Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Country for Old Men.

I didn't like it nearly as much as everyone else. The acting was great and all, but I got kinda bored and fidgety. :reject: Maybe I'm just seeing too many movies during my break.

However, I was interested in seeing it because it was filmed here in New Mexico and around Marfa, Texas, two places I know so well. In fact the first guy that got pulled out of the car and shot ("Man in Ford") is someone I recognized from Marfa.

And I had seen Tommy Lee Jones in Whole Foods and Javier Bardem (wearing a Bruce Springsteen t-shirt) in Starbucks with that hilarious haircut while they were filming here. At the time I could not imagine what he was doing that would require that hairdo. And I still don't know.

Many great things to say about it from a film-making standpoint. Maybe just wasn't my thing. :shrug:

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
No Country for Old Men.

Many great things to say about it from a film-making standpoint. Maybe just wasn't my thing. :shrug:

I actually feel exactly the same way as you.

One question for you since you're from that area - did motels back in 1980 have central A/C built in like that? I found it weird because anytime I'd go down to the south of the US and stayed overnight in a motel, I remember those clunker A/C units, almost always under the window. The whole duct thing struck me as strange. :shrug:

deep said:

the tracking shot is impressive
they introduce a couple of characters with the miscast lead (he was really good in Last king of Scotland) but never works in this film

I did enjoy Vanessa Redgrave, she is a living legend
and her screen time is a joy to watch

Really? I didn't read the book so I can't comment on the casting choice but I thought McElvoy was the best thing about Atonement. Maybe it's just because I find him to be incredibly hot. But I thought he was really great.

Vanessa Redgrave was the other great thing.

And I liked the war segment.

Kiera Knightly annoys me but less in this movie than other things.

All in all, I guess it was what I expected it to be--a big, entertaining but quickly forgettable Hollywood film.

anitram said:

I actually feel exactly the same way as you.

One question for you since you're from that area - did motels back in 1980 have central A/C built in like that? I found it weird because anytime I'd go down to the south of the US and stayed overnight in a motel, I remember those clunker A/C units, almost always under the window. The whole duct thing struck me as strange. :shrug:

I'm actually not from this area but have lived here for 10 years. I bet most cheap motels in the Southwest still have the clunkers under the windows since I've stayed in many medium range motels in recent years that still have the clunkers. Good eye, anitram.

Juno (dir. Jason Reitman)

MEH. This has got to be the most overrated film of the year. It's not bad, but I can't believe all the accolades stripper-turned-writer Diablo Cody is getting for her screenplay. The characters speak these witticisms that are so forced and unnatural (unless you know 16 year-olds that say shit like "Honest to blog?"), it makes Gilmore Girls look like a documentary.

Luckily, the lines are delivered by some very good actors, most notably Ellen Page in the title role. The only reason this film works at all, and still manages to be moderately moving, is because of Page and her castmates, as well as Jason Reitman's ability to pull some truth out of the flimsy screenplay. When Cody tones it down, there are some great human moments, but it took me a while to stop rolling my eyes at the whole thing.

The other thing that bothered me is the oh-so-precious indie rock soundtrack that made me want to gag. It's funny because two of the main characters talk about their love for music and different bands, but it's all classic rock or old school alternative, none of the lightweight crap that keeps getting played over the images.

This isn't half as funny or intelligent as Knocked Up, or as cathartic and looney as Little Miss Sunshine, or as artistically imagined and seminal as Ghost World.

Please, gods of cinema, do not let Diablo Cody win an Oscar for this over-inflated trifle. Give it to Ellen Page instead.

My friend is really excited to see Juno, so I'll be seeing it with him as soon as it comes out around here, but my expectations are only moderate.

I'm much more looking forward to The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The Savages, Persepolis, and Youth Without Youth, but hopefully I'll get to see them all before too long.

Lancemc said:
My friend is really excited to see Juno, so I'll be seeing it with him as soon as it comes out around here, but my expectations are only moderate.

I'm much more looking forward to The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, The Savages, Persepolis, and Youth Without Youth, but hopefully I'll get to see them all before too long.

I'm going to try to see Persepolis before I leave town, as I'm not convinced that it will ever make it to Central Florida (not that Youth Without Youth or Diving Bell will).

lazarus said:

I'm going to try to see Persepolis before I leave town, as I'm not convinced that it will ever make it to Central Florida (not that Youth Without Youth or Diving Bell will).

Cool indie theater in Winter Park:

http://enzian.org/

They're showing Blade Runner right now and Persepolis in February I believe.

I saw Juno today and really enjoyed it, but the indietastic soundtrack got to me a bit. The one track during the delivery scene/montage was great, but the rest was the oh-so-cute stuff you guys said earlier. My friends enjoyed it, too, so that was good.

Eyes Wide Shut - 10/10

After first viewing, at least my second favorite Kubrick. I'm really not too sure what to say exactly about the film's thematic or narrative content, because I'm still sorting it all out and I'm sure it will require a second viewing before I get anything close to a firm grasp. First and foremost I'll have to sort out exactly what I make of the dreamscape of the film, and how much I interpret as reality and how much as fantasy.

Much of this is due to the astronomically dazzling technical and artistic design of the film. The production design is immaculate, the costuming was exquisite, and the lighting and cinematography were up to and often exceeding the high standard Kubrick had previously set for the medium. The lighting is very much in marriage with what I absorbed from the themes, motifs, and specific characters of the film. And combined with some of the finest camera work, especially some of the most expressive and dazzling steadicam work I've ever seen, Eyes Wide Shut firmly plants itself among the most stunningly gorgeous films I've had the pleasure of watching.

Aside from that, Tom Cruise is ever-enjoyable to watch, and Nicole Kidman was surprisingly fantastic here. The supporting cast is completely fascinating and keeps pace with the leads. The soundtrack and score matches the level of inspiration and impression all his past works have achieved.

Honestly, I can't think of a single thing I didn't love about this thing, though I'm hardly certain as to much of the intent behind some of the artistic decisions, specifically the narrative.

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Well done, Lance. Kidman should have been at least nominated for an Oscar for those two captivating monologues, and that's just for starters.

I don't know who was responsible for the photography here (the only official credit that comes close is "Lighting Cameraman" Larry Smith), maybe it was Kubrick, but it was breathtaking.

This is one that people will be studying and appreciating for many years to come, despite the original lukewarm reception. But hey, at least Martin Scorsese thinks it's one of the Top 3 films of the 1990's.

So many things and layers going on here it takes many viewings to scratch the surface. One theory I heard is that each woman Cruise comes into contact with during his extended fantasy (if you've viewing it that way) is a representation of one aspect of his wife. Something to consider next time you watch it.

You forgot to mention the brilliant final line of the film.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the majority of the film being more of a fantasy (though who knows what I'll feel tomorrow let alone after another viewing). Specifically because of the rainbow motif, introduced by the line from the two models during the party (Bill arrives "at the end of the rainbow" just before he's asked to go up and help Victor with the hooker), visited again most blatantly with the costume shop, and carried out by the lighting throughout the film and the trail of colored Christmas lights that Bill follows throughout his journey.

And that really is a stunning final line, although it's impact has probably been a bit lessened on me having just seen TWBB last night, a film which elevates the art of killer final lines to an entirely new level, the likes of which I wouldn't dare spoil for you.

;)

Beowulf. It has Anthony Hopkins and Angelina Jolie. Set in Demark, this is a movie based on a medieval myth. I don't know the rating. It has a monster in it. I couldn't stand to look at the monster. It had a King and Queen in it.

I am going to see Juno tonight. I fear it will be too cutesy for me, but we will see.

Le scaphandre et le papillon [The Diving Bell and the Butterfly] was simply amazing. Everything from the screenplay to the cinematography was gripping and puts you in the head (literally) of Jean-Do, the once editor-in-chief of Elle magazine who was afflicted with locked-in syndrome after suffering a massive stroke. I'm definitely picking up his book to supplement the experience. 9.5/10

Charlie Wilson's War was a truly entertaining experience! In a brilliant turn from what could have been a serious political drama, Tom Hanks and Phillip Seymour Hoffman shine as the Texan Congressman and the smart(-ass) CIA operative, Gust Avrakotos, respectively. Amazing job, especially by PSH. I'm pumped for The Savages now :hyper: 8/10

I just got back from seeing The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

What an fantastic film. Instead of getting a movie that could have been your typical sentimental story about someone handicapped......this film manages to capture the bleakness, the hope and the savage humor Jean-Dominique Bauby felt or conveyed, via his memoirs.

You spend most of the first hour seeing things from Beauby's point of view, through his eyes....this, to me, was amazingly well done. You also hear Beauby's internal monologue as those around him address him. Again, well done and well delivered. By the time you've grown accustomed to Beauby and his situation, he is then shown as he is...paralyzed, but for his left eye.

The film is also strewn with powerful imagery, from either Beauby's memories, or from his imagination.

Anytime I see a film that makes me laugh and cry without my feeling manipulated, I come away impressed. I'm so very glad that I saw this.

I'm interested in seeing Charlie Wilson's War if only because Hoffman has had such a magnificent year already with Before The Devil Knows You're Dead and The Savages, which I also haven't seen yet.

And these raving Diving Bell reviews only make my anticipation for that rise to even more insane levels.

But anyway, continuing to round out my 2007 leftovers:

The Kingdom - 7.5/10

This was a more successful film than I imagined it would be. Much less of an action film than the trailers indicated (the last TV spot I saw consisted entirely of footage from the last 20 minutes of the film when the action kicks in), I was pleased with the investigative segments and the genuine characterizations, specifically of the Saudi Colonel that assisted Foxx's squad. That said, it's still not quite a great film, suffering from some pedestrian direction and creative decisions, and a fairly average score from Danny Elfman and performances from much of the cast.

Once - 9.5/10

Now here's a film that I've heard ridiculous hype for throughout the majority of the year. I can't say I was disappointed. This is truly magical independent filmmaking in the spirit of classical storytelling, while skewing the musical genre all in the same arc. It's simple filmmaking, but it's careful, whose only real ambition is to tell the loveliest story of the year and introduce the world to some talented musicians.

I whole-heartedly recommend this one to anyone here. Just lovely.

Once is one of those films that I feel I need to see more than I want to see. They usually hover at the bottom of my list while newer, exciting films by established directors keep jumping ahead of it.

Probably a rental, unless I find myself a woman before it leaves the theatres.

How silly of me! I do have a date, right here in Los Angeles:

scruffycompava.jpg
zooey032107.jpg

Lancemc said:
I'm interested in seeing Charlie Wilson's War if only because Hoffman has had such a magnificent year already with Before The Devil Knows You're Dead and The Savages, which I also haven't seen yet.

PSH in Before The Devil... :drool: :drool: :drool:

lazarus said:
Once is one of those films that I feel I need to see more than I want to see. They usually hover at the bottom of my list while newer, exciting films by established directors keep jumping ahead of it.

Probably a rental, unless I find myself a woman before it leaves the theatres.

That's always what I felt until I couldn't rent Eastern Promises last night, so I picked up Once instead.

It's worth it. It's just one of those inherently likable stories with genuinely passionate music. You'll probably be surprised with how much you like it, as I did.

The Blade Runner Final Cut is even more amazing than the Director's Cut, if that was possible. I don't know what else to say about it that's already been said, but it's one of my favorite films and probably one of the best films of the past 25 years.

Deckard is most definitely a Replicant though.

Holy sheet. There Will Be Blood sneak previews tomorrow at midnight. What a wonderful birthday present :bonodrum: :bonodrum:

Don't miss your chance for an exclusive sneak preview screening of Paul Thomas Anderson's THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

These SNEAK PREVIEW SCREENINGS will be held: MIDNIGHT, DECEMBER 29th, 2007

Boston, MA AMC Boston Commons
Buy tickets: http://www.fandango.com/amcloewsbostoncommon19_aapnv/theaterpage?date=12/29/2007

Miami, FL Regal South Beach
Buy tickets: http://www.fandango.com/regalsouthbeachcinema18_aanhe/theaterpage?date=12/29/2007

Seattle, WA Neptune
Buy tickets: http://www.movietickets.com/asp_error.asp?e=NoHouseDetail&p=house_detail.asp&h=0&eH=1

Sacramento, CA Tower
Buy tickets: http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=3559&rdate=12/29/2007

San Diego, CA AMC Mission Valley
Buy tickets: https://www.movietickets.com/purchase.asp?perf_id=505764806

Denver, CO Mayan
Buy tickets: http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=2972&rdate=12/29/2007

Washington, DC AMC Georgetown
Buy tickets: http://www.fandango.com/amcloewsgeorgetown14_aaqpv/theaterpage?date=12/29/2007

Chicago, IL AMC River East
Buy tickets: https://www.movietickets.com/pre_purchase.asp?house_id=8267&movie_id=59906&showdate=0&err=3c

Minneapolis, MN Lagoon
Buy tickets: http://www.movietickets.com/asp_error.asp?e=NoHouseDetail&p=house_detail.asp&h=0&eH=1

Toronto, ON Varsity (at 10:30)
Buy tickets: http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=6492&rdate=12/29/2007

Philadelphia, PA Ritz East or Ritz 5
Buy tickets: http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=10418&rdate=12/29/2007

Portland, OR Cinema 21
Buy tickets: http://www.fandango.com/cinema21_aahho/theaterpage?date=12/29/2007

Austin, TX Ritz Draft House
Buy tickets: http://www.fandango.com/alamodrafthouseattheritz_aauqp/theaterpage?date=12/29/2007

Dallas, TX Angelika Film Center
Buy tickets: http://www.movietickets.com/house_detail.asp?house_id=7915&rdate=12/29/2007

No prob. It wasn't anything important, just a Merry Christmas greeting, but you're welcome. :up:

Yeah, my mom doesn't want to drive the minivan to see TWBB, so I'm trying to work out a thing where we just go to two separate movies or something. I don't mind watching it by myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom