Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen Full Metal Jacket, so I'm not sure.

Kind of like From Dusk 'Til Dawn for me, actually.

(awesome crime drama set-up -> ridiculous vampire movie???)

Garden State doesn't nearly have the kind of narritive dichotomy though that Full Metal Jacket does, which is purposefully structured as such in its narritive.

Garden State's shift is a more subtle one in tone, which has entirely different effects on the film and LMP's apparent appreciation for it.

There's also the unnecessarily long shot of two people having doggie sex for like 10 seconds.

Very uncomfortable for a movie night.

Red Road
3/5 Netflix stars

Netflix description: "Far removed from the world, Jackie (Kate Dickie) uses her job as a security surveillance monitor to zoom in on her little corner of Glasgow, Scotland, through cameras placed throughout the city. One day, she sees the familiar face of Clyde (Tony Curran), a man whom she never imagined she would see again -- and who figures prominently into a dark episode in Jackie's past. Director Andrea Arnold's taut thriller captured the 2006 Cannes Jury Prize."

The story itself wasn't bad, but the movie was very slow-paced. Pretty dark and disturbing film.

"Little Miss Sunshine"

Finally got around to watching this, and I can't say that I loved it or was blown away by it. It pushed some boundaries, and the characters were amusingly quirky, but I didn't find the script particularly funny (though "Where is your grandpa?" "He's in the trunk of our car." was pretty darn hilarious :lol: )

The deciding factor in a movie like this is the characters themselves, and for about the first 1/3 of the film, I hated pretty much all of them. Dwayne was cold, pretentious, and never even had a funny line until the end of the movie, Edwin had some great lines, but I found him to be a bit creepy, while Frank and the parents were a mixed bag. I must say that I loved Olive; she's sweet, naive, and gave the film the warmth that it needed.

The direction was fine, nothing to wet yourself over, the pacing was excellent, and it built up nicely, but the story was resolved far too quickly. (Hey, we're in prison for some reason! Oh, you're letting us out, but we're not allowed to enter one certain member of our family into beauty pageants ever again? That makes sense! :hyper: THE END.)

All in all, this movie is overrated, but I enjoyed myself. It was well made, the soundtrack was great, and there were some stellar moments.

7/10

I liked Little Miss Sunshine more the 2nd and 3rd times around. It's definitely one of the better family dramas I've seen in recent years.

SeattleVertigo said:

7 from me is a C grade -- not that high.

that may explain some of these grades

a seven (7/10) to me, is good grade

5 is average - to slightly disappointing

and

6 is average - to slightly recommendable

0ne to 5 stars may be better for grading,
because 3 is exactly in the middle - for average

verses 5 1/2 on the 1- 10 scale.

giving 7 the average score on a 1 to 10

means anything below a 6 (well 5 and below) is a failure as a movie.

Yeah, on my last review I switched back to the 5-star system. I thought 1-10 was the convention here so that's why I was doing it.

For me, 5 stars means I absolutely loved it.

4 stars is very good.

3 stars is OK -- not that great, not that awful.

2 stars is pretty bad. I rent few movies that end up with a 2 -- I must be pretty discriminating in picking movies.

1 star is attrocious God awful crap. I've only seen one of those since I started Netflix.

yeah,

I think the 1 to 5 stars may be best

and because not all 3s are the same,
I have even seen people rate a film
3.75 out of 5 stars

On rottentomates, I think anything over a 60%, they rate - fresh, or they recommend it

and on imdb they use the 1 to 10

and when the films are in the low 6s, i still enjoy them :shrug:

I think I will switch to the 1 to 5 also,

Last edited:
My rating system:

10 - Perfect. I'd watch it again and again and not get tired of it.

9 - Superb. Not quite perfect, but wonderful in just about every way possible.

8 - Great. Flawed, but entirely watchable and fantastic within its genre.

7 - Good. It's great moments outweigh its terrible moments, and if you like the film's genre, it's worth a viewing.

6 - Decent. It's either too bland or too up-and-down to really love, but it has its moments of greatness.

5 - Mediocre. Entirely average. There's nothing that makes it stick out, and there are probably many better films within its genre, but it's watchable.

4 - Disappointing. Just poor all around. Some may be able to get something from it, but I just can't. It's not horrible, but not something I would watch a second time.

3 - Lousy. There's nothing to gain from watching a film this bad. An all-around disappointment.

2 - Atrocious. Very few films are this bad, but they exist. The acting is wooden, the dialogue is horrible...why bother?

1 - Expensive coaster. There is absolutely nothing good about a film that gets this rating. It's worse than you can possibly imagine.

Since everyone else is:

10 - A Masterpiece
These are films that come around, usually a couple every year, sometimes more sometimes less, that epitomize everything I love about film as an artform and entertainment medium. There is no aspect that falls below par.

9 - Excellent
This catagory ranges from films that are near-masterpieces, or even better in some respect, but have a fatal flaw to films that are just all around excellent in most ways if not masterpiece-level.

8 - Great
These are films that accomplish damn near everything they set out to accomplish, with capable to admirable skills, and provide a rewarding experience.

7 - Good and Enjoyable
Films that might not quite reach levels of greatness, and might not be the most finely tuned works of art. Usually these are films that have great entertainment value and capable craft, or films that have great craft/art and average entertainment value.

6 - Better than Average
Definitely watchable films, and follow similar guidelines as the 7POINT films, but some aspects might fall below acceptable range.

5 - Mediocre
These films range from bad films with incredible entertainment value, to ambitious films that are heavily flawed, to films that are just outright mediocre in every way.

4 - Weak
Maybe some admirable aspects here and there, and it might be worth watching in a Michael Bay sort of way, but these are weak efforts. Typically avoided.

3 - Crappy
This is when films become totally unwatchable. They are crap, and there's very little to like.

2 - Downright Bad
This is the level where I find a lot of films that might be capably made, but are utterly offensive to good taste or good cinema, or just really piss me off for one reason or another (Recent example: Shoot 'Em Up)

1 - Absolutely Painful
I rarely rate films this low, but they certainly exist. If you want to torture some POWs, you show them these.

0 - Less than Worthless
These are films, that for whatever reason, are simply counterproductive to the art or craft of cinema, and make people hate watching movies.

-----------------------------------------

It's also worth noting that I requently rate films with a (.5) addition to these scores. There is definitely a very distinct differce for me between a film with a (.0) ending and a film with a (.5) ending.

Lancemc said:
Anyhow, I'd recommend watching

Hard Eight/Sydney
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia

now in that order for the full package. :up:

I've got Magnolia and Punch-Drunk already on my iPod, along with the Director's Cut of Death Proof and a boot of Superbad.

I love you, technology.

Lancemc said:
Ew.

Watching movies on an iPod. :barf:

It's not that bad actually. Nothing beats watching a movie on a big screen or great TV, but it has it perks (ie: using a thumb to cover Marky Mark's wang at the end of Boogie Nights).

Didn't want to see his funky bunch.

No spoken words said:
You'd better like Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love, YLB.

If they're anywhere close to as great as Boogie Nights, I most likely will.

Lancemc said:
Since everyone else is:

0 - Less than Worthless
These are films, that for whatever reason, are simply counterproductive to the art or craft of cinema, and make people hate watching movies.

by including 0

you have 11 possible scores so 5 in the middle - for average (as 3 is on the 1 to 5)

I think some people in here graded some movies like term papers with a 7 being 70% average a C grade

it is good that we are clearing it up.

Last edited:
Just remember that Magnolia and PDL are two very different types of filmmaking than BN.

Magnolia has a tedious and demanding narritive structure, and PDL places the focus on visual and aural storytelling above straight narritive.

There Will Be Blood looks like his return to a mroe traditional narritive structure, though nobody really knows for sure. Just venturing a guess there.

My favorite part of Boogie was the ensemble cast, they all were well-developed and at least brought something to the table. It looks like Magnolia will deliver that in spades, plus the structure sounds intriguing. Thanks for the heads up though.

Speaking of Daniel Day-Lewis, in English we get to watch The Crucible and in AP American we can watch Gangs of New York... so I'll be boning up on my D-Day after the PT-athon.

Lancemc said:
Ew.

Watching movies on an iPod. :barf:

I'd cry but I can't spare the tears

the only things I watch on iPod are music vids or short clips created for that medium

I feel like I am cheating when I watch quality films on TV
instead of on the big screen they were created for.

Well, I guess I can cancel my trip to Europe
they put the Mona Lisa on a postage stamp (j/k i think)

The only reason I watch them on an iPod is because I'm not "allowed" to see certain movies, Boogie Nights being one of them because Mama LMP likes to make assumptions about things she knows nothing about.

We both agreed that when I'm 17 I'll be able to see whatever, so for now, this is like the appetizer before the main course.

For now it's fine, because I can still see plenty of movies through NetFlix, in theaters, and via torrent -> iPod.

I have the video Ipod but really don't use it for anything but listening to music or occasionally playing a game.

YLB, that does suck. I wonder if you're better off waiting, it's such a small little fucking screen.

It's alright for now, I mean, the first time I see great movies it's just to see them and know what's going on, the second time is for analysis - like reading a great novel. So the size of the screen isn't an issue with a first-time viewing.

The resolution for the new iPod has upgraded slightly from the previous model, so that's nice.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The only reason I watch them on an iPod is because I'm not "allowed" to see certain movies, Boogie Nights being one of them because Mama LMP likes to make assumptions about things she knows nothing about.

We both agreed that when I'm 17 I'll be able to see whatever, so for now, this is like the appetizer before the main course.

For now it's fine, because I can still see plenty of movies through NetFlix, in theaters, and via torrent -> iPod.

Just tell your mom BN's is about 'big packages'.

I'm sure she likes those! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom