Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II - Page 46 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #676
The Male

Local Time: 04:46 PM
My rating system:

10 - Perfect. I'd watch it again and again and not get tired of it.

9 - Superb. Not quite perfect, but wonderful in just about every way possible.

8 - Great. Flawed, but entirely watchable and fantastic within its genre.

7 - Good. It's great moments outweigh its terrible moments, and if you like the film's genre, it's worth a viewing.

6 - Decent. It's either too bland or too up-and-down to really love, but it has its moments of greatness.

5 - Mediocre. Entirely average. There's nothing that makes it stick out, and there are probably many better films within its genre, but it's watchable.

4 - Disappointing. Just poor all around. Some may be able to get something from it, but I just can't. It's not horrible, but not something I would watch a second time.

3 - Lousy. There's nothing to gain from watching a film this bad. An all-around disappointment.

2 - Atrocious. Very few films are this bad, but they exist. The acting is wooden, the dialogue is horrible...why bother?

1 - Expensive coaster. There is absolutely nothing good about a film that gets this rating. It's worse than you can possibly imagine.

Now.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #677
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Since everyone else is:

10 - A Masterpiece
These are films that come around, usually a couple every year, sometimes more sometimes less, that epitomize everything I love about film as an artform and entertainment medium. There is no aspect that falls below par.

9 - Excellent
This catagory ranges from films that are near-masterpieces, or even better in some respect, but have a fatal flaw to films that are just all around excellent in most ways if not masterpiece-level.

8 - Great
These are films that accomplish damn near everything they set out to accomplish, with capable to admirable skills, and provide a rewarding experience.

7 - Good and Enjoyable
Films that might not quite reach levels of greatness, and might not be the most finely tuned works of art. Usually these are films that have great entertainment value and capable craft, or films that have great craft/art and average entertainment value.

6 - Better than Average
Definitely watchable films, and follow similar guidelines as the 7POINT films, but some aspects might fall below acceptable range.

5 - Mediocre
These films range from bad films with incredible entertainment value, to ambitious films that are heavily flawed, to films that are just outright mediocre in every way.

4 - Weak
Maybe some admirable aspects here and there, and it might be worth watching in a Michael Bay sort of way, but these are weak efforts. Typically avoided.

3 - Crappy
This is when films become totally unwatchable. They are crap, and there's very little to like.

2 - Downright Bad
This is the level where I find a lot of films that might be capably made, but are utterly offensive to good taste or good cinema, or just really piss me off for one reason or another (Recent example: Shoot 'Em Up)

1 - Absolutely Painful
I rarely rate films this low, but they certainly exist. If you want to torture some POWs, you show them these.

0 - Less than Worthless
These are films, that for whatever reason, are simply counterproductive to the art or craft of cinema, and make people hate watching movies.

-----------------------------------------

It's also worth noting that I requently rate films with a (.5) addition to these scores. There is definitely a very distinct differce for me between a film with a (.0) ending and a film with a (.5) ending.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #678
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Anyhow, I'd recommend watching

Hard Eight/Sydney
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia

now in that order for the full package.
I've got Magnolia and Punch-Drunk already on my iPod, along with the Director's Cut of Death Proof and a boot of Superbad.

I love you, technology.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #679
Blue Crack Addict

Ew.

Watching movies on an iPod.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #680
Blue Crack Supplier

You'd better like Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love, YLB.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:00 PM   #681
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ew.

It's not that bad actually. Nothing beats watching a movie on a big screen or great TV, but it has it perks (ie: using a thumb to cover Marky Mark's wang at the end of Boogie Nights).

Didn't want to see his funky bunch.

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words
You'd better like Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love, YLB.
If they're anywhere close to as great as Boogie Nights, I most likely will.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #682
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Since everyone else is:

0 - Less than Worthless
These are films, that for whatever reason, are simply counterproductive to the art or craft of cinema, and make people hate watching movies.

by including 0

you have 11 possible scores so 5 in the middle - for average (as 3 is on the 1 to 5)

I think some people in here graded some movies like term papers with a 7 being 70% average a C grade

it is good that we are clearing it up.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:03 PM   #683
Blue Crack Addict

Just remember that Magnolia and PDL are two very different types of filmmaking than BN.

Magnolia has a tedious and demanding narritive structure, and PDL places the focus on visual and aural storytelling above straight narritive.

There Will Be Blood looks like his return to a mroe traditional narritive structure, though nobody really knows for sure. Just venturing a guess there.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #684
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

My favorite part of Boogie was the ensemble cast, they all were well-developed and at least brought something to the table. It looks like Magnolia will deliver that in spades, plus the structure sounds intriguing. Thanks for the heads up though.

Speaking of Daniel Day-Lewis, in English we get to watch The Crucible and in AP American we can watch Gangs of New York... so I'll be boning up on my D-Day after the PT-athon.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #685
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Ew.

I'd cry but I can't spare the tears

the only things I watch on iPod are music vids or short clips created for that medium

I feel like I am cheating when I watch quality films on TV
instead of on the big screen they were created for.

Well, I guess I can cancel my trip to Europe
they put the Mona Lisa on a postage stamp (j/k i think)
Old 09-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #686
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

The only reason I watch them on an iPod is because I'm not "allowed" to see certain movies, Boogie Nights being one of them because Mama LMP likes to make assumptions about things she knows nothing about.

We both agreed that when I'm 17 I'll be able to see whatever, so for now, this is like the appetizer before the main course.

For now it's fine, because I can still see plenty of movies through NetFlix, in theaters, and via torrent -> iPod.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #687
Blue Crack Addict

sorry

didn't realize your situation

trying to relate

let me think about it
Old 09-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #688
Blue Crack Supplier

I have the video Ipod but really don't use it for anything but listening to music or occasionally playing a game.

YLB, that does suck. I wonder if you're better off waiting, it's such a small little fucking screen.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #689
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

It's alright for now, I mean, the first time I see great movies it's just to see them and know what's going on, the second time is for analysis - like reading a great novel. So the size of the screen isn't an issue with a first-time viewing.

The resolution for the new iPod has upgraded slightly from the previous model, so that's nice.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #690
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
The only reason I watch them on an iPod is because I'm not "allowed" to see certain movies, Boogie Nights being one of them because Mama LMP likes to make assumptions about things she knows nothing about.

We both agreed that when I'm 17 I'll be able to see whatever, so for now, this is like the appetizer before the main course.

For now it's fine, because I can still see plenty of movies through NetFlix, in theaters, and via torrent -> iPod.

Just tell your mom BN's is about 'big packages'.

I'm sure she likes those!