Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) III - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #181
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Heh - clearly I can't remember books I read five years ago clearly.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #182
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

In the book, Jan Burres is quoted as saying, "Alex was nice to her, but she was too young for him. He couldn't take her seriously."

I'll bet she didn't look like Kristen Stewart, either. You walk into a girl's room and she's stripped down to her skivvies, talking about how her parents are out of town, I wouldn't have trouble taking that seriously.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 AM   #183
Neon Zebra

Um, ok.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #184
Refugee

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Hmm, I'm still not sold on Into The Wild. I'll probably wait to rent it or until it comes on Sky.

Stray Dog
An early effort from Akira Kurosawa, pre-Rashomon, it’s a police story set in contemporary Japan. Toshiro Mifune (Kurosawa’s most famous lead actor) stars as the rookie detective fresh from national service in WW2 who loses his gun one day on a crowded bus. Takashi Shimura (the head of the Seven Samurais, Ikiru) plays the veteran ‘tec in charge of hunting down the criminal who has been using it in his / her crimes. Both leads stand out and compliment each other perfectly in their shared scenes. Like Seven Samurai’s rain storms and Throne of Blood’s mist, Kurosawa uses another element to accent the mood, in this case an oppressive heat. Mifune spends most of the film sweating as he despartely tracks his lost gun and battles his guilt over feeling personally responsible for the crimes commited with it. Also, Kurosawa explores a theme he would later revisit in another police procedural, High and Low; that of two similar people whose lives diverge at the same point. Not quite as poignant here as it was in his later work, it nevertheless adds a strong emotional weight to the climax.

How to Marry a Millionaire
Fabulous romantic comedy about three Manhattan women (Marilyn Monroe, Lauren Bacall and Betty Grable) who rent a luxurious apartment in order to snag and marry wealthy men. The film basically follows their individual attempts to find such a man and what they all learn along the way. Aww. It’s really cute though, with some snappy banter between the girls and their potential suitors. There’s a few wry in jokes too, such as Bacall’s when she’s trying to convince an older man that she digs the age difference, "I've always liked older men... Look at that old fellow what's-his-name in The African Queen. Absolutely crazy about him." It’s not a great film and both Monroe and Bacall did far better work (can’t say I’ve come across Grable before) but it’s entertaining enough for an afternoon and easy on the eye too.

Little Children
Since I saw this at the cinema back in March it’s consistently held a place in my top five of the year so far. I’m happy to say that after a second viewing it still does. Kate Winslet delivers another quality performance (oh when will she get her Oscar?) and is ably supported by a great all round cast. Special mention must go to Jackie Earle Haley as a recently released paedophile suffering a hate campaign. Winslet deservedly received plaudits for her role but this guy should be held in equally high regard for his work here.

It strikes me as a very honest film, dealing with the mistakes of our past and present and how we have to grow up and deal with the consequences. There’s a fair amount of humour sprinkled throughout and as it progressed I got really sucked into the story and performances, so by the time the climax arrives I was on the edge of my seat. By the end itself I’ve felt completely wrung out on both viewings, but whereas I felt this way yet satisfied at the end of Babel, here I don’t have the same satisfaction. Without being able to quite put my finger on it, I think that one storyline in particular goes overboard when it really didn’t seem right to after the general tone of the film beforehand. So my emotions get all brought up and twisted around, for a payoff that can’t deliver and would have felt more appropriate had it not been quite so melodramatic. But that’s the one flaw in one of my favourite films of 2007.

In the Mood For Love
And now the big one. Lance, I’d recommend skipping this until you’ve seen it for yourself. Seeing the recent flurry of Wong Kar-wai love (well, OK, from two people) I finally decided to watch my copy that came free with the paper a while back. Simply put, if this were a one word review then it would read ‘Exquisite.’ But I can feel a gush coming on. Right from the first few scenes the film settles into a perfect rhythm that’s accomponied by a spot on score. This, along with the sublime editing and cinematography (which I saw afterwards both won awards at Cannes), turn the action into a dreamlike state and it’s a joy to watch.

Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung play the neighbours and tentative lovers after the slow realisation that their spouses are having an affair draws them together. Feeling alone and with an urge to understand just how such a thing could begin, they start to reenact what they believe could have happened. Here the film blurs the line between what it real and what is acted out and later rehearsed. Takes are repeated, scenes start without any warning as to what mindset the characters are in but it all goes a long way to establish the characters.

It’s a heartbreaking film in the end, but one that I got to experience without a great level of hype surrounding it. I can’t wait to watch 2046 (Tivo’d it a couple of weeks ago) and Days of Being Wild has been added to the rental queue already.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #185
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

On a side note, I couldn't believe the hot little number that Panic Room's Kristen Stewart has grown into. Unfortunately, she was the same age as the 16-year old she was playing in the film. Too young to be my new crush, but maybe Lance will act in my stead. McCandless' failure to give in to temptation was perhaps the only unrealistic (and frustrating) part of the film.

Easily my favorite part of the film. Absolutely gorgeous, and quite the acting talent. Like a mini-Zooey.

Too bad I couldn't share the same enthusiasm towards the rest of the film.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier

She doesn't quite have that unique spark that Zooey does though.

monkeyskin, great reviews again, and nice to see Little Children held up--it was my #2 film from last year. You talked a lot about the acting, but Todd Field deserves a lot of credit for his direction. Such a great visualist.

I really need to see Stray Dog. I've thought about ordering it before, as I loved High and Low. One of these days...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #187
Blue Crack Supplier

I happened to catch the last half of The Departed on cable here in the hotel room, and I realized that Kristen Stewart is easy to forget when compared to my NEW CRUSH from last year:

Oh Vera...normally I don't go for the blondies, but those EYES...and I think I have a little thing for the Slavic heritage.

Did anyone ever see Down to the Bone? It came out in '04 or '05, and Vera played a drug addict. Apparently she was phenominal and won a few critics' awards for it.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #188
Refugee

Local Time: 11:27 PM
A couple movies watched over the past week:

Evan Almighty
2 stars out of 5

Steve Carell wasn't bad, and since I'm a fan of his that's the main reason I rented this. But otherwise it was a waste of time. Dumb story, some pretty weak acting overall. Can't recommend it.

The Man Who Wasn't There
4 stars out of 5

I know some people were really raving about this in the best of 2000s movie competition. I watched it 5 or 6 years ago and rated it 4 stars then, but wanted to watch it again and see if maybe I missed something. I'm still at 4 stars on it. Like it but don't love it. I think Billy Bob Thornton does an awesome job, but the movie drags at times.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #189
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Perfume.

Fucking strange. The ending caught us off guard.

Flight Of The Living Dead.

Kick-ass zombie fun.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #190
Blue Crack Addict

Trying to remember everything I've seen since last post, short review time:

Vertigo - 9.5/10
Brilliantly complex narrative, Stweard and Novak give earth-shattering performances. Suspence gives way to a deep romantic character study from the twisted mind of Mr. Hitchcock. Beautiful expressive moments pepper this often naturalistic piece.

Mullholland Drive - 10/10
Screwtape should be proud. I finally decided to give this one another shot after my first disasterous viewing about a year ago or whenever. I forced myself to get through the slow, mucky beginning, until the satire and narrative direction began to reveal itself. From that point on it was full-on ball-to-the-wall psychological bliss. Naimo Watts naked isn't too bad either.

Saturday Night Fever - 7/10
This is an enjoyable film. Moreso than it probably should be for someone my age. It's also completely ridiculous in just about every way. But it launched Travolta into true stardom, and spawned one of the most successful albums of all time. The dance scenes are obvious highlights here since the serious bits vary from average to downright ludicrous. But it's a Disco movie, that's what you go in expecting.

Singin' in the Rain - 10/10
The more enjoyable and clever musical I've ever seen, it's an absolute joy every time I see it. I had the pleasure of watching this again for class, and it never fails to charm the hell out of me. It's remarkably witty, even if you're not looking for the deeper satire in here. But even on a superficial level, it's an exceedingly fun and heart-warming picture.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #191
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Singin' in the Rain - 10/10
I love this movie so much.

"I make more money than Calvin Coolidge! ... PUT TOGETHER!"

The first time I saw it was in an 8th grade American history class. After the "Make 'Em Laugh" sequence (perhaps the most brilliant piece of physical comedy ever put to film? Yes? No?), the class demanded the teacher rewind the tape so we could watch it again.

I think we ended up watching it 5 times in a row.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #192
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Trying to remember everything I've seen since last post, short review time:

Vertigo - 9.5/10
Brilliantly complex narrative, Stweard and Novak give earth-shattering performances. Suspence gives way to a deep romantic character study from the twisted mind of Mr. Hitchcock. Beautiful expressive moments pepper this often naturalistic piece.

...and you graduate with honors.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #193
Blue Crack Addict

I'll be watching The New World tonight...finally.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:00 PM   #194
Blue Crack Supplier

Film fans, I have a little treat for you. I found a website that offers public domain films for download. Free. In various sizes. A lot of it is crap, but there are several Hitchcock films on there including one very prestigious one. I highly suggest you get a hold of Under Capricorn, which is one of Hitch's strangest films as it's not one of those nail-biting thrillers but more of an atmospheric mystery. Ingrid Bergman, Joseph Cotten, and photography by one of the all time greats, Jack Cardiff.

Here are a couple links to the pages for various films:

Under Capricorn

http://www.archive.org/details/UnderCapricorn

Jamaica Inn

Charles Laughton and a band of pirates! Very fun.

http://www.archive.org/details/Jamaica_Inn

Stage Fright

Not one of Hitch's best, but Marlene Dietrich

http://www.archive.org/details/Hitchcock_Stage_Fright

The 39 Steps

One of the all-time best, and one of his first sound films. Seriously. The original "wrong man accused" Hitch film that inspired the others.

http://www.archive.org/details/The39Steps

There are others, if you go to this main page and click on Hitchcock:

http://www.archive.org/browse.php?fi...=feature_films

This site is addictive and will take up disk space quickly, I'm warning you. There are tons of silents, documentaries, camp/cult films, etc. I'll try to periodically come back and recommend new stuff that I've checked out to save some of the browsing time.

Enjoy!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #195
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'll be watching The New World tonight...finally.
Grad school already?