Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM   #331
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I'm going back and forth and back and forth about either seeing I'm Not There or No Country For Old Men today ... which probably means I'll stay in and see neither.

I would say go with I'm Not There, not just because it's my favorite film of the year so far, but because there's no telling how long it's going to stick around in theatres. No Country will be around well into next year, especially with all the nominations and awards that surely will be coming its way...

Old 11-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #332
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I'm going back and forth and back and forth about either seeing I'm Not There or No Country For Old Men today ... which probably means I'll stay in and see neither.
I saw them both yesterday

and

No Country

is one of the best films of the year!

and

I'm Not There

is an absolutely terrible film

it is the worst thing I sat through all year!

Cate Blachard does terrific acting, but that alone dose not save this film.

Also, I love Charlotte Gainsbourg - the women were the best thing in the film.

The A-list actors did very good work, too.

But the concept? execution, and whole purpose of this film is just plain crap.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #333
Blue Crack Distributor

Interesting! That's the first negative I've heard of the movie. I may wait for DVD on that one, just because I don't feel it will lose anything in translation to the small screen.

I'll definitely be seeing No Country in the next few weeks

But yeah, got lazy and didn't venture out to the flicks today. As you can see from my new sig line, I have a new project to undertake.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:32 PM   #334
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I'm Not There

is an absolutely terrible film

it is the worst thing I sat through all year!

But the concept? execution, and whole purpose of this film is just plain crap.
To not like the film--the "execution"-- is one thing, and I admit it's not for everyone, but if you think the concept and purpose of the film is crap, then you obviously don't know very much about Dylan, or why his life demanded such a novel approach to the biopic. This film is a tribute to his whole convention-challenging career, and to the various public personas he's inhabited over the years.

Your loss.

And coriander, EVERY good film loses something on the way to the small screen. If it's a comedy or one of those play-type films like Tape or Death and the Maiden, I'd say you're not at much of a disadvantage. But a film with visuals this powerful deserves the biggest screen you can see it on. You're a lot less likely to get absorbed into something, especially when it requires a mental commitment on the part of the viewer, if it's on a little screen in your house with all your distractions and comforts around.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 PM   #335
Blue Crack Supplier

Lust, Caution (dir. Ang Lee)

I have to say I was a tad disappointed in this one, mostly for the ending. I was having a hard time understand the motivation of the main character, and I'm not just talking about her major climactic decision, but a few that she made afterwards. On the technical side, the film was beautifully shot, designed, and scored, and the acting by newcomer Wei Tang was both brave and delicate at the same time. Tony Leung continues to reveal the full range of his capabilities.

The other thing affecting my opinion was how similar this film was to Paul Verhoeven's Black Book, which came out earlier this year. Both films feature women spying on behalf of a resistance as they become mistresses of powerful men in the enemy's government, but I felt the the themes in Verhoeven's film were much more complex, the moral questions more challenging, and overall more engaging as well. I'm a huge fan of Ang Lee's, so it's difficult for me to write those words.

I do appreciate Lee's exploration of sexuality and power, and applaud his decision to pull no punches, gladly accepting the NC-17 rating from the prudish Motion Picture Association of America, but ultimately I can't see myself wanting to watch this again anytime soon, whereas I'd love to disappear back into the world of Black Book.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #336
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:04 PM
I haven't seen Black Book, but I started hearing about it as soon as Lust, Caution came out, and I think my complete unawareness of that particular film probably benefit my own experience.

It's definitely something I want to check out though.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
Lust, Caution (dir. Ang Lee)

I have to say I was a tad disappointed in this one, mostly for the ending.

I agree

I was trying to figure out why the more graphic sex scenes

I think the point was to explain the bonding / attachment the young girl had for the Tony Leung character.
That she developed genuine feelings for him that had dire consequences.

and I also agree that Zwartboek is a better film.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:21 PM   #338
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

To not like the film--the "execution"-- is one thing, and I admit it's not for everyone, but if you think the concept and purpose of the film is crap, then you obviously don't know very much about Dylan, or why his life demanded such a novel approach to the biopic. This film is a tribute to his whole convention-challenging career, and to the various public personas he's inhabited over the years.

Your loss.

I am 52, I have seen Dylan a few times, I know people that know him.

But I can't say for sure how much any of us know about him.

I am a pretty big fan.

Dylan is more about his art.

Than about the man himself.

If one wants to learn a little about him they might start with "Don't Look Back".

Cate Blanchard did a pretty good job capturing that era, those events and look. That is why she is the first name mentioned when this film comes up.

Richard Geer, great actor, I am always a fan. That part of this film was pointless.

The bad parts of this movie were bloated, pompous, Saturday Night Live parodies.

I think this film may be a joke on the sycophants that Dylan loathes.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #339
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:04 PM
But David Cross is Allen Ginsburg. Maybe some of the best casting for a cameo, ever, unless it was Ricardo Montalban.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:56 PM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Wei Tang

Let's not let a name this good slip by unnoticed.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #341
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I haven't seen Black Book, but I started hearing about it as soon as Lust, Caution came out, and I think my complete unawareness of that particular film probably benefit my own experience.
Zwartboek [Black Book] is nearly a great film. I don't want to ruin your expectations but I was simply disappointed with certain parts of it.

Can't compare it to Lust, Caution just yet, though.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:06 AM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by got_edge

Zwartboek [Black Book] is nearly a great film. I don't want to ruin your expectations but I was simply disappointed with certain parts of it. =

Old 11-26-2007, 12:14 AM   #343
Refugee

Little Black Book is something like a 10/10 in my book.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #344
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

I am 52, I have seen Dylan a few times, I know people that know him.

But I can't say for sure how much any of us know about him.

I am a pretty big fan.

Dylan is more about his art.

Than about the man himself.

If one wants to learn a little about him they might start with "Don't Look Back".

Cate Blanchard did a pretty good job capturing that era, those events and look. That is why she is the first name mentioned when this film comes up.

Richard Geer, great actor, I am always a fan. That part of this film was pointless.

The bad parts of this movie were bloated, pompous, Saturday Night Live parodies.

I think this film may be a joke on the sycophants that Dylan loathes.

Don't Look Back doesn't reveal any more of the "real" Dylan than this film, because the man puts up too many walls and mirrors to be known in that way. What this film is trying to portray are the many myths and personas that Dylan has left in his wake, and that's likely far more interesting than whatever everyday man is behind those masks. The writer/director Todd Haynes never set out to make a film about "the man", and this is clear from the handful of recent interviews I've read with him I suggest you check out some of them because I think you're coming at this from a totally wrong preconception. Here is an article about the making of the film that may not change your mind about its quality, but at least prevent you from miscategorizing it. A very good read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/ma.../07Haynes.html

Also, I really don't understand your suggestion of SNL parodies, either. What the hell does that even mean? Bloated? Pompous? These are criticisms that Dylan himself has received for his own work, so doesn't a film that tries to encompass his career need to have a certain amount of pretension?

I urge people to see this for themselves and make up their own minds. The critics have been divided about it as well, but the people who love and respect it seem to do so very much.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #345
Blue Crack Supplier

Adventures of Don Juan (Sherman, 1949)

Picked up a laserdisc copy of this for a few dollars, and what a rousing piece of entertainment this was. Errol Flynn was close to the tail-end of his career with this one, and while he doesn't look quite as thin as he did in The Adventures of Robin Hood over 10 years earlier, he's still as dashing and charismatic as ever. This film also reunites him with Alan Hale, who played Robin Hood's sidekick Little John. While the female lead Viveca Lindfors isn't as strong as Robin Hood's Olivia DeHavilland, I found the ribald humor in Don Juan to be a bit more sophisticated and accomplished. It's perhaps a little lighter and less acrobatic in the action department, but the fighting scenes were all exciting and well-choreographed.

Again, it's hard to stack this up against a true classic of the action/adventure genre, but I think this really holds its own and deserves to be seen by anyone who enjoyed Flynn's earlier film escapades.

Perfume (Tykwer, 2006)

I am slapping myself silly for not managing to see this in the theatre last year. To be fair, it didn't exactly enjoy a long or wide release. Regardless of the subject matter and esteemed source material, I would have gone to this just for Tom Tykwer's name in the credits--I've greatly enjoyed all his films since he popped onto the scene with the indie hit Run Lola Run. His Princess & the Warrior is one of my favorites of this decade, and I thought his direction of the late Krystof Kieslowski's screenplay for Heaven (featuring Cate Blanchett's most powerful performance) was better than anyone could have hoped for.

Tykwer seems to have found a way to film a story that for a long time was thought unfilmable. Because it centers so heavily on the sense of smell, some serious visual imagination was requried to get the lead character's gift across to the viewer, and Tykwer has it in spades. I could watch this film with the sound off and still be enraptured.

The acting was great, even if the main character by Ben Whishaw was mostly unsympathetic and pretty creepy. Dustin Hoffman, despite a fleeting Italian accent, does a great job as his mentor in the craft of perfumery.

It's a shame that this didn't reach a larger audience, and perhaps it's because fans of serial killer films weren't interested in something titled "Perfume", or period costume epics, or whatever. Clearly the film was mismarketed though, because I can't imagine the average person not having a powerful reaction to it, especially its climactic scene, which comes out of nowhere and yet was subtlely building towards the entire film.

I would probably have to revisit my Top 10 from last year, where I'm sure this would find a place in the bottom half.