Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You aren't necessarily annoying.

Repeating the same thing over and over day after day can be though.

Hmm, maybe you're right. I guess it just feels like it.

Maybe it is really that annoying after all.

Lancemc said:
There was a point near the very end of Spanglish when Cruz' character ... Either way, I still enjoyed that movie more than I thought I would, despite the sloppy script.

Agreed. It was a little bit of a mess, and Tea Leoni's character never became very sympathetic, but there was something about it I just liked.

It wasn't Penelope Cruz, though ... Paz something? Is that her name? I think it's the same actress from Y Tu Mama Tambien? Maybe?

Paz Vega actually, it was. She was in Talk to Her as well.

Guess I'm just used to seeing Penelope Cruz in everything these days, plus it was a while ago I saw Spanglish.

They do look a little similar. I find Penelope Cruz SO much more intriguing in her native language. I think she's slightly annoying when acting in movies where she's speaking English.

Hehe, I've managed to stay clear of that thread for a loooong time. I've peaked inside before, and quickly darted back out. It's a scary thing.

Just Mudfeld scares the hell out of me to be honest.

corianderstem said:

Agreed. It was a little bit of a mess, and Tea Leoni's character never became very sympathetic, but there was something about it I just liked.

It wasn't Penelope Cruz, though ... Paz something? Is that her name? I think it's the same actress from Y Tu Mama Tambien? Maybe?

Paz Vega was in Talk to Me, but it was Maribel Verdu (sp?) in Y Tu Mama Tambien, who was also in Pan's Labyrinth as the sister of the guy in the resistance who helps the little girl.

I also thought Spanglish was much better than it should have been. The thing was unfairly savaged by the critics, and while it was definitely a white liberal guilt film, its heart was in the right place, and it wasn't stupid or as condescending as it may appear to be. Sandler deserves credit for his work, as does Leoni portraying an unsympathetic character that still managed to elicit a certain amount of pity (if that makes sense). And of course Vega, and the girl that plays her daughter.

I was slightly more poised to like it as I haven't seen a bad James L. Brooks film. This is the guy who gave us Terms of Endearment, Broadcast News, I'll Do Anything, and As Good As It Gets, so you're either partial to his kind of humanist melodrama or you're not.

In The Mood For Love - 9/10
Not quite the masterpiece some have made it out to be, it's more deliberately paced than the other Wong films I've seen, with a remarkably lean plot. Instead we're intoxicated by the two leads, and ask our own moral questions as they play-act and accidentally fall in love themselves. It's remarkably touching, and insanely beautiful in all respects. Perhaps just not quite motivated enough to earn a perfect score.

I also watched 2046 again after this, and was even more impressed than I was the first time. Definitely going to grow to become an all time fav, if it isn't already. I really hope WKW revisits this ensemble again some time in his future, maybe so we can see Mr. Chow as an even more mature man, perhaps with a family? And what of Su Li Zhen and her daughter? Or Bai Ling? I would love to visit these stories again down the line, and wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see WKW do so at some point.

The Piano - 7
Consider me unimpressed. Holly Hunter is an acting goddess though; of that I need no more convincing. She's easily the most (and only?) compelling part of this film, the only standout piece of a generally bland experience. This is deft filmmaking, no doubt, but it also felt like the longest film we've watched this year in class (And we watched Birth of a Nation...). It's almost entirely unentertaining, and the expressive aspects of the film are weighed down by the absurdity of the character profiles. Honestly, there wasn't a rational character development in the entire film. But I'll be forgiving. The acting is still remarkably strong, specifically Hunter, and it's a very pretty film. Just severely misguided.

Dalton said:
What color IS unimpressed? I would guess Sea Green. Its always seemed haughty and unimpressed to me.

What the hell are you talking about, sir?

Colour me confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom