Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2007, 01:16 AM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Zodiac

7/10. I found it a bit boring. Not sure if it was too slow-moving or what, but it felt like it was dragging on and it really shouldn't have been given the plot. I guess I just expected more.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 AM   #452
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Zodiac probably was 20 minutes too long, but between the writing, photography, and the amazing cast performances, I was riveted the entire time. It's easily my favorite Fincher film, and my favorite film of the year thus far.

9/10 for me. And the scene in the basement was the most terrifying scene I've seen in any film in a long time.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #453
Refugee

blah , blah , blah , blah

Le Dernier Combat - great , this is the first one by Luc Besson , the only thing i got nervous about was that offscreen rape/murder of a girl ( or was it ?? , or maybe she was just a robot or something , i certainly hope so ) , i just felt very upset ( like the main hero ) , but overall it's fantastic , jean reno was there too , i can't believe he still looks the same , after all these years
watching this movie is like taking a fresh shower
Old 07-29-2007, 12:05 PM   #454
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
I Signs!

I don't like it as much as Unbreakable or Sixth Sense, but it's still good. Anything is better than The Village.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:05 PM   #455
Blue Crack Addict

I'm a big fan of Besson and Reno. I'll check that out one day Winnie. Cool.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #456
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

I don't like it as much as Unbreakable or Sixth Sense, but it's still good. Anything is better than The Village.
I just saw Unbreakable again for the second time the other day. The first time I saw it I really didn't like it, but this time it just clicked for me. Now it's easily my #2 Shyamalan film (not a whole lot of competition for that spot though).
Old 07-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #457
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I'm a big fan of Besson and Reno. I'll check that out one day Winnie. Cool.
me2 , i'd say it's one of his best , sorry for spoiler
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #458
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:12 PM
Is it as good as The Professional? I really loved that movie.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #459
Refugee

i'm not a big proffessional ( or Leon Killer* euro title ) fan , so naturally i can't tell , all i like is NYC scenery , some good scenes ( leon's first caSE ) + lifetime best perfomance by Gary Oldman in it , all his scenes are terrific , i wish movie was bout him , La Femme Nikita was done a bit better , less pressure , more natural , same ideas , more style , oh yeah and we get happy ending too
Old 07-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #460
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I just saw Unbreakable again for the second time the other day. The first time I saw it I really didn't like it, but this time it just clicked for me.
I had the same reaction to Unbreakable. I hated it when I saw it in the theater, and I can't even say why. I gave it another chance on DVD, and really liked it.

Just got back from ...

The Simpsons Movie

8/10

I laughed a lot. That's all I wanted from the movie, so I'm very pleased.

(Plus, a trailer for Sean Penn's next film (as a director) - "Into the Wild," based on the Jon Krakauer book. This book was fascinating and disturbing, and I cannot WAIT to see the movie.)
Old 07-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #461
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Dead Silence

4/10

So boring and predictable. And other than the creepy-doll factor, not even scary.

My sister and I wanted to watch a cheesy, scary movie. I would say that we got what we asked for, but this movie was less cheesy and more boring and tedious. Although NOTHING was as boring and as tedious as The Abandoned. Stay away from that film at all costs.

I wanted to watch Black Christmas, my sister voted for Dead Silence. She's 15, so I let her have her way.

I'm 32. I should've known better.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM   #462
Blue Crack Supplier

Astronaut Farmer

7/10

Better than I expected. It was probably a 6, but Bruce Willis with his signature "grinning constantly for no reason" bumped it up a whole point itself.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #463
Refugee

I had seen The Bourne Identity a few years ago, but failed to appreciate it to the extent that I now do. At times it is certainly difficult to believe, but it is relentlessly captivating and extremely engrossing. My only criticism would be that Clive Owen deserved a larger role.

9/10

The Bourne Supremacy is largely in the same vein as its predecessor, relying on extensive fighting sequences and elaborate chase scenes to balance the intricate storyline. Damon's performance is much more nuanced in this episode, but the film as a whole repeats many of the tactics of its predecessor; though they may be equally or even more dramatic and superbly filmed than their previous installments, the viewer now knows what to expect. All things considered, this is still a highly captivating, fast-paced film.

8/10

I expected The Simpsons Movie to be atrocious, so I was pleasantly surprised by its quality. Nonetheless, it suffered for exactly the reason that I suspected it would- the series thrives on its spontaneity and myriad plot twists, which a full-length film simply cannot sustain. I still believe that they ought to have made the film an extended version of the "21 Short Films about Springfield" episode, which featured concise mini-stories about 21 different characters. The tactic would have avoided the seeming exigency of settling into a groove, and would also have capitalized on the show's abundance of quality characters.

5/10
Old 07-31-2007, 01:03 AM   #464
Blue Crack Addict

Renaissance

Interesting French film that was filmed entirely in hyper-stylized CG using extensive performance-capture. I'm a sucker for PerCap, so this was a given. I just watched the original French version of the film with English subs, though I'll definitely be buying and English DVD, featuring voice-work by Daniel Craig and Iam Holme.

The visuals really steal the show here. It's one of the most visually stunning films I've seen in years, reminiscent of Sin City and A Scanner Darkly. The film is entirely in black and white though outside of 2 very short instances, meaning there are no shades of grey what-so-ever, givin it a very stark marker-drawn asthetic. Truly beautiful.

The film itself is a futuristic neo-crime-noir revolving around a kidnapping and a corporate coverup, and the usual twists and romantic subplots. It was a solid story, just nothing spectacular or terrible fresh. I'd say the film as a whole is something like a weird blend of Minority Report, Sin City and Blade Runner, just not up to the level of any of those three films (well, maybe Minority Report, but that depends on what you thought of it).

It's hard to give this a rating, because on one hand, it's a pretty standard narritive, and not terribly engaging, but still enjoyable. But on the other hand, this film was a 7-year labor of love pulled off on a practical non-budget, that really pushes percap and CG in a new artistic direction, and for that I have to give it major credit.

I'm thinking 8/10,
Old 07-31-2007, 06:55 AM   #465
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 6.5/10

I thought the film suffered for the same reason I initially disliked OotP the book: there is really no strong central storyline, and the big revelation at the end is anticlimatic to say the least. Harry has to be the one who kills Voldemort? Well ddduuuuh. I came to like the book much better on the following readings, mostly because once the plot and the big mystery stopped being a burning issue I could relax and enjoy the character-related stuff. The problem with the film though is that it has to concentrate on the story a lot more, and to me it came off as a pretty rushed collage of events without any real spine to it all. And because it has to cram in so much, many events and developments have little chance to truly sink in and, for quite a lot of its running time, it feels like the film is just rushing from point A to B. Umbridge was a letdown though I can't really pinpoint why; I just didn't have the same "arghhhh I want to strange this bloody woman" reaction as I still do when reading the book.

Not to say there weren't any positives. Luna Lovegood (one of my favourite characters) was spot on and just as I'd have imagined her. Twins were a delight as always. Gary Oldman once again made me like Sirius so much more than I ever did in the book. Seeing the new locations like MoM was very exciting and the battle between DD and Voldemort at the Ministry was epic. In the end it didn't really add up to a wholly satisfying film experience, but oh well, the fifth book was always going to be tough one to adapt.