Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II - Page 56 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #826
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:29 PM
I don't think Gangs is assigned until the 1840s, and we're in the 1780s/1790s right now.

If the extra credit is as easy as it was for The Patriot, I'll just watch it now and do it when the time comes.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #827
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:29 PM
The Patriot makes me hate movies.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 PM   #828
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

It was beautifully shot though. Maybe the only thing it had going for it.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #829
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know if I'd call it "beautiful". It was decent, though. Which is still quite the feat for an Emmerick film I suppose.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:02 PM   #830
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, if a director can make the colonial South look like shit, then that's got to be some type of skill.

My other favorite part of the movie, after Mel's dead wife's sister takes care of his children, he totally macks on her at the end. What?

How jarring is that for the kids, to see their father make-out with their aunt???

Danny Glover would've slapped some sense into him.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #831
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:29 AM
The Patriot was shot by one of the best, Caleb Deschanel (Zooey's dad). He also shot Passion of the Christ; god knows why he likes working with or for Mel. Gave both of those films more crediibility than they deserved.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:31 PM   #832
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Talk about making chicken salad out of chicken shit.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #833
ONE
love, blood, life

Saw "Stranger Than Fiction" yesterday and really enjoyed it. I'm not a Will Farrell fan, mainly because I think he's a little too over-the-top and hammy but in this he was very low-key and understated and great. My only complaint about the movie was that they didn't try to explain why an author was writing the main character's life. I thought it would be like "Truman Show" or "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and the story would make some kind of sense out of this strange occurance but it did not. Other than that, totally enjoyable.

And Emma Thompson is always brilliant as a crazy person.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 PM   #834
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't understand why you initially gave The Patriot 2 and a half stars (I'm assuming out of 5) and then five posts later you are calling it shit (or at the very least are ragging on it more than it appeared you first wanted to).
I don't like to let other people influence my like or dislike on a movie. I'll confess it sometimes happens and then I'll feel bad about it because I'm not trusting myself.

People have shit all over The Patriot (as well as a slew of other movies I thoroughly enjoy) and I still call them my favorites. (In fact, I recall seeing a huge billboard for The Patriot when I was in London and someone had graffitied "TRAITOR" on the bottom of it. I lol'ed.)

Anyway, I really enjoyed The Patriot and despite everything I hate about Mel Gibson, I enjoy his work a great deal. Ransom is another favorite Mel flick of mine and I get a lot of shit for liking that one too.

Mayhaps I'm just a sucker for historically inaccurate movies.
Maybe not, because I hated Troy and Alexander.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #835
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I just saw The Yards today. I'm really hoping that We Own The Night will pwn that movie. I think Mark Wahlberg and Joaquin Phoenix have a good chemistry flowing and The Yards completely messed that up.

3/10
Old 09-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #836
Blue Crack Addict

Troy was definitely less painful than The Patriot, and apparently the director's cut is actually quite good.

As for historical films, I've been watching snippits of The New World on HBO today, and an still dumbfounded as to how I've somehow avoided seeing any Mallick flick in full to this day. Every shot in this film is remarkably beautiful. How have I not just rented the damn thing yet. Oh well.

That's soon to be corrected as soon as my netflix order comes in. Days of Heaven will soon be mine.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #837
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
As for historical films, I've been watching snippits of The New World on HBO today, and an still dumbfounded as to how I've somehow avoided seeing any Mallick flick in full to this day. Every shot in this film is remarkably beautiful. How have I not just rented the damn thing yet. Oh well.

That's soon to be corrected as soon as my netflix order comes in. Days of Heaven will soon be mine.
WHAT?!?!

I eny and pity you at the same time. Envious that you get to see these for the first time, pitying because you haven't had them in your life longer.

Enjoy.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #838
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, I fully expect to.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #839
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat
I don't understand why you initially gave The Patriot 2 and a half stars (I'm assuming out of 5) and then five posts later you are calling it shit (or at the very least are ragging on it more than it appeared you first wanted to).
I don't like to let other people influence my like or dislike on a movie. I'll confess it sometimes happens and then I'll feel bad about it because I'm not trusting myself.

People have shit all over The Patriot (as well as a slew of other movies I thoroughly enjoy) and I still call them my favorites. (In fact, I recall seeing a huge billboard for The Patriot when I was in London and someone had graffitied "TRAITOR" on the bottom of it. I lol'ed.)

Anyway, I really enjoyed The Patriot and despite everything I hate about Mel Gibson, I enjoy his work a great deal. Ransom is another favorite Mel flick of mine and I get a lot of shit for liking that one too.

Mayhaps I'm just a sucker for historically inaccurate movies.
Maybe not, because I hated Troy and Alexander.
I wasn't pandering, if that's what you're thinking. It had the basis for a good story, looked good, and the battle scenes were well-done, which warrants at least 2 and a half stars in my book (i'd consider watching it again.) What keeps it from being higher are problems I have with plot, character development, and some of the acting in general. The script has too many flaws, in my eyes, to be considered really good.

It's cool if you like it or disagree. Ransom is a pretty good movie, but that line... oh man, kills me every time.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #840
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Troy was definitely less painful than The Patriot, and apparently the director's cut is actually quite good.

You started with his worst, so, it only gets better from there.