Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting review laz. I've been meaning to get into a wider range of feature length anime for a while now and judging by your review this film and director look a good place to start. Besides Ghibli / Miyazaki I've only seen Akira, Ghost in the Shell and the Street Fighter series, so thanks for the pointer.

Have you seen the Ghost in the Shell sequel? It's not as fun as the original, but in terms of thematics and realization it makes Blade Runner look like a Sci-Fi Channel original movie.

I'm not exaggerating.

I'd also recommend Metropolis and Steamboy, both written by Katsuhiro Otomo, who worked on Akira.

There Will Be Blood

Wow. It was an unusual theatrical experience for me in that, like No Country for Old Men, I kept getting distracted by the landscape I know so well and by people in the background that I know, one person in particular a good friend, a woman, who always seemed to be hovering in the background. She said, by the way, that for two months of filming she never heard Daniel Day-Lewis' real voice, he never left character, only toned it down a bit in casual conversation. Anyway, I have no words for his performance. Just astonishing. Can't say I loved the film, but I loved the film-making, I loved the soundtrack, I loved Daniel Day-Lewis and the extraordinary Paul Dano, but something kept me from getting emotionally involved. There was so much going on, I haven't absorbed it all yet, and don't know what else to say right now.

lazarus said:
Have you seen the Ghost in the Shell sequel? It's not as fun as the original, but in terms of thematics and realization it makes Blade Runner look like a Sci-Fi Channel original movie.

I'm not exaggerating.

I'd also recommend Metropolis and Steamboy, both written by Katsuhiro Otomo, who worked on Akira.

Haven't seen Innocence yet, but I did read the reviews when it came out with the drastic departure in tone from the original being highlighted.

I'll look into all of those that you've mentioned. Lovefilm seem to carry most of them so I'm spoilt for choice.

-----------------------------

The Warrior King
Banal plot, shoddy script and amateur acting can't get in the way of some of the most spectacular martial arts films I've seen. Following on from the breakthrough success of Ong-Bak, Tony Jaa sets the western world firmly in his sights as his newest film sees him travel from Thailand to Sydney to rescue the elephants some naughty goons stole from him.

What really marks this film out from a lot of recent martial arts films (Crouching Tiger, Hero, etc) is the lack of wires and CGI in the fight scenes - they're all performed without any technical assistance (well, save for some blue screen during the helicopter finale). Tony Jaa combines the stunning acrobatics of Jackie Chan with the sheer force of Bruce Lee to audacious, bone-crunching effect. Also of note are the long takes scattered through the film, including a four minute sustained shot that follows Tony as he works his way up four circular floors of a restaurant, dispatching goons left, right and centre with brutal efficiency.

If you're in the mood for some amazing action without any pretensions, check this out. Just keep the fast forward button close by because everything in between the action really is shite.

This is England

Meh, it was alright. I'd heard such great things about it, and I wasn't very impressed at all. It's a look at the skinheads of England, who are quite different from neo-Nazis. They're more nationalists than anything else. The last 20 minutes are the best and most emotionally gripping of the movie.

On the bright side, the original score was absolutely gorgeous, and it matches up with the stock footage used from the early 1980s England perfectly.

onebloodonelife said:
This is England

Meh, it was alright. I'd heard such great things about it, and I wasn't very impressed at all. It's a look at the skinheads of England, who are quite different from neo-Nazis. They're more nationalists than anything else. The last 20 minutes are the best and most emotionally gripping of the movie.

On the bright side, the original score was absolutely gorgeous, and it matches up with the stock footage used from the early 1980s England perfectly.

I just saw this last night, too, and thought it was fantastic.

This Is England?

sparta-remix.jpg

:lol:

See it--for the kid and the score, as onebloodonelife pointed out, if nothing else. But I thought the whole film was phenomenal. I didn't know anything about it before I rented it, either--just saw it on some "best of" list.
lge_England_070816111940802_wideweb__300x300.jpg

This is England

joyfulgirl said:
:lol:

See it--for the kid and the score, as onebloodonelife pointed out, if nothing else. But I thought the whole film was phenomenal. I didn't know anything about it before I rented it, either--just saw it on some "best of" list.

I'd heard great things about it, but I don't know, I just ended up thinking it could have been better throughout the entire movie. I think I was expecting more of a neo-Nazi type movie, which IMO has been done the best by American History X and very well with The Believer. Though, without a doubt, it was an excellent movie to portray the reasoning behind the skinhead movement in England.

The kid is hilarious and does a nice job as well as joyfulgirl said.

I'd still recommend the movie; it just didn't quite live up to my expectations. :shrug:

Juno - 7/10

A good lil' movie that, just like Little Miss Sunshine, got blown ridiculously out of proportion (Best Director and Picture noms? come on), but I still enjoyed it. I wasn't sure if I would for the first twenty minutes or so: pop culture references and clever one-liners are all good and fine but when they're packed together so densely it just starts to feel exhausting and calculatingly hip and makes you crave for some damn plain talk. In the end though the film won me over mostly because of the great ensemble, and because it clearly cared about its characters and made me care in turn.

"The Namesake"

Good movie, however, I was disappointed that the storyline was different from how it was advertised. Trailers showed that the film was about a young Indian couple in an arranged marriage, come to the America, learn American ways and fall in love. While that is part of the movie, it was the subplot. The film is mostly about their son and how he accepts his given name. Because of that, I am only giving this movie a 7 out of 10. Nice storyline, good acting, but why not advertise what it is really about besides have the audience expect something else?

Watched two movies today:

Fast Food Nation

I thought it was a well done movie about the yuckiness of the fast food industry. One thing that got annoying though was all of the cameos by random stars, like Avril Lavigne.

6.5/10

Amélie

Interesting French film that I liked a lot. It's fairly quirky. I thought it was interesting and liked that there wasn't a lot of dialogue between the characters themselves, but the narrator told most of the story instead.

7.5 or 8/10

Blueberry (a.k.a Renegade) (Jan Kounen, 2004)

Wow. Uhh, I don't know what to say. I had read about this film before, as it had trouble getting a release in the United States; I'm actually not sure if it actually made it to the theatres here.

This is a mystical Western starring Vincent Cassel (!) and for a while I wasn't sure if he was dubbed or not. It's confusing because some French is spoken, and subtitled, yet Cassel is speaking English. At times I thought perhaps he had originally recorded his lines in French, and was then dubbing over them for the English version, as he speaks English well. Over the course of the film it appeared he wasn't dubbed. I don't know.

Anyway. this is somewhat related to The Missing in that it dabbles heavily in Native American folklore and visions. The similarities really end there as this isn't the kind of classic-style Western that Ron Howard made. It uses a lot of that Peter Jackson floaty steadicam that I'm not a huge fan of, but there's also some very striking and well-composed static shots as well. It's hard to sum up the plot, but essentially Cassel is a guy who after a traumatic experience, spends years recovering with a Native American tribe, and absorbs their culture and language. He then returns to frontier civilization and becomes a lawman, where at some point he's forced to deal with some figures from his past, as well as finding a way to balance the dual nature of white man and Indian inside him. That sounds kind of serious, but the film is a lot of fun, and also has some really trippy psychedelic vision quest type scenes that are rather jaw-dropping. It's based on a series of comics by French artist Moebius (who also did design work for Alien and The Fifth Element, incidentally), so if you know him it might give you an idea of what you're in for.

The cast alone should raise interest; in addition to Cassel you have:

Michael Madsen
Eddie Izzard
Juliette Lewis
Ernest Borgnine
Colm Meany (O'Brien from Star Trek: TNG)
Temuera Morrison (Jango Fett!)

I don't know about you, but that roster was enough for me to buy this sight unseen.

There Will Be Blood

I'm not really sure what to make of it, to be honest. The last section of the film was so WTF that it almost erased my enjoyment of everything leading up to it.

I mean, everything that happened made sense to me (other than the thing with the bowling pin, to be somewhat non-spoilery about it), but I don't know ... maybe too much time passed between the previous sections and then BAM! It's 1927 and so much has progressed with Daniel ... I don't know. It was so much WTF.

But everything up to that, I thought was very good. It was looooong (I found myself looking at my watch once or twice), and I have to admit that I didn't care for Mr. Radiohead's score all that much, but I was very interested in finding out what was going to happen.

This wasn't a movie I would have gone to see on plot/director alone. I mainly wanted to see it to see what all the fuss was about DDL's performance. And he was FANTASTIC - just give him the Oscar now. And I'm happy that I can say I've seen all the best picture nominees this year (can't remember the last year I saw all of them).

I think it needs to sit with me a while longer, but those are my thoughts now.

Edited to add: I'm pretty sure I didn't like the ending, but I have no frelling idea how else it could have ended.

Last edited:
^ I had a similar response except I LOVED Mr. Radiohead's music set against that sweeping landscape. But I had a lot of WTF moments and yes, give him the Oscar already.

I just saw Away From Her the other night. I had been avoiding it because my mother has Alzheimer's in a fairly early stage. It was even more devastating than I feared but fortunately reminded me nothing of my mother and her/our situation. One thing that played out so beautifully was what people who have been through it with a parent always tell me, which is that it's much easier on the one with Alzheimer's than it is on everyone else, which is a relief for her sake but still horrible for the rest of us. Julie Christie and the actor playing her husband were pitch perfect. I hadn't even realized the film was based on an Ann Munro story either, that's how much I'd been avoiding it. But I'm glad I saw it and hope my sisters will see it, too.

Come and See
This Russian film from the mid-80s depicts the Nazi occupation during World War 2. It’s not a barrelful of laughs. The story follows young Florya as he is first enlisted into the Soviet army and the events that follow as he tries to return home with an abandoned girl and what happens when he gets there. Most easily compared to Apocalypse Now, the film feels like a nightmare as things slowly turn worse before culminating in a horrific finale. Like Coppola’s film, the madness of war is also a theme that runs through the film. Whether or not it is portrayed as cyclical is open for debate; whilst the final scene suggests this the final shot itself throws in some foreboding that could only come with 20/20 hindsight.

Much has been wrote about the emotional climax of the film but I won’t ruin it here. Suffice to say that coming after a scene that feels like it was shot in Hell, it’s emotionally charged but manages to offer just the slightest glimmer of hope for humanity.

No Man’s Land
Another war film, this time from Bosnia and set during the war of 1993. Much more intimate in focus and even grimly funny at times, it’s much more a study of the different types of individuals that war affects than an account of various battles and such. The film focuses on three soldiers caught in an abandoned trench in the middle of No Man’s Land, two from one side and one from the other. One of the two also happens to be trapped lying on a landmine that will explode if he gets off it. Power and attitudes towards one another switch throughout the film and they eventually manage to have the UN informed of their dilemma, who sends in a rescue team to investigate. Media from around the world also convenes on the trench.

With the language jumping from Bosnian, English, French and German depending on the group of people talking, it helps to pull the viewer in rather than confusing them and allows the situation to take on a universal feel. Motivations and decisions from all the parties concerned are examined as events take their course and it eventually becomes apparent that this a story that relates to the Bosnian War as a whole, rather than just the plight of these three men. It won many major Best Foreign Film Awards in 2001 (even beating Amelie to the Oscar) and is well worth a look.

Bad Education
Right from the opening titles this is ‘Almodovar goes Hitchcock’. At first they reminded me of North By North West (never a bad thing) but by the end of the film the reference is surely Vertigo. Like the 50s classic this film revolves around identity, betrayal and features mirrored events. What Almodovar does more explicitly is blur the boundaries of fact and fiction, showing us both and then leaving us to unravel which imitated which.

Gael Garcia Bernal shows once again what a talented and fearless performer he is, here playing three characters both within the film and as a part of it. I’ve yet to see him reach his limits, even in the slightly disappointing Science of Sleep. It’s also something that the biggest complaint I had with Babel was that he was sorely underused, but I’m sure some people could point out plenty more issues they had with it. Anyway, while nowhere near as fabulous as Volver it does play with form and conventions as his previous Talk To Her did and for that I rank it above All About My Mother but below those two out of those I’ve seen so far.

The Road Home
I stuck a few of Zhang Yimou’s pre-Hero films onto my rental list after laz mentioned preference for them and as Raise the Red Lantern is currently available this one got shipped out to me.

Wow.

It’s been a many, many films since I was touched right to my emotional core like this did. A manly tear even slipped down my cheek at one point. It’s a slight story that has a predestined outcome due to present day bookends, but I still got so caught up in Zhang Ziyi’s magical (debut!) performance. With much of the courtship between her and husband-to-be played out in longing glances and youthful giddiness, she succeeds in bringing the audience into her thoughts and feelings in every scene. When she smiles we’re elated and when she cries it’s almost too much to bear. 2046 aside, I’ve only seen her in martial arts related roles, so it was refreshing to watch her play a much simpler character and focus on the emotion rather than the action.

Overall, a wonderful film about young love and the rush of emotions that overwhelm those experiencing it. From what I’ve heard Zhang Yimou produced even better films before this and I can’t wait to sink into them all.

Glad you liked Bad Education, MS. It didn't effect me as emotionally as the others, but cinematically I think it's the best I've seen from him.

I need to see more Zhang Yiimou myself. I really want to get a hold of Ju-Dou. Supposedly it was shot with one of the few remaining three-strip Technicolor cameras.

Sorry, allow me to correct that. Ju-Do was one of the last films to use the Technicolor dye-transfer process for the printing of the film (the last major American film to do so was The Godfather, Part II), but it was still shot on Eastman color like most other films.

From what I've heard though, you can still see the difference in the colors, which are supposedly much richer. Apparently a few other semi-recent films used the process, like Warren Beatty's Bulworth, Apocalypse Now Redux, Pearl Harbor, and the first Toy Story (strange that a cutting-edge company like Pixar used it).

Last edited:
I checked out his work on Wikipedia and a lot of it sounds pretty good, but for the time being a lot of it seems to be unavailable on my rental service. Be great if now that he's completed his wuxia trilogy he scales back again and produces something like his earlier films. Preferably in China / Hong Kong.

Hmm, can't really comment on the difference that technique makes to the final film but I'm sure someone like Zhang Yimou would make full use of a richer colour.

Last edited:
Well Tony Leung is involved so it's not all bad. And it's interesting Mr Woo is doing a period film for a change. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Yeah. I know Leung is great, I was just hoping for Chow to recover some of his lost credibility. Woo has some catching up to do as well, but I really liked Face/Off in all its OTT, trashy glory.

corianderstem said:
There Will Be Blood

I mainly wanted to see it to see what all the fuss was about DDL's performance. And he was FANTASTIC - just give him the Oscar now.
Absolutely.

DDL is amazing.

For me the score was part of the movie and it added to it. Surreal.

Movie; 8/10
DDL's performance; 10/10

Punch-Drunk Love

I'm surprised Sandler hasn't done more of these types of roles since, he was brilliant - the rest of the cast was solid, too. Loved the color composition and music throughout. It didn't grip me as much as Magnolia and Boogie Nights, but it wasn't supposed to. I enjoyed it and it makes me even more excited for There Will Be Blood.

8/10

Sicko

7/10

I ranted about it elsewhere and will not get myself all lathered up over it again. I liked it more than Fahrenheit 9/11, which I thought wasn't as good as Bowling For Columbine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom