Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
got_edge said:
lol, can you make George Sr. slap Matt in the face? DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!
I was considering that when I saw how George Sr. gets all up Matt's grill when I made it. Who knows, who knows MAYBE I WILL.

PS Your icon needs some George Sr. action so we can be twinsies in some fashion again. I miss seeing myself give the thumbs up to ¡América y Cuba! every time you post :sad:

Hmm. Wasn't someone supposed to give us a review of The Darjeeling Limited? And Lust, Caution? And Jesse James/Robert Ford?

Just wondering.

As threatened / promised:

The Long Kiss Goodnight
A case of whambamthankyoumaam cinema from writer Shane Black. Believe it or not I hadn't seen it before but I loved every preposterous second. I was giggling along with the exchanges between Geena Davis and Samuel L Jackson (especially when Brian Cox waded in as well) and it was interesting to spot the odd line and motif here and there that resurfaced in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. This is what all so-call 'mindless entertainent' films should aspire to be.

Empire of the Sun
Another one where I'm late to the party, but again I was thoroughly impressed. God knows how many plaudits have been heaped upon Christian Bale's debut performnce so I'll limit myself to just 'wow'. Full of striking images, the overall film more than does his performance justice, with the kamikaze pilots sticking in my mind especially. Also, it's worth noting that while the ending is happy to an extent, it's hardly the cliched sugar coated ending Speilberg has used on more than one occasion.

London to Brighton
Grimy little Brit flick from a first time director and a cast of unknowns. Starting in the middle and slowly filling in the prior events as the story hurtles on, it's not for the squeamish. The cinematography is spot on, for some reason I always find it strange to see England portrayed so unflinchingly on the big screen, it's a far cry from the usual Notting Hill vibe that is more common these days. Anyway, this is a fine, taut little thriller that's well worth checking out for something outside the norm.

Goodfellas
Now I was going to be watching John Waters' Pecker instead, but I messed up the recording (stupid pre-watershed PIN codes). So I took the opportunity to revisit this modern classic. While it's often praised as one of Marty's masterpieces, there's also some criticism that this marks the point when he became emotionally detached from his films. It's a valid point, right from the opening titles that zip across the screen through to the awesome and dizzying camera introducing us the characters' world. While this is necessary to lull us into the glamour of the gangster life and then bring us crashing down to Earth by the end of the film, Scorcese never really gets under the skin of his characters like he did with his previous films. It's down to the actors to bring them (brilliantly) to life - it's all in the eyes baby. I'm not saying that Scorcese has been overpraised for his work here though, the early scenes feel like he's having the time of his life after the heavy Last Temptation of Christ and he's been sucked into this world even before we get a chance to. So overall a fantastic film that's endlessly rewatchable, quotable and just plain cool, but even though it's filled with inspired touches it never quite reaches the depths of some of his earlier classics.

monkeyskin said:
Empire of the Sun
Another one where I'm late to the party, but again I was thoroughly impressed. God knows how many plaudits have been heaped upon Christian Bale's debut performnce so I'll limit myself to just 'wow'. Full of striking images, the overall film more than does his performance justice, with the kamikaze pilots sticking in my mind especially. Also, it's worth noting that while the ending is happy to an extent, it's hardly the cliched sugar coated ending Speilberg has used on more than one occasion.

B-51, Cadillac of the skies!

lazarus said:
Hmm. Wasn't someone supposed to give us a review of The Darjeeling Limited? And Lust, Caution? And Jesse James/Robert Ford?

Just wondering.

Hmm. I was wasn't I?

I was going to do full professional reviews for each one, but my cronic laziness got the best of me.

I'll do some brief Interference-style ones shortly though.

The Darjeeling Limited - 8.5/10

The opening scene of the film follows a worn Anderson vet running his butt off to catch a train through India. As he reaches the platform and runs after the leaving locomotive, we see a new face pass his in the immediate background. Adrian Brody plays one of the 3 Whitman brothers in the film, and runs to catch the fleeing train, sparing a single sympathetic glance at the tired business man as he falls further behind. Brody makes the train and watches as the older man bends to his knees in exhaustion, having given up the chase.

This opening scene is both one of the most exciting and revealing scenes Anderson has filmed to date. Darjeeling is no doubt a new turn for Anderson, a more mature film, unlike anything he's done before. Adrian Brody is one of the newest cast into the Anderson ensemble, and I hope to see him return for future projects, as he provides easily the most satisfying performance in the film.

As we follow these brothers along their trip through India (a spiritual journey, claims Owen Wilson's Francis), we are treated to a family and set of relationships with more genuine emotional strength and sincerity than we've seen Anderson explore before. If just for that reason, Darjeeling is a landmark film for the young auteur.

Darjeeling maintains many of the trademark stylistic techniques from previous films, including expressive half-sets and slow-motion walking scenes set to stellar music (a trick that after 5 films somehow manages to never get tired). Speaking of the soundtrack, Darjeeling's is second only to Anderson's dysfunctional masterpiece, The Royal Tennenbaums.

Darjeeling is not a perfect film, however. The second half seems to meander a bit too far off track from time to time, and the conclusion could have been more satisfyingly drawn-out (As with much of the film, cut to a lean 91 minutes). At the same time, the script and filming conditions provide this one with a far greater feeling of improvisation and spontanaity than we've seen yet in a Wes Anderson feature.

Ultimately, when the credits roll you will be wishing there was so much more, which is both a blessing and a curse in this case. But you won't really notice, because you'll be too busy humming that Kinks tune when you leave.

Last edited:
Lust, Caution - 9/10

Ang Lee's latest is a deliberate, reserved, beautiful, haunting, and intermitently shocking work of cinema. It's perhaps one case where a half hour or so could have easily been trimmed from the film, but the strengths here are too strong to hold this against it.

The film follows a young drama student over the course of 4 years, growing from a shy young girl into a frightfully mature agent of the Chinese Resistance. Ang Lee searched through over 10,000 girls to find his leading lady, and the nearly year-long extensive private training his selection endured more than payed off on the screen. Newcomer Tang Wei appears in her debut feature in what is sincerely one of the most remarkable performances of the year.

She plays her role as a tenured master of the craft, and plays off of Asian super-star Tony Leung in what is no less than a fatal ballet of wits and passions. enough cannot be said about Leung's performance either. He's traditionally reserved in his performance, but manages to express oceans of subtle hints and slips into his character's conflicted soul.

Lust, Caution features several moments of the most brilliant filmmaking of the year, including a shocking and powerfully expressive scene of murder in the first hour of the film. Much has been said about the explicit sex scenes in the film, and damn if I'm not going to mention them too. It takes an artist of the highest calibur to execute what could have devolved into smut in a manner of the utmost taste and believability. It is through these serial sexual encounters that we observe with the greatest clarity the evolution of the relationship between our two leads. Each encounter progresses from more brutal and detached to more sensual and entwined, their limbs growing entangled and their bodies sharing the motions of their passion.

It's a dangerous game of cat and mouse these individuals believe to be playing with one another, and the tension continues to grow from the opening sequences right up until the very last scene in the film, building over the course of probably 2 hours. At one moment, Wei's character reports to her superior officer that as she lets him enslave her in his brutal lovemaking, cumming inside her, not satisfied until he makes her bleed and scream, she wishes the Resistance soliders would finally just bust open the door and shoot him in the back of the head, covering her in his brains and blood.

Throughout the film, we never know who is going to come out on top, and we even begin to hope no single party has to, but that's not the reality of the situation. It's a game of life and death, and one team is destined to lose. Discovering which is a horribly painful and sorrowful experience, and one that I can't recommend to everyone.

Form a technical stantpoint, this film is just as impressive, if not moreso than anything Lee has done to date, though the relentlessly deliberate pacing can wear the most dedicated of viewers. Lust, Caution is quite the investment, but with the proper mindset and cinematic perspectives, it can prove to be the most rewarding experience one can find at the theater this year.

There's a thin line between art and entertainment, and it's refreshing to see a director throw caution to the wind (lulz, I said caution) and create a stark expressive work like this one. It's not a film about love, like many of Lee's features. This one is more about the responsibilities one human being can commit to another, and about the nature of identity in a decietful if unavoidable situation.

In conclusion, Lust, Caution was possibly the most difficult film I've seen this year. It demands your acute attention, and is completely unforgiving of your patience or lack thereof. It's also far from the most entertaining film of the year, but it's possibly the accomplished, and definitely the most provocative. Remember I said this: The final two shots in this film are the most beautiful and poignant of anything I've seen in theaters in several years.

Thank you, sir. Nicely done.

It's going to be hard to top those final shots from Crouching Tiger, but I'll take your word for it.

And since you said James/Ford was your favorite of the 3 (hopefully it wasn't just because of Zooey's cameo), I can't wait to read your write-up on that one.

lazarus said:

And since you said James/Ford was your favorite of the 3 (hopefully it wasn't just because of Zooey's cameo), I can't wait to read your write-up on that one.

I actually saw this one again for a second time last night, and it gave me a better grip on the whole thing. It's still an excellent film, but I think I'd rank it just slightly below Lust, Caution now.

My top three of the year now look like this:

1. Eastern Promises
2. Lust, Caution
3. ...Jesse James...

Eastern Promises #1, huh?

I loved it but it didn't seem like a rewatcher compared to other Cronenberg; eXistenZ, for example. Have to check it out again.

To be honest, I'm not exactly a big Cronenberg fan. I've seen several of his older horror films, but the only more recent of his I've seen has been A History of Violence. I disliked that one at first, but it's grown on me quite a bit.

To use a reasonably inappropriate comparison, Eastern Promises felt like The Godfather plus a more brilliant use of violence minus a lot of needless exposition. A lot of the themes are rather different too though, which is why it isn't that great of a comparison. On the surface though, I think it fits.

I really want to see it again in theaters. I might go see it when I see Control or Michael Clayton or whatever this coming week.

I'd also love to see Lust, Caution again, although I'm not really sure I can endure that particular runtime again so soon.

I'm still waiting for Darjeeling to hit somewhere in Florida. From what you've said and other reviews, I'm very excited. A change in direction for Anderson is welcome for me, while not completely betraying his style.

Good write ups Lance. I'm very keen to see all three of those films when they arrive over here (although Lust, Caution won't be till January :() and any doubts I had on the two you reviewed have been banished now.

Wolf Creek, a decent Australian film that has all the fun and games that I have come to expect in a horror/thriller, good to see a movie that takes sadistic violence as the lark it is, I was rooting for Mick the whole way through :up:

Favourite Bit; Playing around severing spinal chords

Most annoying bit: Liz not smashing his brains to bits with the butt of the rifle when the chance was there, but then that would make it a short movie.

:wink:

Michael Clayton

7.5/10

I thought it was very good. I usually don't go for legal thrillers, but based on the strength of its reviews (and yes, I admit, The Clooney Factor), I went. I thought it was very, very good.

Michael Clayton. 8/10.

I pretty much loved it. It was a bit slow moving in parts and I thought the direction was overly deliberate in some scenes. But George was fantastic, and the entire cast did a great job. Since I am in the middle of recruiting for these sorts of firms at the moment, it hit a little too close to home in some ways.

Into the Wild

9/10

What can I say? It was heartbreaking. I found Alex/Chris much more sympathetic in the movie than in the book, and whether that's due to artistic license, Krakauer's writing or my own change in attitude, I can't say.

Emile Hirsch was amazing, and the supporting cast was very good. I hope Hal Holbrook wins at least one award for his own moving work. My only issue with the casting is that William Hurt and Marcia Gay Harden looked like they were in the wrong movie - surely they meant to be in some movie about the 1970s? I'm sure that's what his parents actually looked like, but still ...

It just broke my heart that he wouldn't reach out to his family to at least let them know he was alive. I understand his parents may have been assholes, but they were still his parents, and what about his sister? Clearly, he loved her. Every side character that asked about his family and if they knew where he was, it broke my heart a little more.

The projector/disc/whatever it is these days screwed up at the end, though, and as the camera panned up from the last shot and the music played, the movie stopped. No credits, nothing. Just the house music and lights and a black screen. It was incredibly jarring, and I really needed a few more minutes in the dark to pull myself together. The theater guy reassured those of us who complained that we did indeed see the whole movie, that was the final shot, and gave us a free pass. But I was really bummed about that abrupt ending.

And then I wanted to buy the soundtrack, but on sale it was still $14.99 (at my favorite local store that usually has sales for new releases under $10), and I didn't want to spend fifteen bucks on a CD that was barely more than a half hour long (if what I've read was correct).

The Assassination of My Brain by the Filmmaker Andrew Dominik

I'm nearly speechless. Totally absorbed into this thing. Not much of a story, just a very well-drawn atmosphere of dread and foreboding. Though the characters are completely different, comparisons to Robert Altman's McCabe & Mrs. Miller are not inappropriate. Nick Cave's score worked in this as well as Leonard Cohen's songs did in McCabe.

Def one of Brad Pitt's career highlights, Affleck is a force to be reckoned with, and at this point I think the Cinematography Oscar is Roger Deakins' to lose. He's overdue anyway. Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me if this is completely ignored by the Academy and the general public because this one is probably a bit too esoteric for most.

My only complaint: Only ONE dialogue scene for Zooey?! She didn't look her best, either. Also, casting Paul Schneider (who continues to impress) and Zooey in the same film and not giving them a scene together, thereby preventing an All the Real Girls reunion, is inexcusable.

Possibly my #1 of the year at this point, though there's obviously a lot of great stuff on the horizon.

I didn't think I'd be interested in that movie, but after reading a short article on James and Ford in Smithsonian magazine, I think I want to see it.

My big problem? I'm not a fan of "westerns." Although it sounds like this has a lot more going for it than being "just a western."

We'll see if I make it to see it in the theater.

I've been really looking forward to Jesse James, but like Darjeeling, it isn't playing anywhere near me.

In the Valley of Elah and Eastern Promises are however; I'm in no way interested in another melodramatic Haggis flick and no one will go see Eastern Promises with me.

Laz, your review sounds a lot like something I would have written for the film. :up:

I still place Eastern Promises and Lust, Caution above it, but all three films are perfect 9/10's.

Lancemc said:
Laz, your review sounds a lot like something I would have written for the film. :up:

I still place Eastern Promises and Lust, Caution above it, but all three films are perfect 9/10's.

How can anything be a perfect 9/10? Isn't that an oxymoron?

:wink:

Incontestably, the following is one of my favourite films, and as such, deserving of a sizable, and indeed, overly loquacious, review.

Yakuza Attack Dogs: Half a mile of non-specific runic odes and hieroglyphics…

Gozu (2003)

Directed by Takeshi Miike

Takeshi Miike has often been regarded by connoisseurs of Japanese cinema to be something of a creative enigma, a man who at one moment may wax lyrical about his undying love of traditional flower arranging (ikebana), only to dispense with such feeble niceties to turn his attention to topics of an altogether more sinister variety.

For Miike is a man with whom little is taboo, a man who is willing to challenge, and indeed defy, the conventions and apparent limitations of not only film, but contemporary art itself. So far, so superlative, but I honestly do believe that Miike has outdone himself with this, arguably his most languid offering, a genre hopping and majestically deranged surrealist treatise on the human soul, known only as ‘Gozu’.

The film itself, for all its worth, centres around the Odysseus style meanderings of a virginal yakuza henchman named Minami (Hideki Sone), who is instructed to ‘remove’ his senior officer Ozaki (Sho Aikawa) due to what the local crime boss describes as his ‘curious’ behaviour. Minami despite having great respect for Ozaki anxiously acquiesces to his superior’s demands, no doubt influenced by Ozaki’s recent elimination of a diminutive Chihuahua, whom he believed to be an assassin of sorts, intent on taking his life.

Upon taking Ozaki for what should be his last drive, an accident occurs, resulting in the apparent fracturing of Ozaki’s skull, ergo, completing the task that had previously fallen to Minami, without his (deliberate) interference. Minami, who suddenly finds himself at a comparative loss, continues to drive with Ozaki’s corpse as a companion, eventually arriving at the town of Nagoya, a grey hued Elysium of a city, still reeling from the last great bout of economic recession (in any case, this is further emphasised by the urine-tinged aesthetic provided by the poorly construed, yet brilliantly employed, camera filters).

Without giving too much away in regards to the psychological minefield that Miike deems to be a plot (screenwriter Sakichi Satô appears to have had a field day writing this one), I do feel that I can safely state that the myriad citizens of Nagoya are the true stars of the show, and at that, the true source of Minami-San’s perpetual introspection.

In any case, one could never describe the ‘human’ population of Nagoya as being normal, as for every autistic clairvoyant innkeeper (who, just by chance, or so it would appear, happens to have an ‘almost oedipal’ relationship with his decrepit sister, or is that mother?), there inexorably appears a night crawling, cow-headed, pornography sharing, tap-dancing, primordial excuse of a man, who much like Minami, apparently seems to be at odds with his current, hellish, surroundings.

So what of Ozaki, the supposedly deceased psychotic Chihuahua slaughterer? Well his body disappears, and afterwards, in one of the most inexplicable and bizarre career comebacks since Christ’s resurrection, his spirit returns, having conveniently adopted the guise of a beautifully voluptuous young woman, who (as one may expect), casually attempts to seduce the increasingly perplexed Minami in a series of sexually arousing vignettes.

As I’ve already stated, ‘Gozu’ in itself is an extremely difficult film to categorise, a writhing goliath of kaleidoscopic themes (including those two seemingly inseparable subjects, homosexuality and reincarnation) and improvised altercations, that inevitably defies the traditional boundaries of cinematic genre by veering sporadically between both comedy and tragedy with an almost stupefying fluidity, that truth be told, will not only confuse those who happen to be familiar with (or fans of) Miike’s sizable back catalogue of ultra violent thrillers (chief amongst which remains ‘Ichi The Killer’) but also those more accustomed to the cookie-cutter fodder of mainstream western cinema, wherein yakuza attack dogs are rarely studied in a serious, let alone detailed, manner.

(Consequently, ‘Gozu’ plays loose and fast with certain filmic conventions. For instance, one need only observe the general irreverence that Miike exhibits in regards to western sensibilities, as he prefers, and rightfully so, to embrace his own cultural heritage, presenting the action in a deliberately episodic and jilted style, that more often than not, proves to be vividly reminiscent of Japan’s first great art-form, manga.)

Nevertheless, despite, or in spite of, the aforementioned weirdness, the most striking aspect of ‘Gozu’ as a film has next to nothing to do with its visual or indeed, thematic deviations, but rather to do with the fashion in which Miike admirably handles such ethereal material, effortlessly creating a believable context, in which, rather contradictorily, anything can, and will, happen.

Nicely written, ZD. I haven't caught this Miike, and based on your recommendation I'll have to hunt it down. I just went to a website that has good capsule reviews and in their entry for Gozu I came across:

"rectal soup-ladle electrocution"

That alone probably makes this one worth seeing, and is strangely what listening to the studio version of Videotape feels like.

:crossesthreadsagain:

Well, is there a better way to die?

Anyhow, if that takes your fancy, the majority of the film will be right up your… street? I would suppose. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom