Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #571
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:21 AM
Lobbest the holy hand grenade at thy foe.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:02 AM   #572
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

Its supposed to bait YOU into feeling more guilty than you already do.

Sinner.

You should feel guilty for not complimenting me on my Lance's Mom joke in the Random Movie Talk thread.

I need to know how well I'm doing in my pursuit of your Crucifix-Masturbation excellence.

See how I brought that back to Jesus.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #573
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:21 AM
I just saw "Control." I must be the only Joy Division/New Order fan here since there was not one other person in the theatre except me, lol, and though the film has been around all fall, it only just opened here.

Anyway, I thought it was really great. Beautifully filmed, and Sam Riley was fantastic, I thought. At first I had trouble with Samantha Morton playing a teenager but then I looked up the real Deborah Curtis and could certainly understand the casting choice. Riley just looks a lot younger than he is and pulled it off well.

I really didn't know much about Curtis' personal life but the film really took me back to that period and I found it really moving. I think I would like it even if I didn't know the band or the music. Great soundtrack, too, of course. I scrolled back some pages and couldn't find anyone else's review but I'd love to hear what others think.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #574
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I just saw "Control."
I liked it alot, too.

I don't think anyone knew that much about Curtis
especially in the U S.

anyways, in the last couple of months
I saw this, that Dylan mess of a film and the Joe Strummer film

of the three, this is by far the best one

I have seen some performers that had a similar stage presence / persona depicted by the actor in this film

and I can say that type of intensity
always makes for one hell of a live show
Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #575
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

anyways, in the last couple of months
I saw this, that Dylan mess of a film and the Joe Strummer film

I think the Joe Strummer movie is airing on Sundance now--I have to make sure I DVR it. Tomorrow I'm going to try to see that Kurt Cobain movie About a Son.

I was fascinated seeing the shy, quiet, humble Ian Curtis off stage and then his intensity onstage, and seeing him going to his day job even after he'd become well-known. Reminded me of an interview I saw with Bjork where she said she'd go on world tours and then go back home to Iceland and return to her job in a little store.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #576
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I was fascinated seeing the shy, quiet, humble Ian Curtis off stage and then his intensity onstage, and seeing him going to his day job even after he'd become well-known.
yeah
there is that point - where the music, the art is big
but the money is not

i think it has been a long time since Bjork has put in any time at the little store

being a big strummer fan

the film demystified him a bit for me
i think he hit his sweet spot early, then moved on

I credit Mick Jones for much of the Clash success
Old 12-20-2007, 03:40 PM   #577
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:21 AM
Once. 9/10.

Fabulous!

It took me a little while to get used to the documentary style of it - generally I'm not a big fan of this type of filming because it leaves me disoriented and I find that I have a hard time paying attention (then again I have attention span issues).

Fantastic soundtrack and really a lovely story. For me, Glen Hansard stole the film. His eyes are so expressive and there is just a very special warmth about him that translates very well on screen. Even though it was obviously a love story between the main characters (aptly Guy and Girl), I found that one of my favourite sequences was the old video he watched of his ex-girlfriend while he was composing a song. There was something very touching about the plainness of her.

The best thing to happen to this movie is that it wasn't a Hollywood film, or we certainly would have been robbed of one of the loveliest endings to a movie that I've seen in a long while. Just beautiful, in every way.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #578
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:21 PM
I R Legend.

Pretty good. I thought its subtle commentary on the destruction of Israel was brilliant.

I give it an 8.4
Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #579
The Male

Cinderella Man - 7.5/10

Not a bad flick at all. Unfortunately, it was far too formulaic for garner any praise from me (beyond that of the halfhearted variety). The acting was good, the main character was likable, and the final fight was well done. Other than that, blah.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 AM   #580
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Once. 9/10.

Fabulous!

It took me a little while to get used to the documentary style of it - generally I'm not a big fan of this type of filming because it leaves me disoriented and I find that I have a hard time paying attention (then again I have attention span issues).

Fantastic soundtrack and really a lovely story. For me, Glen Hansard stole the film. His eyes are so expressive and there is just a very special warmth about him that translates very well on screen. Even though it was obviously a love story between the main characters (aptly Guy and Girl), I found that one of my favourite sequences was the old video he watched of his ex-girlfriend while he was composing a song. There was something very touching about the plainness of her.

The best thing to happen to this movie is that it wasn't a Hollywood film, or we certainly would have been robbed of one of the loveliest endings to a movie that I've seen in a long while. Just beautiful, in every way.

My wife and I watched this movie tonight on your recommendation and we LOVED it!

13 out of 10. I rarely buy movies, but I'll buy this one. Simple but very elegant.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #581
Blue Crack Addict

The Kingdom. 4/10.

What a stupid movie. The worst part was the last scene, the "what did you whisper in ___'s ear?" one. I think they were trying to be deep but it came across as so naive and stupid that it made an already mediocre film just plain bad.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #582
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

My wife and I watched this movie tonight on your recommendation and we LOVED it!

13 out of 10. I rarely buy movies, but I'll buy this one. Simple but very elegant.
I'm so glad you liked it! I wish I'd seen it in the theatre.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #583
Blue Crack Supplier

Sweeney Todd (dir. Tim Burton)

I've been a vocal critic of Burton for a long time, feeling that his films are often triumphs of design more than anything deeper or very human. Aside from Batman Returns, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, and Ed Wood, I haven't been very impressed with the overall results.

Having not seen the Steven Sondheim musical on which this is based, I can't really say how successful the adaptation is, but I was involved and delighted throughought the entire film. Sondheim's score is really grand and sweeping and just gives the whole work a power that someone like (frequent Burton collaborator) Danny Elfman really isn't capable of. There are only a couple standout melodies, but like many "opera" type musicals this isn't so much about songs as it is dialogue sung over various pieces of music (as opposed to something like Grease or Chicago where every musical number is a clearly separated set piece). Depp isn't a very strong singer, but he delivers with conviction, and the same goes for Helena Bonham Carter and villain Alan Rickman. The three younger co-stars have much greater vocal prowess and overcome their slight characterizations. Depp seems cast perfectly but doesn't do anything I really haven't seen before, and you imagine Hugh Jackman would have made a very good stab at the character as he has much more stage and singing experience.

The film of course is beautifully designed, decorated, costumed, and photographed. Burton seems a perfect match for the monochromatic pallor of this shadier section of London, and many of his images feature great compositions that still awe even after seeing similar settings portrayed in From Hell, Oliver Twist, etc.

The ending was good but a bit abrupt, and the two young lovers in the film seem abandoned by the screenplay. Not as strong a conclusion as had been set up.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #584
Blue Crack Addict

Eastern Promises, 9/10.

I loved it. I've always liked Cronenberg's work so I wasn't really surprised. However, I hated A History of Violence so I had a few concerns going in.

Unlike a lot of women, I think Viggo is actually rather unattractive (nice body, though!). So the bathhouse scene wasn't the main reason I watched it. He was definitely a convincing Russian mobster, although I have to say I loved Armin Mueller-Stahl the best. He didn't really pull off being Russian so well (accent wasn't right and he just looks so German. But, he's an impeccable actor and few actors have such piercing, and yet expressive eyes. His eerie calmness and even warmth towards Anna, at least when they first met, was chilling.

Very good movie.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #585
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:21 PM
Wild Hogs:

Good comedy, had some funny moments. Some scenes where somewhat predictable
As a Tim Allen fan I was expecting more from him. I think the funniest part was John Travolta crying like a girl.

7/10

Die Hard 4

...I dunno what to say, a normal guy would've been killed in the first 15mins.
Outlandish scenes.
Good action flick for a night in though...

8/10