Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok

so I can hit two films very soon

will I opt for

Orphans
and
Juno

or
Sweeney Todd
and
C Ws War?

art house
or
main stream?

anitram said:
Out of Sight is a fantastic movie and as an added bonus, a nice reminder of a time when JLo didn't make me gag.

LOL!

I liked her dream sequence, you know, the one with the bathtub :drool: :sexywink:

I liked Jennifer Lopez in Selena (which is one of those movies I have to stop and watch if I come across it on cable. :reject: ).

My brother just gave me 2 DVDs which I will try to watch over the next couple of days.

An Unreasonable Man and Sophie Scholl: The Final Days. Any recs/comments?

monkeyskin said:

Howl's Moving Castle
When I first saw this at the cinema two years ago (I was the only person in there - all the kids on holiday were watching Nanny McPhee for some reason) I left feeling that Miyazaki allowed himself to gently meander through the first half before realising that he still had all this damn plot to cram in. Watching it again with a full knowledge of the plot meant I didn't get as lost as last time, but the pacing is still wildly uneven. I love the languid nature of the first half as Miyazaki takes us through another wonderful world he's created, but when the shit hits the fan it feels like being rudely pulled into a 400m sprint midway through a relaxing stroll in the park. Other than that it's still hard to fault overall, the main criticism being that it borrows a little too much from his previous Ghibli films whilst not quite hitting their peaks. One to watch.

MS, did you ever get the chance to see Tales From Earthsea from Miyazaki's son Goro? It's still not available in the U.S. but I know the U.K. has it. The problem is that the Sci-Fi channel did a live action adaptation of LeGuin's novel a couple years ago (atrocious, from what I've heard), and the network still has the rights until 2009 or something, which is preventing Disney from releasing this in the U.S.

I managed to download a poorly subtitled version, and while I wouldn't say it compares to Hayao's best works, I thought it received a lot of unfair criticism. Considering it was Goro's first film, I thought it was very well done and much darker than his father's normal material. It had a very epic, Lord of the Rings type quality, though it would have been nice to see the other books adapted as well to flesh out the whole mythology. Ultimately, it still felt worthy of the Ghibli name.

I just purchased a copy on eBay and am hoping to watch it again soon with the English language dub (Timothy Dalton and Cheech Marin are the only noteworthy names, unfortunately), as I had a bit of a hard time following the story the first time around with the bad dialogue translation. Hopefully I can present a more thorough critique then.

The Brothers Solomon.

Heh. I knew it would probably be pretty bad, but Will Arnett makes me laugh just by standing there looking into the camera, and I think Will Forte is pretty funny, too.

The first half hour was fairly amusing, and then I lost complete interest. The opening credits made me laugh the most, which is pretty sad, but I guess not too surprising.

Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten

Really great. A bit frustrating not to have all the interviewees identified, and the credits rolled by too fast to read them, but somehow I think Strummer would have appreciated the artistic choice. I liked that the focus of the film wasn't just his years with The Clash but the whole of his life. A really great character study of a complex and fascinating man with a big heart who left us way too young but at least he was happy in his final years.

lazarus said:
MS, did you ever get the chance to see Tales From Earthsea from Miyazaki's son Goro? It's still not available in the U.S. but I know the U.K. has it. The problem is that the Sci-Fi channel did a live action adaptation of LeGuin's novel a couple years ago (atrocious, from what I've heard), and the network still has the rights until 2009 or something, which is preventing Disney from releasing this in the U.S.

I managed to download a poorly subtitled version, and while I wouldn't say it compares to Hayao's best works, I thought it received a lot of unfair criticism. Considering it was Goro's first film, I thought it was very well done and much darker than his father's normal material. It had a very epic, Lord of the Rings type quality, though it would have been nice to see the other books adapted as well to flesh out the whole mythology. Ultimately, it still felt worthy of the Ghibli name.

I just purchased a copy on eBay and am hoping to watch it again soon with the English language dub (Timothy Dalton and Cheech Marin are the only noteworthy names, unfortunately), as I had a bit of a hard time following the story the first time around with the bad dialogue translation. Hopefully I can present a more thorough critique then.

The one week it was screening at a nearby cinema was during weekday afternoons so I wasn't able to. I did follow it though because it's Ghibli and saw that a lot of reviews here gave it 3/5 with the general criticism being that the story is too muddled for one not familiar with the source material. I'll give it a rent some time and see what I think. It's a shame that Goro has all of this pressure to live up to his Dad's reputation right off the bat, in fact it's downright unreasonable.

Well it's better than Castle of Cagliostro, that's for sure.

Of course, Hayao followed that up with Nausicaa, which I think is one of his 2 best films, so he was a quick learner.

I really like Castle of Cagliostro :(

Completely different to anything Miyazaki did with Ghibli but as an entertaining adventure movie I think it more than delivers.

Have you heard much about Ponyo on a Cliff? It's Miyazaki Senior's next film (even though he claims each one since Princess Mononoke will be his last) and it's due out in Japan in June.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo_on_a_Cliff

Sweeny Todd
8/10

it was entertaining and managed to not be annoying with all the singing, I would definitely watch it again but I certainly didn't think it was the greatest film ever made, at all. I didn't really care for Johnny Depp's singing voice, but he was great nonetheless. The cast was all great, especially Alan Rickman ..even if his part wasn't that big. The gore wasn't as graphic as people have made it sound, the blood looks like squirting koolaid, and there's not like dismembering of bodies shown, just the slice across the neck which you always know it's coming.

I found the bodies falling through the trap door and thudding below to be more disturbing than the blood.

But I agree that the blood looked way too fake to be disturbing. Heck, the blood was the most colorful thing in the movie, which I'm sure was intentional.

I was reading discussions of the movie elsewhere, and apparently Burton cut a LOT of the dark humor that's in the original musical, and focused on the tragedy. I think it would have worked better for me if he'd left more of the black humor in.

Because hey - killing people and making them into pies? Funny. :wink:

An Unreasonable Man.

Solid documentary about the political life of Ralph Nader. About half or just more than half of the film is spent on his activism in the 50s, 60s and 70s, and the remainder deals with the 2000 and 2004 elections. It's an honest take and you really get a wide array of responses from people and a sense of who he is as a person. They interviewed some very compelling people, and I generally find that journalists give fantastic interviews so that's what made the film quite special.

I woke up this morning with a lot of the Sweeney Todd songs stuck in my head.

Good for the movie, bad for my sanity.

monkeyskin said:
I really like Castle of Cagliostro :(

Completely different to anything Miyazaki did with Ghibli but as an entertaining adventure movie I think it more than delivers.

Have you heard much about Ponyo on a Cliff? It's Miyazaki Senior's next film (even though he claims each one since Princess Mononoke will be his last) and it's due out in Japan in June.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo_on_a_Cliff

Cagliostro isn't bad, but it's not Ghibli, and lacks the weight and artistry of that studio's work. It is entertaining, I'll give you that.

I have read and seen work from Ponyo, and I'm just hoping it hits the Western world before the end of the year.

Have you ever seen non -Miyazaki, Ghibli production The Cat Returns? I really liked Whisper of the Heart and I know it has characters from that film.

Lancemc said:
I woke up this morning with a lot of the Sweeney Todd songs stuck in my head.

Good for the movie, bad for my sanity.

I'm curious, Lance, do you think there's any way the Academy awards Depp over DDL this year? Taking into account the unpleasantness of Plainview (while Todd is also a nutcase he's clearly more sympathetic), Depp's lack of an Oscar, DDL's obvious superiority over every living actor, the awards already won by DDL, and the outside chance that Clooney wins the dramatic Golden Globe over DDL (Depp is probably a shoo-in for Comedy/Musical).

Honestly, I wouldn't be too surprised, since I rarely agree with the Academy anyway. That's not to say I wouldn't be furious.

Let's just imagine DDL didn't deliver the absolute finest performance of his career this year, which is also the finest performance I've seen from any actor in recent memory...I still wouldn't think Depp deserved the award.

He was fine in the role, but if he didn't get recognized for his acting abilities before, I don't think this should be the one to do it (even though that not how I believe these award ceremonies should function, that's DEFINITELY how the Oscars work...it's like they judge the nominees based on their whole careers instead of the performances they're nominated for). I've seen Depp give better performances before.

And even still, should DDL not win, there are at least three other performances I hold in higher regard this year that have a change of being nominated. Mortensen, Pitt, and Hoffman all gave finer performances this year than Depp, so what the hell.

That said, I still think DDL and Depp are the two frontrunners as far as the Oscars are concerned, and I think Depp has a reasonable chance for all the reasons you mentioned.

Well, Hoffman just won and has no chance. Pitt and Mortensen's film weren't seen enough.

While I know that the Academy has often give career awards as "make-up Oscars", but let's look at a recent history:

Al Pacino wins Best Actor for Scent of a Woman, not even close to his best work, but believe it or not the film was also nommed for Picture, Director, and Screenplay. Next closest competitor, Denzel Washington in Malcolm X, a film that had a mixed reception and didn't get much Academy love (plus, Denzel already had a Supporting Actor Oscar).

Russell Crowe wins for Gladiator: Not even close to his best performance, but film also is nommed for many Oscar (and wins Best Picture). Next closest competitor is more complicated. Javier Bardem was critically lauded, but in a foreign language film--nuff said. Tom Hanks already had TWO Oscars in the bag (even though his work in CastAway was better than either of those winning perfs), and Ed Harris, long appreciated, was in a film that only was recognized for his role and Marcia Gay Harden's. Not hard to see why Crowe wins here.

in 2001, Denzel Washington wins for his minor work in Training Day, over a pretty towering Russell Crowe performance. Why? Because Crowe just won, and they're not going to give him the back to back treatment that Hanks got with Gump. Other competitors are Will Smith in Ali, a not very well-liked film, and an overdue Sean Penn playing retarded in the underperforming I Am Sam. Plus, Denzel plays against type and does a character different from all he has done before, which always impresses.

Now it's Penn's turn. in 2003 his histrionics in Mystic River get him a win over his superior work in 21 Grams, an overexposed Jude Law, a not-quite-important-enough Bill Murray, and the laughable Pirates nom for Depp. Mystic River itself is very respected and gets a shitload of noms, and probably came very close to beating Return of the King (note Eastwood's make-up sweep the next year with Million Dollar Baby).

You would think it's Depp's turn, right? The problem is that Sweeney is not going to get more than a few tech nominations (even Bonham Carter seems a longshot at this point), and the competition is FIERCE this time. It can easily be said that DDL is owed for losing his deserved Gangs of New York Oscar, and his first Oscar win was almost 20 years ago. Plus, DDL's film is likely to get some major Oscar attention (though a BP nom is hard to guarantee). It also hurts Depp that this character isn't very unique for him. It's not a far cry from Edward Scissorhands and Ichabod Crane, and the singing isn't a successful revelation on the level of Nicole Kidman singing in Moulin Rouge, or Catherine Zeta-Jones's hoofing in Chicago.

Also, it's difficult to say that Depp is held in the same regard as the other actors mentioned above. He's done a lot of crap, and it took a while for him to even be taken seriously. The Pirates sequels couldn't have helped his credibility, either.

Last edited:
You make a point point there. Maybe there will be justice this year for a change. Not because they'll recognize the actor that truly deserves the praise, but because all the other circumstances align as well?

God damn shame there's so much politics to these things.

WOAH, I just noticed the Golden Globes didn't even nominate Greenwood's original score for TWBB.

I don't care how they try to spin that one, that's just WRONG.

Lancemc said:
WOAH, I just noticed the Golden Globes didn't even nominate Greenwood's original score for TWBB.

I don't care how they try to spin that one, that's just WRONG.

I torrented that last night and have been listening to it non-stop. It's Greenwood's best work, that's for sure.

And I love Bodysong.

lazarus said:
Cagliostro isn't bad, but it's not Ghibli, and lacks the weight and artistry of that studio's work. It is entertaining, I'll give you that.

I have read and seen work from Ponyo, and I'm just hoping it hits the Western world before the end of the year.

Have you ever seen non -Miyazaki, Ghibli production The Cat Returns? I really liked Whisper of the Heart and I know it has characters from that film.

I haven't seen either of those yet, although I have Whisper of the Heart in a DVD boxset waiting to be viewed. The only non-Miyazaki Ghibli's I've seen are Pom Poko (bizarre) and Grave of the Fireflies (made me cry like a little girl).

-----------------------------

Also I'm not sure why you guys are rating Hoffman so highly for an Oscar nod this year. I didn't read one good review for Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium...

monkeyskin said:

Also I'm not sure why you guys are rating Hoffman so highly for an Oscar nod this year. I didn't read one good review for Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium...

Philip Seymour Hoffman, not Dustin.

And it's a little crazy to find out Dustin Hoffman was almost Deckard in Blade Runner.

I'm hoping that the Academy corrects that oversight. Unfortunately, the musicians branch can often be insular, even to regular film composers. Alexandre Desplat finally was nominated for his first Oscar last year (The Queen), despite turning in these previous scores:

The Painted Veil
Syriana
Birth
The Girl With A Pearl Earring

That being said, Prince and The Beatles won Oscars for their "scores" of Purple Rain and Let It Be, respectively. So you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom