Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #586
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:09 PM

8/10

Well, I finally opened the dvd case and watched this movie a couple of days ago.
I liked it very much! The action scenes were superb and the way it was shot, terrific.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #587
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:09 PM
Eastern Promises
4/10

Probably the most disappointing and boring film I have seen in a while (and I sat through all of Margot at the Wedding). The movie was so mediocre, uncreative, predictable and somehow managed to cast two good leading actors and still have them show no skill or potential. How this managed to get such highly praised reviews is the real mystery of this film.

Superbad
7/10

I'm never a fan of teen comedies especially those designed for 15 year old horny teenage boys. I tried liking the 40 Year OLd Virgin after hearing plenty of praise for it and a because of the cast, but it never happened. Knocked Up was a step above that, it had its moments, and rendered a few laughs from me. Superbad, full of comic cliches, actually was entertaining and hilarious for some god-awful reason and there was no alcohol involved when watching this. I would definitely watch this again and I fully know I would be laughing just as hard if not harder.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #588
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:09 PM
God, Margot at the Wedding looks like shit. I despise Noah Baumbach, even though he was involved with writing The Life Aquatic.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #589
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I love Life Aquatic and did enjoy THe Squid & THe Whale, but nothing , nothing could have prepared me for the most pretentious, uneventful, no-need-to-have-been-made movie that Margot at the Wedding was, I lost 2 hours of my life I will never get back.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #590
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I hated The Squid in the Whale, but I really thought I would enjoy it.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a waste of 2 hours for me. Maybe I'll like it after reading the book then revisiting it, but for now, big pile of nice-looking meh.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #591
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
Eastern Promises
4/10

Probably the most disappointing and boring film I have seen in a while (and I sat through all of Margot at the Wedding). The movie was so mediocre, uncreative, predictable and somehow managed to cast two good leading actors and still have them show no skill or potential. How this managed to get such highly praised reviews is the real mystery of this film.
A Cronenberg hater!!

I really thought it was quite excellent.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #592
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
I hated The Squid in the Whale, but I really thought I would enjoy it.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was a waste of 2 hours for me. Maybe I'll like it after reading the book then revisiting it, but for now, big pile of nice-looking meh.
Luckily I read the book before ever watching the movie, and how books made into movies go, they're never as good, never as poignant. Also I had read essays, books, and articles written by HST and had watched many interviews and clips on him. So I was completely aware of this as I sat down to watch the film, and it wasn't a bad interpretation. Was it better than the book? Of course not. But Depp really channeled HST spot on, it's a solid performance, I guess it helped that he lived in his basement and spent plenty of time with him. Bill Murray in ''Where the Buffalo Roams'' delivers a quirky and fairly good performance, I suppose if the movie overall had been better I would have enjoyed Murray's take on it much more.

Anywho, on the Squid+Whale..I didn't think I would like it much but I truly enjoyed it. It was uncomfortable at times, funny, honest, and depressing at others. Acting was good, the characters at times seemed underdeveloped but then would shine brightly on certain scenes. That being said, I figured that Margot wouldn't be as good but I wasn't expected to sit through something as utterly unamusing, annoying, boring and plain lame as it was. I can't think of a single good thing about it.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #593
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

A Cronenberg hater!!

I really thought it was quite excellent.
What did you find excellent about it?
I'm curious
Old 12-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #594
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 AM
Well, first I totally disagree with you that the actors didn't do a good job. They portrayed the Russian mob quite well, and I thought Viggo was very, very believable. Just the manner of conversation, the body language, etc, it came across as very Eastern European to me, and I appreciated that (although as I said I didn't buy Armin Mueller-Stahl as anything but a German). The simplicity of the explanation of what happened to the uncle, and the throwaway "He's old school, he knows how it is - you are exiled or you are dead" or whatever it was is a perfect summation of how far away Anna was removed as a 2nd gen immigrant from the cold realities of the Russian underground.

I liked the bathhouse scene as a good example of when nudity isn't gratuitous (it was almost necessary in this instance). I liked the naivete of the 2nd generation immigrant, and I really liked how they used London as a backdrop to tell the story, particularly the London that North Americans don't really envision.

Just a few things. I can see why it wouldn't be a movie for everyone, but a 4/10 seems quite unnecessarily harsh. That's the beauty of movies, though, to each his own.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #595
Blue Crack Supplier

YOUTH
WITHOUT
YOUTH

(dir. The Maestro, Francis Ford Coppola)

I really don't understand the lukewarm critical reception to this film. When David Lynch puts a camera to his masturbatory fantasies, he's fawned over like a genius. And while I also thought Mulholland Dr., I don't understand how one can support that film and call Youth Without Youth pretentious, baffling, impenetrable, etc.

Plot-wise it's a very hard film to describe. Essentially it's about a 70 year-old linguistics professor who is struck by lightning and after recovering finds he has been transformed physically back to half his age. In addition, he gradually discovers mental powers including an ability to learn new languages almost instantly. Throw into the mix a subplot about the Nazis trying to capture him for their own use, and a chance meeting with a doppelganger of a former love, and you have a film that is some kind of intimate epic. It bounces from country to country and covers a period of 40 years, but there's no big scenes of travelling or crowds, set pieces, or other things that you'd associate with such an ambitious project.

What Coppola is more interested in that this represents a metaphor for his own life: a director in his older age who has lot his creative nerve, and seizes upon a chance rebirth. It's true that this film seems more like something a film school student would produce, someone in love with the idea of making movies and willing to try anything, go down any rabbit hole. This film raises a lot more questions than it answers, but the benefit is that it allows you to ruminate on your own mortality, the unfulfilled dreams you may have, the regrets of things done or not done. And in that sense this film is very much a cousin of the work done by Wong Kar-Wai.

On the technical side Coppola is as gifted as he was in his prime, the number of breathtaking images too high to count. Supposedly the camera does not move in any of the shots in the film, but you'd never know it because of their quality. The whole film was shot in Romania (doubling at times for Switzerland, Italy, and India) with a local crew and it has a decidedly European flavor to it throughout. Tim Roth deserves credit for going along on this ride and making the character as believable as possible.

Well worth the 10 year wait, and I'll be even more excited about his next project. One of cinema's greatest talents is back.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #596
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
YOUTH
WITHOUT
YOUTH

(dir. The Maestro, Francis Ford Coppola)

I really don't understand the lukewarm critical reception to this film. When David Lynch puts a camera to his masturbatory fantasies, he's fawned over like a genius. And while I also thought Mulholland Dr., I don't understand how one can support that film and call Youth Without Youth pretentious, baffling, impenetrable, etc.

Plot-wise it's a very hard film to describe. Essentially it's about a 70 year-old linguistics professor who is struck by lightning and after recovering finds he has been transformed physically back to half his age. In addition, he gradually discovers mental powers including an ability to learn new languages almost instantly. Throw into the mix a subplot about the Nazis trying to capture him for their own use, and a chance meeting with a doppelganger of a former love, and you have a film that is some kind of intimate epic. It bounces from country to country and covers a period of 40 years, but there's no big scenes of travelling or crowds, set pieces, or other things that you'd associate with such an ambitious project.

What Coppola is more interested in that this represents a metaphor for his own life: a director in his older age who has lot his creative nerve, and seizes upon a chance rebirth. It's true that this film seems more like something a film school student would produce, someone in love with the idea of making movies and willing to try anything, go down any rabbit hole. This film raises a lot more questions than it answers, but the benefit is that it allows you to ruminate on your own mortality, the unfulfilled dreams you may have, the regrets of things done or not done. And in that sense this film is very much a cousin of the work done by Wong Kar-Wai.

On the technical side Coppola is as gifted as he was in his prime, the number of breathtaking images too high to count. Supposedly the camera does not move in any of the shots in the film, but you'd never know it because of their quality. The whole film was shot in Romania (doubling at times for Switzerland, Italy, and India) with a local crew and it has a decidedly European flavor to it throughout. Tim Roth deserves credit for going along on this ride and making the character as believable as possible.

Well worth the 10 year wait, and I'll be even more excited about his next project. One of cinema's greatest talents is back.
I'm seeing this and Diving Bell and the Butterfly tomorrow. Glad you liked the film, Laz.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:46 PM   #597
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:09 AM
Glad to hear you enjoyed YWY, laz, though I figured you would. Hopefully I will as well, unfortunately I won't get to see it now until it goes wide, and even then probably not until I'm back in D.C., so probably in the third week of January some time.

BUT, last night I purchased my tickets for There Will Be Blood this Wednesday.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #598
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:09 PM
Walk Hard

Anyone else seen this yet? I went in with pretty low expectations, but I wound up really enjoying it. John C. Reilly was fantastic, as he has been in everything I've ever seen him in not titled Talladega Nights, and the rest of the cast was great too. Tim Meadows, in particular, had some great lines. It was nice to see him actually be funny again.

There are a few jokes that aren't any good at all, but it was consistent enough to be enjoyable throughout. If you're a Dylanphile like myself, you'll particularly enjoy a certain sequence. The Beatles portion was really good too.

Anyhow, I liked it. I'd see it again.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #599
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
BUT, last night I purchased my tickets for There Will Be Blood this Wednesday.
Heh ... I hadn't seen you posting in a while and figured you were in a catatonic state, being so excited for TWBB.

One of the Entertainment Weekly film critics had TWBB as her top pick of the year. I may go see it as well.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #600
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by inmyplace13
Walk Hard

Anyone else seen this yet? I went in with pretty low expectations, but I wound up really enjoying it. John C. Reilly was fantastic, as he has been in everything I've ever seen him in not titled Talladega Nights, and the rest of the cast was great too. Tim Meadows, in particular, had some great lines. It was nice to see him actually be funny again.

There are a few jokes that aren't any good at all, but it was consistent enough to be enjoyable throughout. If you're a Dylanphile like myself, you'll particularly enjoy a certain sequence. The Beatles portion was really good too.

Anyhow, I liked it. I'd see it again.
I'd like to see that, too, but no one over 17 wants to see it with me. Shit is ridic.