Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only recently read the book and am very excited to see it. I haven't heard if it's true to the book or not, and I'm skipping reviews to avoid being spoiled about if they changed it. But I do love a grand, sweeping period piece. (Yes, I loved The English Patient.)

Tomorrow I might take myself to a double-feature of No Country For Old Men and Atonement, as both are playing at the same theater downtown.

My ass will be sore after 4 hours, but that's okay. :wink:

My best friend and I decided to extend our December 26th NYC day trip to include showing of both Youth Without Youth and There Will Be Blood. :drool:

That's going to be a glorious day.

And I haven't seen The English Patient, but I do know that Atonement is my 4th best of the year, rivaling Jesse James for the 3rd spot.

Bloody UK cinemas mean that I have to wait until next year to see some of these top year end films (Jesse James, I'm Not There, There Will Be Blood, Youth Without Youth, Lust, Caution, Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, No Country For Old Men). Which is really annoying as some have been released, just not anywhere near me :(

Golden Compass came out though!

Lancemc said:
My best friend and I decided to extend our December 26th NYC day trip to include showing of both Youth Without Youth and There Will Be Blood. :drool:

And I haven't seen The English Patient, but I do know that Atonement is my 4th best of the year, rivaling Jesse James for the 3rd spot.

I'm jealous of your cine-trip, though I will be in Los Angeles so I should be able to catch both as well. Duelling reviews, perhaps?

Also, you need to get a hold of The English Patient ASAP. I don't know what kind of hype you've heard about it, or if you've read the novel, but it is probably the best example of book-to-film adaptation I've ever seen. Minghella's skill as a director is just as good, and I don't feel I'm exaggerating when I say this is probably one of the 5 best Best Picture winners of all time. I was a huge fan of Fargo, and a bit saddened the night TEP won, but after a couple of viewings I realized the Academy miraculously made the correct choice. It's the perfect blend of poetic independent spirit and the majestic craftsmanship of Golden Age Hollywood.

I'd also suggest listening to one of the commentaries afterwards (especially the one with Minghella, legendary producer Saul Zaentz, and author of the novel Michael Ondaatje). Minghella always does such a great job of illuminating the viewer on every aspect of the production in his audio tracks.

Serpico

Excellent moral story and gritty cop movie. If I could talk or grow facial hair like Pacino, then I would win at life.

9/10

Blazing Saddles

I liked it a hell of a lot more the 2nd time I saw it; maybe I wasn't in the right mood the first time, but it's a classic. It's hard to imagine Mel Brooks making two of the funniest movies ever made in one year (the other being the slightly superior Young Frankenstein).

Another 9/10

The scenes in the Governor's Office killed me the most.

"Have you gone beserk? Can't you see that man is a ni?"

according to early reviews

Lancemc said:

Blood

will be much better than

Youth

Re: according to early reviews

deep said:

Blood

will be much better than

Youth

Very likely, but I'm still highly anticipating both films, though for different reasons. Either way it's going to be an awesome day.

No spoken words said:
Lance, what else are you doing while in NYC?

Don't really have anything pinned down for sure yet. I'm really going to have to wait until I can see the showtimes that week, and figure out which theaters we'll be visiting. Especially considering it's over 4 hours travel time each way, we're not going to have a whole lot of time to sightsee too much. But depending on what part of town we end up in, we'll probably find a cool spot to eat, and find something cool to check out around there before/between shows.

No spoken words said:
Have you been before?

I think I've been to NYC roughly 7 times before. Possibly my favorite place on Earth. I would have tried to go to school there if I had used a bit more foresight and could have afforded it.

No spoken words said:
Ok, good...would hate if this were your first foray into the city and you did not have time to explore.

Yeah, my only obvious regret from past trips has been never making it to the World Trade Center. The first time we went there, it was back in 1999 or 2000 I believe, and we actually had dinner reservation at Windows Over the World (I think that's what it was called), but we couldn't catch a cab in time to make it there, so we ended up crossing the street and dining at Sardi's (An absolutely wonderful choice of course, and I've been there again twice since), but you can probably imagine how much that pisses me off now.

But I don't know, I'll probably have 3 friends going with me on the trip, and I'm not sure how many of them have been to the city before, so I might actually try to give us as much time there as possible to explore a bit, even at the expense of the Youth Without Youth showing. So we'll see what happens.

Lancemc said:

Yeah, my only obvious regret from past trips has been never making it to the World Trade Center. The first time we went there, it was back in 1999 or 2000 I believe, and we actually had dinner reservation at Windows Over the World (I think that's what it was called), but we couldn't catch a cab in time to make it there, so we ended up crossing the street and dining at Sardi's (An absolutely wonderful choice of course, and I've been there again twice since), but you can probably imagine how much that pisses me off now.

But I don't know, I'll probably have 3 friends going with me on the trip, and I'm not sure how many of them have been to the city before, so I might actually try to give us as much time there as possible to explore a bit, even at the expense of the Youth Without Youth showing. So we'll see what happens.

I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless of what you elect to do. It's an amazing place, as you need not be told.

As for the WTC, I understand. It's amazing how many NY'ers had never even visited the buildings, let alone tourists. I've been, but not since 9/11....I still can't bring myself to visit Ground Zero, though, I did force myself to watch United 93, which was sort of cathartic for me.

Just got back from my double feature of No Country For Old Men and Atonement.

I'm not good at talking at length about movies (or books, for that matter). But I know what I like.

And I loved both of these movies. Atonement was everything I'd hoped it would be and the ending (true to the book) moved me more than I was expecting.

No Country For Old Men had me on the edge of my seat multiple times. Loved it. The ending caught me off guard by its abruptness (one guy, way down near the front piped up at the fade to black: "That's it?" Heh.). But I loved it.

Chigurgh would pwn Hannibal Lector, Leatherface, and Norman Bates in like 5 seconds.

He's a B.A. to the max.

photo_04.jpg

*craps pants*

We need a March Madness-style 64 villian/hero tournament on this site....32 of each...Chigurgh, Batman, Optimus Prime, The Terminator, Darth Maul, Khan, Neo, Bill the Butcher etc.....need many planets/places to serve as the host sites....so, if Superman gets seeded on or near Krypton, he's fucked....Hoth could host, Rivendell, the Matrix, Autobot City, the 5 points.......

I just re-read this and it reminded me, for the umpteenth time, that I'm one of the world's largest dorks. Whatever. :)

Ah, but there is still good left in Vader.

Chigurh? Not sure on that one. Darth struggles with his remaining slice of goodness. Anton flips a coin.

And hey, can someone clear up a plot point for me?

I couldn't quite figure out what Jimmy Root and Woody Harrelson had to do with everything. They were in on the drug deal? Who did they work for?

No spoken words said:
We need a March Madness-style 64 villian/hero tournament on this site....32 of each...Chigurgh, Batman, Optimus Prime, The Terminator, Darth Maul, Khan, Neo, Bill the Butcher etc.....need many planets/places to serve as the host sites....so, if Superman gets seeded on or near Krypton, he's fucked....Hoth could host, Rivendell, the Matrix, Autobot City, the 5 points.......

I just re-read this and it reminded me, for the umpteenth time, that I'm one of the world's largest dorks. Whatever. :)

A Heroes vs. Villains March Madness-style tourney?

Dude, we really should do this
right after I accumulate all of the shit for the Decade Lists.

Because we all need to see Ellen Ripley vs. Han Solo and Megatron vs. Bruce the Shark right now

Last edited:
See, I don't know if 32 villians should be in the South and East, with the good guys in the West and Midwest brackets, if you follow....I think each bracket gets 8 good guys, and 8 bad, and if 4 bad guys advance to the Final Four, so be it.

Either way, it needs to go down.

Hmm, that would be pretty awesome.

As long as it's held on Space Moon and narrated by Gus Johnson, I think we all win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom