Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #601
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Hmm, that makes sense, hopefully Yuma will negate the crappiness of Shoot 'Em Up for you.

John McTiernan and even Paul Verhoeven are the masters of ridiculously violent yet coherent films, their best ones starring Arnold Schwarzenegger (and Bruce Willis in McTiernan's case)

Old 09-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #602
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:50 PM
A lot of my favorite critics are saying Yuma is one of the best "classic westerns" since the John Ford days.

If I don't get to finally see this movie tomorrow, I'm going to have to burn something down.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #603
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Burn the workprints of Shoot 'Em Up?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #604
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe Michael Davis' house.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:17 AM   #605
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

Shoot 'Em Up - 2.5/10

I could not believe how bad it was.

this was amature film making at it dullest

it was like a bad parody of a john woo film

The movie stopped about 1/2 way through so I took the opportunity to get a readmit pass and left.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:24 AM   #606
Blue Crack Addict

310 to yuma

6/10

a bit of a disappointment

this film is getting all the good buzz

Russel Crowe does a good job

Bail plays the quiet, loser
as he has done a few times.

It is nice to see Peter Fonda, again

what went wrong? the ending.

the fist 2/3 may have been about a 7.5.

I can't believe people are comparing this film to the Unforgiven
Old 09-08-2007, 02:24 AM   #607
Blue Crack Addict

(concerning Shoot 'em Up)

Seriously, I couldn't really believe how absolutely bored I was the entire time. It's almost a damn feat of brilliance to make a film with that much action so dull.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:35 AM   #608
Blue Crack Addict

the score was irritating, when you notice the music because it annoys you, that is bad film making

the carrot thing
was just stupid

the jokes were not funny

Clive Owen is one of my favorite actors

and I never thought I would not want to stay for a film that had Monica Belucci in it.

But when the film stopped and the house lights came on for a few minutes
I kept asking myself why am I staying?

so I took the pass and left
no regrets
Old 09-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #609
Blue Crack Addict

I honestly wish I could have done the same.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #610
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I honestly wish I could have done the same.

Michael Davis is the writer and director of Shoot 'em Up.

checking IMDB.COM

this guy has no real track record, I think this is some of the worst writing I have ever seen in a major film.

There is nothing in his pass the supports these high caliber actors working with him

I hope there was a lot of upfront money for them

and I am real leery of the scores that both IMDB.COM and rottentomatoes are giving this movie.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #611
Refugee

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Michael Davis is the writer and director of Shoot 'em Up.

checking IMDB.COM

this guy has no real track record, I think this is some of the worst writing I have ever seen in a major film.

There is nothing in his pass the supports these high caliber actors working with him

I hope there was a lot of upfront money for them

and I am real leery of the scores that both IMDB.COM and rottentomatoes are giving this movie.
Good thing I checked here. I was thinking of seeing it based on the names. Was it worse than Transformers?

By the way, deep, the 4400 is pretty awesome now and there are only 2 episodes left this season. Maybe consider checking it out!

I saw Perfume: the story of a murderer. Very vivid, but ultimately unconvincing in terms of human nature. The same thing happens again and again and then the climax is unbelievable and silly and the character's redemption at the end is too late and doesn't really make sense.

A creepy fairytale, basically, with wooden characters. Then again, some may like it; Roger Ebert did and that's why I saw it, but Richard Roeper didn't and I agree with him.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #612
Blue Crack Addict

Richard Roeper is a friggen idiot.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #613
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld

Good thing I checked here. I was thinking of seeing it based on the names. Was it worse than Transformers?

By the way, deep, the 4400 is pretty awesome now and there are only 2 episodes left this season. Maybe consider checking it out!

I saw Perfume:
I read all 3 pages of the IMDB reviews

and I think Davis and his pals spiked them.

There are four legit one / two star reviews from real people

one mentions how transformers was not that good, but at least there was a plot and enough things that worked to recommend that movie.

as for 4400 - I would rather watch the killer clown episode over and over than any part of Shoot em Up

and btw, I would give the preview a 7.5,
it made me want to see the movie!

but Davis is a straight to video director
and this film is just bad.

funny thing on the rottentomatoes site
this film dropped from 82% to 62% in one day

and I have not seen perfume
it was only in theaters for one week
(I really prefer big screen)

but it is one
that I will look for on cable.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #614
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

g******* Movies

2 Titles

Show Votes

Shoot 'Em Up (2007) 1
Spider-Man 3 (2007) 6
well,

i am registered at imdb

and it looks like this is only the second movie I have taken the time to vote on.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #615
Blue Crack Addict

3:10 to Yuma - 8/10

Seeing this after Shoot 'Em Up was like getting punched in the gut and throwing up a crappy meal one night, and eating at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse the next.

It was almost the perfect companion piece. Leaving SEU I felt disgusted. Why do people feel the need to create a ridiculous, horrible script as an excuse to film 80 minutes of over-the-top action? Since when has that ever been a legitimate why of creating an action film? 3:10 to Yuma does everything right that Shoot Em Up did wrong (which is just about everything...).

Here, we have a characer-driven narritive, paced expertly, with just the right balance of suspence and action. When the characters aren't shooting at each other, they're quietly examining one another, figuring out the best way to gain or maintain the upper hand. And when they are speaking, it's always carefully crafted dialog that slowly exposes something new about the character's psyche.

Speaking of characters, Ben Wade just might be my favorite Russel Crowe incarnation to date. He's ruthless, sly, and always puts on the facade of a man who knows exactly what's about to happen before anyone else has a clue, even when he doesn't. But he's also a good man, probably the only one of his "posse" with a shred of honor or real respect. This latter quality comes out in every moment Wade shares with Dan, the washed up, broke rancher played to a "t' by the ever-astounding Christian Bale. Dan has lost the respect of his son and his wife, and uses the situation with Wade as a manner of not only solving his financial troubles, but of redeeming himself in the eyes of his family.

The highlights of the film come in these tense and enthralling interactions between our two main characters, as we watch both men evolve and grow in ways we might not have originally expected. This is your classic morality play. Good and Evil are clearly defined, but the manifestations might not be exactly what you expect.

But this isn't just a character-study (though it succeeds moreso as such). Yuma is a classic actioner, and features all the western staples from horse-riding, stage-coach raids, bounty hunters (Peter Fonda in great form), stereotypically brutal Apache Indians, men throwing badges at one another, barns being lit on fire, and your classic pistol dual (though again, it's definitely not what you expect).

So no, there aren't nearly as many bullets fired, or guys shot in this film as there were in Shoot 'Em Up. But for every 1 second of action in Yuma to every 10 seconds of action in Shoot 'Em Up, Yuma delivered quadrouple the excitement and satisfaction. This is how you make a bad-ass action movie, folks. Take note. Because unless you have characters and situations that can truly engage you, the most frantic gunfights in the world aren't going to illicit a single genuine thrill.

All that said, Yuma isn't the perfect film. It isn't even the perfect Western. It plays it a little too close to the traditions here and there, and Mangold doesn't quite deliver the caliber of character or phylosophical depth you'll find in the best period films out there [hopefully we can look forward to The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford later this month for such an experience, along with Richard Deakins' remarkably beautiful cinematography]. Yuma isn't the best-looking film out there, and it isn't quite one of the most riveting action flicks I've ever seen [Hell, it likely won't even be the best Western we see this year, especially if you count No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood], but it's a remarkably successfull film on all fronts, and sure as hell kicked off the fall season with a thunderous bang, and a bang, and a bang, and a bang bang bang...