Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Superbad

Yeah, it was pretty hilarious. The one joke that didn't sit with me very well was the uhm... stain joke. Loved the '70s funk soundtrack, character development (maybe the first teen-centric movie where they actually function like real human beings... well, at least close to it.) and McLovin. Definitely worth a watch now or on DVD.

Rear Window

This was my first full Hitchcock movie experience and it was pretty good. The pace is a little slow by today's standards, but the dialogue and character development is what kept me watching. There's hot, there's beautiful, and there's Grace Kelly.

Last edited:
FECKING "HOT FUZZ".

Review: I saw this film for the first time tonight, and, while I can't help but think that a number of the jokes went over my head (plus I was watching it on a semi-choppy internet stream), I must say that I thought it was great. One of the most most absurd films I've ever come across, its parodies are humorous and accurate. It took me a while to get the "joke" of the film, but once I did, it all fell into place.

"That's not murder...it's ketchup!"

The special effects were wonderfully over-the-top, and the blood was humorously fake in a comic book kind of way. I adored the shootout towards the end of the film, and loved the intense camera work in the final store sequence. Of course, it didn't really need to be intense, but that's what separates Hot Fuzz from lesser comedies.

"You're off the f***ing CHAIN!"

The acting? Well, the acting fit the bill. It was atrocious from a standard viewpoint, but in this film, it ends up being delightfully campy. The facial expressions of Nicholas Angel were nothing less than hysterical, as he looked as if he were in utter disbelief at the most obvious new revelation. Of course, as a comedy, the jokes are supposed to be way up front, but most of the time I was either smiling or thinking to myself "DAMN, this is funny stuff!" without actually bursting out laughing (though I did :lol: about 5 or 6 times and :lmao: 'd at least once), so I am dropping the rating accordingly. Regardless, this film is awesome.

"I feel I should say something smart"

"You don't have to say anyfing at all."

8/10

Good Will Hunting

I forgot how good this movie was. Last night, I just sat in front of the tv and I was looking in my dvd collection and saw the disc. I thought, I haven't seen this movie since the movie theater.....so I played it.

10/10
Superb.
One of my top 10 of all time.

elevated_u2_fan said:
:up: I loved Hot Fuzz...

I don't know why but the part where he runs through the fence had me laughing the hardest... I watched it several times over and over again...

Agreed. That part seems to be one of the film's most low-brow moments humor-wise, but I laughed for a good 5 seconds at that. :lol:

Rented Vacancy on the weekend

what the hell was that, is all I came up with
:|
and in keeping with my kids movie watching weekend,

yes get the box ready now

Daddy Day Camp

cute for kids, for that I don't mind really, now same wouldnt be said if I went without the kids :|

Batman Begins

After the current activety surrounding the Dark Knight I decided to watch it again.
Easily one of the best superhero films out there.

:drool:

8/10

"Superbad"

Review: I didn't go into this movie with terribly high expectations. The reviews for this film have been great so far, but the trailers did nothing for me, and it just seemed too vulgar. It is a vulgar film, but it gets bonus points for painting an accurate (as far as I can tell) picture of high school.

The plot: nerdy kids want sex and go to a party. Original? No, but the characters themselves save this film from being a boring retread. The acting is strong and convincing. Whoever did the casting should be proud.

The script, however, is a mixed bag. There aren't enough show-stoppingly funny moments, and the wittier, more subtle moments might be too obscene for some. The funnier first 1/3 gives way to a meandering, plodding second half and beyond, and I don't feel the film ended all that strongly.

What saved it? It was pretty darn funny. The McLovin B-plot was nothing short of excellent, and Seth was pure hilarity most of the time, though he occasionally crossed the line between amusing and obnoxious. I related to Evan the most, and thought his character balanced out the film well.

So, Superbad wasn't Supergreat, or even Supergood. It was more like regular good.

7/10

I thought the ending scene in the mall was great and captured the essence of the movie perfectly.

It's not that it didn't work, it's just that I didn't find it all that funny. Nothing after the last McLovin scene was all that funny, except for the credits.

"Trainspotting"

Review: It's no secret to anyone on this forum that I love British culture. The music, the architecture, the slang, the weather...not so much the food...but it's my dream to see it and be a part of it. Something different. It's films like this that make me think such a dream is a poor idea and, at the same time, sucks me in further.

First off, this is not a casual, relaxed, family film. It's intense, occasionally dark, and certainly morally questionable. Even the characters themselves recognize this. They're all drug addicts, and it shows up in their daily lives. They know better, but they think it gives their lives meaning. Perhaps it does, or perhaps "meaning" means nothing. Why even look for meaning anyway, when you have heroin? As one Mark Renton would say.

To sum up the pros and cons, I will just say that the acting, soundtrack, script, pacing and direction were all superb. This is just a good film. When it comes to cons, you just can't ignore the fact that, while all of this debauchery is presented in a rather attractive package, it's still debauchery, and the people partaking of it are scum. This basically makes the film nothing more than a beautiful, but voyeuristic period piece, because it's quite difficult to relate to the movie (unless you partake of that particular lifestyle) and, therefore, get absorbed in it. At least that's how it was for me. Also, I can't help but think that a few of the gross-out scenes early on were unnecessary and indulgent. I am docking the rating as a result.

However, in spite of this, I am Danny Boyle and Ewan McGregor fans now. Boyle's direction is incredible, and the way McGregor's narration collides with what's going on on-screen is fascinating.

Yeah, I liked this film quite a bit, but I feel like I need a long, hot shower now.

8.5/10

elevated_u2_fan said:
LemonMelon, have you seen Lock Stock yet?

About 10 minutes of it, but not all the way through. They show it on TV sometimes, so I'll tape it if it comes on.

Is Snatch the one where Brad Pitt has that insane accent and no one understands what he's saying ?

"Pikey" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikey

For me it goes Layer Cake > Snatch > Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Wasn't a big fan of Lock Stock but really enjoyed the other two.

For other modern Brit flicks check out Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent) and Shane Meadows (This Is England, Dead Man's Shoes, A Room for Romeo Brass). Good stuff :up:

I've seen two movies so far this week. "Becoming Jane" is really beautiful and definitely has funny moments but after seeing so many films set in that era (mainly Jane Austen adaptations) the inaccuracies really got to me. Anne Hathaway is a great actress but she was walking like a 21st century girl hustling to catch a cab, not a 19th century girl walking with her family to church. Just little things like that that kept me from being totally bowled over by the movie. If you like Jane Austen books and period romances, though, this is a nice way to spend a few hours regardless.

Last night I watched "Enron: The Smartest Men in the Room." Everyone must see this movie because every infuriating thing that happened with and because of this company could have been prevented. The documentary finally helped me to understand what Enron did, how it made its money (or at least how it claimed to). Great film.

oktobergirl said:

I've seen "Once" twice already. It is a totally awesome indie movie starring Glen Hansard (the singer for The Frames). It's one of the most popular movies in Los Angeles this summer. I think it's still playing at the Arclight in Hollywood and in Manhattan Beach.

I'm going to see it tomorrow night. I can't wait!

dsmith2904 said:

Last night I watched "Enron: The Smartest Men in the Room." Everyone must see this movie because every infuriating thing that happened with and because of this company could have been prevented. The documentary finally helped me to understand what Enron did, how it made its money (or at least how it claimed to). Great film.

:up: This is an excellent documentary, I've seen it twice and it was so well-done.

Kes
About time I got round to watching this and it was worth the wait. Brilliant and heartbreaking story of a young boy whose only friend is a wild kestrel he adopts and trains, it's also fascinating to watch such an unflinching depiction of working class life up north just 40 years ago. This is such an important film and I'm glad I finally managed to watch it, but be warned that the accents are a wee bit on the thick side.

Oldboy
A rewatch this, as I wanted to watch the 'Vengeance' trilogy in order before viewing Lady Vengeance. I much preferred this to the first time (and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance), even though I didn't exactly dislike it back then. A lot seems to be have been made of the violence level and while it is pretty violent it's more stylistic than outright graphic. The corridor scene about halfway is worthy of all the praise it gets though.

A Cock and Bull Story
A film about the filming of the supposedly unfilmable The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman. Essentially it documents the (fictional) filming of the adaptation whilst splicing in the actual footage they shoot. Think along the lines of 8 1/2 and Adaptation and you're about there. Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon are a brilliant double act with Coogan sending up his arrogant persona beautifully as in his Coffee and Cigarettes segment while Brydon does a series of spot on impersonations of him. I'd read that this was a total Marmite film, but I loved it.

The Day of the Jackal
Tense 70s thriller about the efforts of a hired assassin to kill Charles de Gaulle and the police investigation to identify and stop him. As good as Edward Fox was as The Jackal, I thought Michael Lonsdale as the police detectice charged with stopping him gave the better performance. Bloody good stuff, even if the French accents sounded distinctly British at times...

"Almost Famous"

Review:

Well, I've finally seen it. Yeah, I saw it on a lousy internet stream where the lip-synching was terrible until the last half hour, but it was worth it. :lol:

First thing's first; I was a bit disappointed by this film at times. It was a tad predictable and saccharine, and felt like a Behind The Music special more often than it should have. Still, for every moment where it felt as if sucrose was oozing out of the screen, there was a striking scene that I related to 100%. And then it hit me:

I am William Miller. I am a naive, music-obsessed fish-out-of-water. It's why I'm here. Music is my drug, (and, hopefully, they'll be keeping it legal for a while longer :wink: ) And it's that relatability that kept me glued to the screen until the very end. That, and the soundtrack (one of the best I've ever heard), atmosphere, and warmth of it. It really is a wonderful film.

So, yeah, AF might feel like a Behind The Music special, but it's far more endearing and enjoyable than any I've ever seen. Bonus points for using no less than five Zeppelin tracks during the course of the movie.

9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom