Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MsMofoGone said:
The Warriors 10/10

The Warriors are a gang from Coney Island who went to a meeting in the Bronx to hear the head leader Cyrus speak. Little did The Warriors know that another gang member( his name was Luther) blamed the Warriors for the death of Cyrus, who was shot during his speech of how all the gangs could "control/take over" the city. The Warriors had to high-tail-it back to Coney (without weapons and with a few obstacles that lie in their way ... for one ... every gang was out to get them ... they had absolutely no place to hide) The classic part was at the end of the movie ... the 'big showdown' between the gang member Luther, who was actually the one responsible for shooting Cyrus, and The Warriors fight against him and his gang.

"Warriors ... come out to play"

"Warriors ... come out to play"

"WARRIORS ... COME OUT TO PLAY"

This movie was gang fighting at it's BEST !! :up:

For those of you who have seen this movie ... you might remember the actor who played Luther (David Patrick Kelly) ... he was also in the movie 48 Hrs (with the same character name ... Luther). :wink:

I'm a HUGE Warriors fan but I find it funny that you're cool with this movie, but find Fast Times at Ridgemont High an inaccurate portrayal of teen life and a bad film for kids to watch. Would you say that the Warriors portrays how all of NY was in the 70's and that it's a nice little film for children to watch?

The movie still kicks all sorts of ass, though.

Escape from New York is an accurate portrayal of New York in the year 1997, you know.

monkeyskin said:
The Lookout

Following on from Brick (watch it!) Joseph Gordon Levitt delivers the goods again in another not quite as noirish thriller. He really is turning into a great young actor. Anyway, this film placed character well and truly above anything else, with the plot not kicking in for a good half hour and even then it almost feels incidental to the main leads.

The style and tone of the film is similar to Memento and a more downbeat Out of Sight and if you liked them then this is definitely worth a look, as is anything else featuring Mr Levitt (Killshot certainly looks promising).

Ironically:

Brick.

Borrowed it from a friend last week, and, really liked it, especially Levitt's performance. Not sure if I've ever seen film noir done with High School as the backdrop. I'd give it a solid 7.5.

3:10 to Yuma with Russel Crow and Christian Bale.

Excellent film and the acting is top notch.

It kind of drags a bit in the middle but towards the end it really picks up and gets intense.

Buffalo 66

I revisited this film and then kicked myself for not having bought it right when I saw it. It's one of those films that is just perfect in every way, it's funny, touching, smart, sometimes cruel, but always stellar. Every sentence, song, scene, camera angle is gold..solid gold. Vincent Gallo is a motherfuckin genius, at least in b66.

10/10

Justin24 said:
3:10 to Yuma with Russel Crow and Christian Bale.

Excellent film and the acting is top notch.

It kind of drags a bit in the middle but towards the end it really picks up and gets intense.

is this out already?

dammit, i could have seen it this hot as hell weekend (theaters=top notch ac), i'm a sucker for western flicks , can't wait to see this and the jesse james one.

The Prestige
7/10

Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale did fine jobs with their roles, but I think a movie about magic should be more fun. This was dark, dreary and a bit on the tedious side.

The Science of Sleep
8/10

This was a fun, odd and quirky movie. Really nice performances by Gael Garcia Bernal and Charlotte Gainsbourg. I didn't find it to be too substantial of a film, but it kept me entertained. But boy, does that boy Stephane have issues! (Didn't realize this was directed by Michel Gondry of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind until after viewing -- that explains some of the quirkiness!)

elevation2u said:

is this out already?

dammit, i could have seen it this hot as hell weekend (theaters=top notch ac), i'm a sucker for western flicks , can't wait to see this and the jesse james one.

There were preview screenings this weekend, but wide release is Sept. 7th.

I really want to see this and Jesse James, they might be rentals for me though.

unfortunately most movies end up being rentals since it's hard to convince my friends to watch the films i like. they're a bit much into chick flicks and and things that are normally crap.

but at the same time, as sad as it sounds, i much enjoy watching films by myself on dvd. it wasn't always the case but i've come to enjoy my own company, really. i don't have to worry if anyone is getting bored or if anyone is gonna complain after the movie and i can rewind etc..

the only person i usually go to the movies to watch anything good is my boyfriend and it's quite nice because i have someone to be enthusiatic about a film with and we can discuss it for the rest of the evening. unfortunately, he'e away at school half of the year.

No spoken words said:

Ironically:

Brick.

Borrowed it from a friend last week, and, really liked it, especially Levitt's performance. Not sure if I've ever seen film noir done with High School as the backdrop. I'd give it a solid 7.5.

Glad you enjoyed it. To be honest I'm not sure what my critical rating of it would be but it was my absolute favourite film of last year, one I'd been itching to see that didn't disappoint me at all. Levitt really is a terrific actor, he holds both Brick and The Lookout together so well and his turn in Mysterious Skin is powerful too.

Also, elevation2u, Buffalo '66 is a great little film. Credit must go to Christina Ricci as well, she more than holds her own while Gallo dominates the film.

rented and watched Perfume

i would recommend it, and the ending was not so predictable for a change.

finally...a good rental

Lean On Me - 6/10

True story about the hell of Eastern High in Paterson NJ in the 80s. Absolutely dripping in 80's cheese, complete with synthy montages and "Welcome to the Jungle". It definitely had its moments, but it felt more like a made-for-school film about tolerance. And more than that, it was merely a vessel for Morgan Freeman to give as many as 8 roaring speeches. Christ almighty, a little originality goes a long way.

High Fidelity - 8/10

This movie still kicks ass sorts of ass. That's all

Sydney [aka Hard Eight] - 8.5/10

PTA's debut feature-length, Sydney is a slow and prodding character study, with little plot, and brilliant everything else...

Philip Baker Hall absolutely dominated this film with his turn as the title character, and the rest of the cast supports like they should. The always-amazing Philip Seymour Hoffman steals his one scene though, unsurprisingly. And I'm not ashamed to say a get a little teared up during the pivotal scene as well.

elevation2u said:
unfortunately most movies end up being rentals since it's hard to convince my friends to watch the films i like. they're a bit much into chick flicks and and things that are normally crap.

but at the same time, as sad as it sounds, i much enjoy watching films by myself on dvd. it wasn't always the case but i've come to enjoy my own company, really. i don't have to worry if anyone is getting bored or if anyone is gonna complain after the movie and i can rewind etc..

the only person i usually go to the movies to watch anything good is my boyfriend and it's quite nice because i have someone to be enthusiatic about a film with and we can discuss it for the rest of the evening. unfortunately, he'e away at school half of the year.

I love watching movies alone because too many people talk through the whole goddamn thing and ask me what they missed. Fuck that.

The Hudsucker Proxy
8.5/10

Ahhh, the Cohen brothers. When they're on, they're on!

I just loved the "Christmas Carol/Scrooged" feel of this whole movie. The mailroom-to-CEO's office/rags to riches story has been done a million times, but with talent like Tim Robbins, John Mahoney, Paul Newman and Jennifer Jason Leigh, I didn't really mind so much.

And I loved the fantastical elements, like the broom in the cogs bit at the end.

And the music! OH! That score was gorgeous!!! :drool:

I laughed out loud so many times during this movie. And Tim Robbins hoola-hooping with so much ZEAL and ENTHUSIASM was just :rockon: :drool: :up:

elevation2u said:

If you enjoy watching rentals while alone, then you should go to the theater alone. I'm with you, I prefer seeing movies by myself, but that goes for DVD or at the theater.

And, you're not alone re: Spielberg. Lazarus is not exactly a fan.

Blazing Saddles

mel_brooks-robyn_hilton.jpg

10/10
:lol:

Last edited:
No spoken words said:

If you enjoy watching rentals while alone, then you should go to the theater alone. I'm with you, I prefer seeing movies by myself, but that goes for DVD or at the theater.

And, you're not alone re: Spielberg. Lazarus is not exactly a fan.

I went to see Batman Begins (whatever it's called) by myself in a mostly empty theater and of course some random man had to sit next to me... right next to me and started talking about batman and asking me if I come often by myself. That was the first and last time I went by myself.

(I left 30 minutes into the movie :angry:)

elevation2u said:

I went to see Batman Begins (whatever it's called) by myself in a mostly empty theater and of course some random man had to sit next to me... right next to me and started talking about batman and asking me if I come often by myself. That was the first and last time I went by myself.

That's creepy.

The Lives of Others was great.

elevation2u said:

I'm going to have to go with: that is NOT normal movie theater behavior and I think you were probably being hit-on in a very disturbing and surreptitious manner. :yikes:

Andrew Dominik's "Chopper" - 8/10

Brutal biopic of famed Aussie criminal Mark "Chopper" Read. I rented this in preperation for Dominik's upcoming "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford". I was very pleased. Chopper was a unique and subtle character study that exercises a lot of clever and beautiful filmmaking techniques. Eric Bana's performance really powered the film, however, in this his breakout role. All in all, a solid debut, and if nothing else, it has strengthened my enthusiasm that "...Jesse James..." is going to be one of the year's best films. :up:

no, just reading some online articles

they seem to think it is too long (almost 3 hours) it drags a bit

I am seeing 310 to Yuma. today

rotten tomatoes gives Yuma 82%

and Jesse James 80% - only five votes, though

I will see them both, I am expecting to like Yuma, a bit more.

I have yet to see Chopper
it is on my list.

Well, there are a lot of good reviews for Jesse too, so I'm not worried. I love a rich character study, and I looove westerns, and I loooooooove Richard Deakins' cinematography. Even if it's not the most amazing thing ever, it's all right up my alley. And like I said, Chopper was damn impressive.

But anyway, down to business:

Shoot 'Em Up - 2.5/10

Worst movie of the year? Since I haven't seen Halloween, hell yeah. I knew what I was getting into with this film, but it still didn't prepare me to be absolutely bored out of my mind for 80 minutes. There was a lot of shooting, a lot of campy acting, a lot of lame jokes and one liners, and over-the-top action setpieces.

I thought I'd at least be entertained, but you know what the problem is? 80-minutes of action is still mind-numbingly boring without any context, and even worse in terrible context.

:down::down:

Sounds legit, but is the movie supposed to have a context for its violence, or was it just not enjoyable for you?

I didn't find it enjoyable at all, aside from a few short scenes. And yeah, I think action for the sake of action =/= good entertainment. Take Predator for example. On the surface it seems like nothing but an excuse but a lot of graphic violence, but there's a well constructive narritive there with intersting characters. Sure, it's not very deep at all, but it gives the action a reasonably believable setting. Shoot 'Em Up did none of that for me. Boring as shit.

I equate it to watching a youtube video of someone else playing a videogame. It which case, it can be a lot of fun for the interactor, but not only are you not playing the game yourself, but you aren't even in the same room with the guy. That's sort of what watching this movie was like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom