. Couldn't tell you which theatre, though.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:46 PM   #621
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

They're doing sneak previews in 14 cities this Saturday night, and Chicago is definitely one of them. Couldn't tell you which theatre, though.
Thanks for the heads up....I'll figure it out.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 AM   #622
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Went to go see There Will Be Blood today at the Arclight in Hollywood, and apparently there are no matinees because it's a "holiday period". What the fuck is that? All the shows are $14 and I'll be damned if I'm going to give those greedy assholes my money. I've always hated that theatre and have only gone there twice, when it was the only place showing a particular film. As much as it's going to kill me, I may have to wait for this to get to central Florida as I'm going back to work there on the 2nd. It could be a long wait.

To make myself feel better I went next door to Amoeba Music and blew $40 on used laserdiscs.

It's going to be a hell of a long wait for Central Florida like you said. We just got Juno in more major theaters, so I'm seeing that tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:50 AM   #623
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:08 AM
Well I got to see There Will Be Blood tonight. Finally.

And it met and even far exceeded my expectations. I'm way too tired right now to write up anything thorough, and a good night's sleep will do me well for analysis (drove to NYC and back from South Jersey for this).

But it's definitely one for the ages, has the most stimulating and rewarding script Anderson has ever written (the parallels between scenes and characters are fucking brilliant, and always unpredictable, anyone complaining about the way PTA handles character in his films won't be able to make such claims after this one). The scenes are really so deep, and the content so rich it's nearly impossible to wrap my mind around it all after just one excited viewing, and I'll definitely be waiting anxiously to get the chance to see this again in theaters.

Film this year has been fantastic, and they seemed to get better as the months went along. I know I already said this a few times this year, but now I've seen (not quite) all the films I wanted to see this year (a few exceptions I'll be taking care of this month), and this really is the best of 2007.

And it's already given my friend and I the best film quote of the year, from the jaw-dropping finale:

I drink your milkshake!

Trust me, it's the best line of the year, just wait.

edit: and I didn't even mention Greenwood's score, which is really one of the finest aspects of this film's design. It's truly one of the best film scores in recent years, if not ever, up there with the best stuff Morricone's ever done. PTA takes a cue from Kubrick here as well with an inspired non-original musical selection that appears here and there.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #624
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
How much are movies where you are?
I think the last regular-priced movie I saw was American Gangster, and it was ... was it $10? If it was more than $10, it wasn't more than $11. I don't know if that's standard in Seattle, or if that's just the one, independent theater in my neighborhood. It's locally owned, and really lovely.

I really like going to a few theaters that have $5 movies on weekends for shows before noon. I saw I Am Legend at one of those theaters, but it was a 1:00 show, and it was $8.25. THAT'S a matinee? Sheesh.

I guess I'm old and crotchety.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #625
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:08 AM
I rented Eastern Promises last night. Not bad, but I felt there was something missing, just as I did with History of Violence. But it was pretty good. Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts both did a great job, though I don't think Viggo would get the Golden Globe for it.
Oh yeah, and that steam room fight scene was overhyped, IMO.

7.5 out of 10
Old 12-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #626
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem

I think the last regular-priced movie I saw was American Gangster, and it was ... was it $10? If it was more than $10, it wasn't more than $11. I don't know if that's standard in Seattle, or if that's just the one, independent theater in my neighborhood. It's locally owned, and really lovely.

I really like going to a few theaters that have $5 movies on weekends for shows before noon. I saw I Am Legend at one of those theaters, but it was a 1:00 show, and it was $8.25. THAT'S a matinee? Sheesh.

I guess I'm old and crotchety.
We pay $9, and $6.75 for matinees. And I thought $9 was a lot!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #627
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:08 PM
Margot at the Wedding. So much potential, but it completely failed. I liked the young boy, though.

I found Nicole Kidman's lip job distracting in not a good way, especially next to the completely natural Jennifer Jason Leigh. I do not understand Hollywood's obsession with bad lip jobs. Hers isn't as bad as, say, Melanie Griffith's, but it's still quite obvious.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #628
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Pearl
Oh yeah, and that steam room fight scene was overhyped, IMO.

Was that a steam room? With all that swinging meat I thought it took place in a butcher's shop.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #629
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Margot at the Wedding. So much potential, but it completely failed. I liked the young boy, though.

I found Nicole Kidman's lip job distracting in not a good way, especially next to the completely natural Jennifer Jason Leigh. I do not understand Hollywood's obsession with bad lip jobs. Hers isn't as bad as, say, Melanie Griffith's, but it's still quite obvious.

[insert generic Lance's Mom/lip job joke]
Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #630
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Walk Hard
7/10

Wasn't expecting much, but it was had me laughing the entire time the Dylan spoof & the Beatles part were some of my favorite scenes. If only Paul Rudd could ever have a bigger role.
John C Reilly was good as usual and Jenna Fischer was adorably cute.