Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Devil Wears Prada - 7/10

I could probably watch Meryl Streep eat Captain Crunch for 100 minutes and it would be amazing.

^this is true. She is one of the, if not the best actress of our time.

Last night:
The Departed :up: :up:

Tonight:
Bourne Ultimatum :up: :up:

What can I say. Both were great. I think I'm still trying to figure a thing or two out in The Departed. Great acting, and I like the end with Wahlberg. BU is non-stop action. I don't know how they filmed some of that. Amazing that Bourne never has a scratch or bruise on him. As far as Finney's character though, didn't he commit suicide in the 2nd? Or is he playing someone else this time :scratch:

ahem:

Matt Damon ... Jason Bourne
Julia Stiles ... Nicky Parsons
David Strathairn ... CIA Deputy Director Noah Vosen
Scott Glenn ... CIA Director Ezra Kramer
Paddy Considine ... Simon Ross
Edgar Ramirez ... Paz
Albert Finney ... Dr. Albert Hirsch
Joan Allen ... Pamela Landy

ETA: I think I'm confusing him with Brian Cox, my bad

they looked a lot a like. I was kinda confused when I saw him on screen tonight, and I went alone, so I had no one to confer with

RFK
4/5

This was a made-for-TV movie from 2002 on TNT or TBS or something that I rented from Netflix. Linus Roache did a heckuva job as Bobby Kennedy. James Cromwell, who I think is a fine actor, was a strange casting choice as LBJ. This wasn't a great film, but it was decent, and told the story of Bobby Kennedy from his brother's death to his own death. RFK is my favorite American political figure, so maybe I'm giving this an extra star for that alone. America would be so different if Bobby had gone on and won the 1968 election....

The film moved me, but probably not as much as Bobby, the 2006 film about his last day.

Does anyone remember Brian Cox as Hannibal Lecter in Michael Mann's Manhunter (remade a few years ago as Red Dragon)? In my opinion, Cox gave a much more natural (and ultimately creepier because of that approach) performance than Anthony Hopkins, and while the film is certainly a bit dated with Mann's Miami Vice style, I think it's a superior film.

CSI's William Petersen plays the lead (Edward Norton did the honors in Red Dragon), and he's just such a great actor. I'm glad he's found a late-career resurgence on television. He was also in To Live & Die in L.A., which was directed by William Friedkin (The French Connection, The Exorcist), but totally feels like a Michael Mann film.

lazarus said:
Does anyone remember Brian Cox as Hannibal Lecter in Michael Mann's Manhunter (remade a few years ago as Red Dragon)? In my opinion, Cox gave a much more natural (and ultimately creepier because of that approach) performance than Anthony Hopkins, and while the film is certainly a bit dated with Mann's Miami Vice style, I think it's a superior film.

CSI's William Petersen plays the lead (Edward Norton did the honors in Red Dragon), and he's just such a great actor. I'm glad he's found a late-career resurgence on television. He was also in To Live & Die in L.A., which was directed by William Friedkin (The French Connection, The Exorcist), but totally feels like a Michael Mann film.

I remember it fondly, yes. Can't say it's better than Heat or the Insider or even Thief, but I do like it.

I actually thought that To Live & Die in LA WAS a Mann fuilm, huh. Dafoe is in that too, no?

Yes, he actually plays the bad guy, a counterfeiter. It's pretty notable for an attempt to top the chase scene from French Connection (widely considered the best of all time) with two cars going the wrong way down a Los Angeles freeway. It's pretty killer.

I just looked this thing up on IMDB, and discovered that (a) Friedkin initiated this project after failing to helm Manhunter, and (b) Mann unsuccessfully sued Friedkin for ripping off Miami Vice with this film.

Weird, huh?

Two movies I need to check out now.

Marathon orders:
PT-athon
Scorces-athon
Mann-athon

Yeah, why not?

Miami Vice was terrible, and the half of Manhunter I saw was badass.

Thief, The Insider, Collateral, Mohicans (another AP US extra credit flick), and Heat all seem like must-sees.

I know if Michael Bay can become a successful director in Hollywood, I can probably be, too. He and Brett Ratner.

Apart from The Rock or Transformers, his work is pure shit.

Michael Bay is a plauge upon cinema. He's like the Anti-Cameron.

Brett Ratner is like the Anti-Christ though, so it's hard to get worse than him.

Lancemc said:

Michael Bay is a plauge upon cinema.

Agreed.

I sat and watched Pearl Harbor and could not fucking believe what I was watching. Just stunned. Fucking hack (Transformers aside) :)

There was a fake Michael Bay blog a year or two ago that was fucking hilarious. It got pulled down.

Seriously.

I almost took it personally, it was that bad. Bad films are common, but, man, the subject matter was important and he churned out this piece of shit.

The theater, more than once, booed it out loud. A few people left and I wanted to too, but I was with 3 women who did not want to leave and I thought I had a shot with one of them. Turns out the only thing stupider than the film that night was me.

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do...

I sat through Princess Diaries 2: Electric Boogaloo and fucking White Chicks for my ex-girlfriend. We should both receive medals.

And she couldn't watch Back to the Future with me.

I was on a first date back in LA with someone I got set-up with, and the conversation turned to music. She told me, with no shame, that she loved Nickelback and I fucking mentally checked out on that date right then and there. I don't know if that's right or wrong, immature or whatnot, but that's what happened.

My buddy started singing "Rock Star" last night as we were walking back from Wawa, and I yelled at him about it for five minutes.

It's legit, I cannot listen to a Nickelback song for more than 5 seconds without my head exploding Scanners-style. You did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom