Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #346
Refugee

Local Time: 10:43 PM
Reign Over Me
2.5 stars out of 5

Netflix writeup: "Consumed with grief after losing his family in the World Trade Center attacks, a widower (Adam Sandler) seeks help from his former college roommate (Don Cheadle), who's now a dentist. Mike Binder (The Upside of Anger) directs this thought-provoking look at friendship and post-Sept. 11 society in New York City, co-starring Liv Tyler, Saffron Burrows and Jada Pinkett Smith."

This was an unfortunately weak 9/11 movie with poor acting performances by the leads. Adam Sandler, I don't expect much out of, but I expect more from Cheadle. United 93 and World Trade Center made me feel very deeply. This movie barely made me feel at all. Liv Tyler did a nice job, though.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #347
Refugee

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Perfume (Tykwer, 2006)

I am slapping myself silly for not managing to see this in the theatre last year. To be fair, it didn't exactly enjoy a long or wide release. Regardless of the subject matter and esteemed source material, I would have gone to this just for Tom Tykwer's name in the credits--I've greatly enjoyed all his films since he popped onto the scene with the indie hit Run Lola Run. His Princess & the Warrior is one of my favorites of this decade, and I thought his direction of the late Krystof Kieslowski's screenplay for Heaven (featuring Cate Blanchett's most powerful performance) was better than anyone could have hoped for.

Tykwer seems to have found a way to film a story that for a long time was thought unfilmable. Because it centers so heavily on the sense of smell, some serious visual imagination was requried to get the lead character's gift across to the viewer, and Tykwer has it in spades. I could watch this film with the sound off and still be enraptured.

The acting was great, even if the main character by Ben Whishaw was mostly unsympathetic and pretty creepy. Dustin Hoffman, despite a fleeting Italian accent, does a great job as his mentor in the craft of perfumery.

It's a shame that this didn't reach a larger audience, and perhaps it's because fans of serial killer films weren't interested in something titled "Perfume", or period costume epics, or whatever. Clearly the film was mismarketed though, because I can't imagine the average person not having a powerful reaction to it, especially its climactic scene, which comes out of nowhere and yet was subtlely building towards the entire film.

I would probably have to revisit my Top 10 from last year, where I'm sure this would find a place in the bottom half.
Glad you enjoyed it, it's in my top ten of 2007 so far and it'll take something special to knock it out. I agree about the main character, which is a shame as this was a man who had survived two attempts on his life whilst just a baby and was pretty forced by fate into becoming a sociopathic monster. But at least he had passion!

I was lucky enough to see this at the cinema (thank God for my local university owned arts centre) and it's one of the grandest films I saw on the big screen this year. The use of colour and the set design bring the locations and smells boldly and vividly to life.

And yes it's a shame that it wasn't given much of a chance during it's cinema run. I doubt it would have been a big hit even if it had been more widely and better marketed, but it might have caught a few more people's attention at the very least.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #348
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:43 PM
*adds Perfume to netflix queue*

Sigh, another one to add to my absurdly long list.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:52 PM   #349
Blue Crack Addict

Just watched Wing of Desire.

Totally need to see it again before writing anything about it.

But as of now... ho-ly shit. That was something.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #350
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
*adds Perfume to netflix queue*

Sigh, another one to add to my absurdly long list.
And you should, because it is a good movie and strange
Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #351
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ben Whishaw is a very good actor
Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #352
Blue Crack Addict

I watched "Amazing Grace" early this morning while my daughter was fussing. It was surprisingly good.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #353
Rock n' Roll Doggie

you have to watch perfume story of a murderer
Old 11-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #354
Blue Crack Addict

The best scene in No Country for Old Men is

SPOILERS ~~~~~

after Chigur kills Woody Harelson's character he reaches over and picks up the phone, but before he answers it he turns his chair slightly away from the corpse.

That's what an oscar is made of ...
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #355
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:43 AM
I'm at the point in my Netflix queue where there's nothing I'm dying to see, so I'm going through movies I wanted to see at one point for some reason, and now I have excuse not to watch them.

Spanglish

You know, this movie was a lot better than I was expecting. I was expecting to hate it, and I did not. I rather liked it, in fact.

And now I have, thanks to Netflix, I Know Who Killed Me.

I got it for the lulz.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #356
Blue Crack Addict

There was a point near the very end of Spanglish when Cruz' character starts lecturing her daughter about maintaining the purity of her culture or something, at which time I remembered the movie was a cultural drama before it became a romance. I guess the writer realized at the last second he had ended up writing a love story, slapped himself on the head, and tried to tie it all together again at the last second.

Either that or the studio forced the love story to be a bigger part of the film than was originally intended (more likely, I know). Either way, I still enjoyed that movie more than I thought I would, despite the sloppy script.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #357
Rock n' Roll Doggie

you should watch Hannibal Rising and Perfume, story of a murderer watch it and then tell me
Old 11-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #358
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
BIG SPOILER
I loved that, and when he lifted his legs to avoid the blood. It foreshadows what happens to that other character after Chigurgh leaves their house.

It's his Best Supporting Actor Oscar to lose at this point really.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #359
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by *browneyedgirl*
you should watch Hannibal Rising and Perfume, story of a murderer watch it and then tell me
You should... stop saying that.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #360
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't think I will ever stop saying that