Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III - Page 37 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #541
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:14 AM
Did you see YLB's Mom?

Old 12-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #542
Blue Crack Supplier

I Am Legend (dir. Francis Lawrence)

Well, I enjoyed this. Wasn't planning on seeing it until I read some very positive reviews from some unlikely snobby sources. Will Smith does not ham it up in this film; it's a very somber affair for the most part. Great attention to detail in the people-less Manhattan, and also in the microcosm of Smith's "domestic" life as well. The suspense was very well done, though I do agree with many reviewers that the last half hour isn't as satisfying as the hour before it, as the film veers into somewhat generic zombie territory.

Much better than it should have been, and I'm impressed enough with Lawrence's work that I'm almost tempted to go back and watch Constantine, which I avoided when it came out. I said almost.

Last thing: even though the direction is not on par with Spielberg's eye for composition, I have to say that this film is much more successful overall than War of the Worlds, for one, this film is concerned more with the aftermath than the spectacle, and it doesn't wimp out in the final act, either.

It also doesn't have than lame-o, cliched Morgan Freeman narration.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #543
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:14 AM
I didn't love Atonement the book as much as some people (I found it obvious and a tad maudlin although it was couched in decent writing which tends to disguise these sorts of flaws until you sit down and think about it later).

I saw Rescue Dawn last night. 8/10. Some gorgeous scenery and I like character driven war films anyway. The use of whispering was very well done, and so was the contrast between the whispering of the POWs and the histrionic screaming of the guards.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #544
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
I Am Legend (dir. Francis Lawrence)

Well, I enjoyed this. Wasn't planning on seeing it until I read some very positive reviews from some unlikely snobby sources. Will Smith does not ham it up in this film; it's a very somber affair for the most part. Great attention to detail in the people-less Manhattan, and also in the microcosm of Smith's "domestic" life as well. The suspense was very well done, though I do agree with many reviewers that the last half hour isn't as satisfying as the hour before it, as the film veers into somewhat generic zombie territory.

Much better than it should have been, and I'm impressed enough with Lawrence's work that I'm almost tempted to go back and watch Constantine, which I avoided when it came out. I said almost.

Last thing: even though the direction is not on par with Spielberg's eye for composition, I have to say that this film is much more successful overall than War of the Worlds, for one, this film is concerned more with the aftermath than the spectacle, and it doesn't wimp out in the final act, either.

It also doesn't have than lame-o, cliched Morgan Freeman narration.
I agree completely.

The attention to detail was incredible; it really paid off to look around inside Smith's house and the first house he visits for more information about the virus/spread. Way more effective than pure exposition.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #545
Blue Crack Distributor

Just got back from my double feature of Juno and I Am Legend.

I really liked I Am Legend. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised by how good Will Smith was. I thought he did a very good job at carrying such a solitary movie by himself.

The only time I thought the movie dragged was ... well, I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it. I'll say the section that comes before the climactic bits.

Agreed that the attention to detail was really great. The creatures freaked me the hell out - less as the movie progressed, but the first time you see them? HOLY SHIT.

Juno was first on my double-bill, and I found it very clever (yes, some of the dialogue strikes you with that "oh, who talks like that" eye-roll, but it didn't bother me too much), and touching without becoming saccharine. The storyline with Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman helped it from hitting that too-sweet note.

The only thing I didn't like about Juno was the soundtrack. I'm so over the little indie films with the little indie soundtracks. And haven't we had enough indie flicks with quirky Kinks songs? Blech.

I think I'd give both films 7/10, maybe 8/10. I'm feeling very generous about the movies I see lately.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:49 PM   #546
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Same here with the ratings deal. I'd give IRLegend about a 7... 7.5 out of 10.

I'm chugging through Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas right now. What a huge disappointment.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #547
Blue Crack Supplier

Fear in Loathing is kind of a weird bag. Gilliam seems to be the perfect choice, Depp and Del Toro seem to be cast well, and it appears to be very faithful to the tone of the material. But...it's just not a very good movie.

Which I guess means that some books SHOULDN'T be adapted.

Also, at this point I'm thinking Will Smith has given one of the five best male lead perfs this year. Any takers?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #548
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
Did you see YLB's Mom?

Well, I did say this state sucks.

Pretty hard.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #549
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Fear in Loathing is kind of a weird bag. Gilliam seems to be the perfect choice, Depp and Del Toro seem to be cast well, and it appears to be very faithful to the tone of the material. But...it's just not a very good movie.

Which I guess means that some books SHOULDN'T be adapted.

Also, at this point I'm thinking Will Smith has given one of the five best male lead perfs this year. Any takers?
I have friends that are obsessed with this movie, and I really can't imagine why. They all like hallucinogenic drugs though... so question answered. Yeah, I don't see myself liking it any time soon.

From what I've seen so far, I'd say he's up there with the 3 guys from No Country, Cillian Murphy in Sunshine, McLovin', and the Crowe/Bale combo in Yuma.

Quote:

That would probably be faster than driving down it on a Saturday afternoon, which I just endured.

Who the fuck are these people and where are they going.

No offense folks, but I've been to Florida many times over the years, and even lived here for a month straight, and I feel confident in saying this state sucks.
Half of them are tourists and the other half are mentally retarded. Yeah, there aren't that many redeeming qualities about Florida, I kind of want to get out of here as soon as possible. Or just go to Tallahassee, which is almost like a completely different state in itself.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:50 PM   #550
Blue Crack Distributor

I was born in Leesburg, FL.

But I was only there until about my sixth month of babyhood, so I don't think any of you should hold it against me.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:38 PM   #551
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:

Well, I did say this state sucks.

Pretty hard.

You blabber on for 16 paragraphs about a dull french film that none of us will ever see, but you can only give us one complete sentence and a fragment about this important subject?

That's poor form, Laz. For shame.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:54 AM   #552
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

You blabber on for 16 paragraphs about a dull french film that none of us will ever see, but you can only give us one complete sentence and a fragment about this important subject?

That's poor form, Laz. For shame.

Did you ever see Madonna: Truth or Dare? Where she does that thing with the bottle?

That's about all I can say.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #553
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Half of them are tourists and the other half are mentally retarded. Yeah, there aren't that many redeeming qualities about Florida, I kind of want to get out of here as soon as possible. Or just go to Tallahassee, which is almost like a completely different state in itself.

We're actually scheduled to do the Tampa area next, and then Tallahassee. Aside from being a college town, is the latter supposed to be something great? I just figured there would be a bunch of dumb blonde girls from all over the South.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #554
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Brunettes, too.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #555
Blue Crack Supplier

I likes me the brunettes more.