Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zodiac - 8.5/10.

I thought it was very well done. The Zodiac scenes were creepy. It did run kinda long, especially knowing that they never actually charged anyone for the crime. But all in all, it's a good effort.

Freedom Writers - 8/10.

Ok, i figured this was just gonna be like Dangerous Minds or Stand and Deliver... blah blah blah. Insert teacher in inner city school and watch what happens. But i read several good reviews and decided to give it a shot. What i didn't know is that it is a true story and it is quite amazing what this teacher was able to start with these kids. Definitely worth a watch.

I was just coming in here to see if there were any Zodiac reviews. I just read the book while I was on a roadtrip. Will have to check out the movie :up:

Lancemc said:
Inside Man - 7.5/10

This was a fantasticaly written heist flick. One of the most clever schemes I've seen in recent memory.

Unfotunately the film loses major points for having a fat saggy ass and becoming dangerously preachy.

Spike Lee almost got through the whole film without making it a Spike Lee movie. I guess he just couldn't help it though. Black power!!!, muthafuckas.

I've seen it a few times - I do like the storyline. The perfect heist. I didn't know it was Spike Lee til the end. :shrug:

my co-worker just saw Zodiac too....she really liked it...I haven't seen it yet, but it is on my list

The amount of murdering is insane, don't know if it's all shown in the movie. I probably didn't need to read the book, but I didn't know what else to buy and it was sitting there staring at me. The book is more of an account /diary than that of a "story" - the book wasn't an easy read per se, compared to...HP or something like that.

Yeah, the movie shows all of the murder scenes. But the Zodiac actually only killed 5 or 6 victims total. It was his letters that made him more famous than the actual killings. Plus, there's still some debate as to how many were actually connected to him. But the killings all happen at the beginning of the movie, because the story is more about the letters and the suspects. One murder scene in particular was pretty brutal. I wasn't expecting it to go down like that. But the others aren't that bad.

It's amazing how many different suspects and different stories are intertwined in this movie. I'm still trying to figure out how they all fit into it. I'm sure that's why it's so long. But it's great acting and it's always interesting. 158 minutes goes by pretty quick.

According to the book, he killed way more than 5-6 people. There were many unsolved murders in the N.Calif. area during the period of his killing spree. Close to 50 I believe. And the book was a bit confusing because there were several suspects that seemed likely to fit, then they wouldn't be. And years later, information would come up that wasn't shared or was discovered, etc. At least according to the (Graysmith's) book if it's accurate. It sounded like different depts. didn't share all the info they had either. A complete mess...

Yeah, there is ALOT of information out there about the case. After i watched the movie, I did some research online about the case. From what I read, they've had over 2500 different suspects over the years, although there is one that they really believe did it (according the Graysmith), but his DNA, fingerprints and handwriting didn't match up with the evidence they had. They also said that they thought he may have just been taking credit for all those other unsolved murders, and only give him credit for the 5 or 6 featured in the movie. They're still not even sure if he was the guy who picked up that lady with the baby on the Highway. In the movie, they show that scene. But when I read about the case online, they say that the girl actually ended up ruling out the Zodiac when they showed her a picture of their main suspect and she said it definitely wasn't him. Although, it could still be Zodiac, but it would mean that he wasn't the main suspect they thought. There's so many pieces that don't match in this case.

It is a difficult case. The movie definitely suggests that there may have been two people involved. Maybe one of them killed and the other wrote the letters? There's so much random evidence that doesn't match up to the suspects. No wonder it was never solved.

Leaving Las Vegas - 7/10

One of the most depressing films I've seen recently. It wasn't a particularly well-made film, but it earns a good score because of the script and excellent performances by Nicholas Cage and Elizabeth Shue.

The best I've seen recently:

Paris Je T'aime
20 or so short films about love in Paris, each one set in a different district and by a different director. With so many films on offer it's inevitable there's going to be some duds and there are (Asian hair salon, WTF?), but the good more than outweighs the bad. The Coens' film generates the most laughs, and my other favourites were Alfonso Cuaron's, the one with the lady from Maria Full of Grace and Alexander Payne's, the perfect film to end on. The best part about the film though is the amount of directorial styles on display, which is why I think it is best when watched together. Jim Jarmusch's Coffee and Cigarettes is another compilation of short films that you might like if you like this, but that one is probably better taken in small doses. Rather like coffee and cigarettes in fact :p

Gregory's Girl
One of the reasons I'm loving BBC2's British Summer Season at the moment, this was a delightful film about young love. I think fans of Before Sunrise will get a kick out of it as it's nothing like American high school romantic comedies and the ending is sure to puit a smile on anyone's face.

The Red Shoes
Also in BBC2's Brit season was this old Powell and Pressburger classic. I have to admit I'd never heard of it before and only watched it after seeing a 5* write up and hearing it's one of Scorcese's personal favourites. The highlight of the film has to be the ballet production itself, which is something I never thought I'd say, but it was fantastic.

Now after watching those i feel a strong urge to watch something with big guns and lots of gratuitous violence. Shame it'll end up being In Her Shoes lol.

The Bourne Ultimatum.

8/10. Maybe my favourite Bourne film, and I've enjoyed all of them. Perfect summer blockbuster, and I love how Bourne is the anti-Bond. On a superficial note, Julia Stiles looked lovely in the beginning, and then suffered a most unfortunate haircut.

Red River
Howard Hawks + John Wayne = Great Films. While not as good as Rio Bravo I still really enjoyed this and it was great to see that Walter Brennan featured as an earlier version of his toothless, slightly befuddled but still shrewd cowboy. Recommended to anyone with an interest in old westerns.

The Accused
Hmm, not too sure about this one. A strong performance from Jodie Foster makes up for a so-so turn from Kelly McGillis, while some cheesy moments here and there are more than made up for by some truly shocking and well made sequences. Not exactly a courtroom drama as most of the fireworks take place elsewhere, but still an interesting study of a situation that always crops up in the papers from time to time. Worth it for Jodie Foster.

Apocalypto - 7/10

This was a surprisingly entertaining action flick.

That said,

This was without a doubt, one of the craziest films I've ever seen. And I mean that purely in a "Holy Christ, the man who made this really is out of his mind..." sort of way. There were easily a half dozen or more true "WTF?!?" moments, the biggest of which was the ending which smacked of a hilarious lack of tact or subtlety.

Just to give you a sense, the first scene of the film goes like this: Group of hunters is out in the forest tracking a bore. They kill said bore with a crazy temple-of-doom style swinging spikey trap dillio. Our protagonist then procedes to remove a colorfull variety of organs and body parts from the bore and deal them out to his pals as mementos. Then the group of dudes trick their infertile buddy into eating the bore's raw bloody balls. They have a raucous good laugh at that one.

Good prank, I say.

Well, Mr. Gibson, thanks for the needlessly violent memories your films have brought thus far, and I hope God saves you a very special place in St. Peter's Holy Asylum of the Sacrament.

Lancemc said:
Then the group of dudes trick their infertile buddy into eating the bore's raw bloody balls. They have a raucous good laugh at that one.

Good prank, I say.

LOL I felt so bad for that guy, practically the whole village was either taking the piss or mocking him. Funny though :D

The bit that really made me squirm in my seat though was the face mauling. That must have stung a tad.

I must say it was incredibly badass when Jaguar Claw threw the hornet's nest at all those dudes.

The Simpsons 9/10 Not quite up to the TV series but very entertaining none the less.

Harry Potter 5

The omissions on the book (the price similarly payed for GoF), most notably no Quidditch or Dobby (not enough Kreecher), Cho betrays DA (not everyone wrote "I must not tell lies"), no Lilly in Snape's memory and most of all everyone heard the prophecy and no Harry-Dumbledore talk.

In spite of that, worth seeing and the best HP movie next to POA. If for no other reason delighfully menacing Voldemort and great additions to the cast with Loona and Umbridge (could be a tad nastier still). Also, the first movie where anyone of the trio has noticeable acting skills - namely Radcliffe who gives more depth to Harry as opposed to just shouting, smiling and/or doing spells.

Last edited:
The Hostage
Bruce Willis and Kevin Pollack.
3/10
Predictable story line, overdone story line, sub par performances.

uggh, Hostage was a god-awful movie. Not even Kevin Pollack being himself could save that one.

U2girl said:
The Simpsons 9/10 Not quite up to the TV series but very entertaining none the less.

Harry Potter 5

The omissions on the book (the price similarly payed for GoF), most notably no Quidditch or Dobby (not enough Kreecher), Cho betrays DA (not everyone wrote "I must not tell lies"), no Lilly in Snape's memory and most of all everyone heard the prophecy and no Harry-Dumbledore talk.

In spite of that, worth seeing and the best HP movie next to POA. If for no other reason delighfully menacing Voldemort and great additions to the cast with Loona and Umbridge (could be a tad nastier still). Also, the first movie where anyone of the trio has noticeable acting skills - namely Radcliffe who gives more depth to Harry as opposed to just shouting, smiling and/or doing spells.

No, there was some Kreacher. Rowling deliberately made sure he was in there (probably to set up his role in HP7).

Live Free or Die Hard
8/10

I was looking forward to this for a long time and it didn't disappoint. Bruce Willis is the MAN in action scenes, everything in this was effortless, but also you saw the pain and the blood and the hurt, rather then in other action flicks where the hero gets stabbed shot and a car dropped on him and then get up and run away.
I thought Justin Long was excellent, and the storyline flowed well.
Very cool :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:

No, there was some Kreacher. Rowling deliberately made sure he was in there (probably to set up his role in HP7).

Yes, some. But considering his role in the book...speaking of elves, Dobby seems to have vanished after the second movie.

You can't put everything in the movies, especially it's role in Goblet of Fire.

55361_aa.jpg

7/10

it is being compared to 4 weddings

it is not quite that good

but, it does have a lot of good laughs

57284_aa.jpg

6/10

just missed

this is a caper film

some good acting

but the script was not as tight as
lock, stock and two smoking barrels

Westport said:
once 9.5/10

This is a great, great film. A small independent movie. It won the audience award at Sundance. A musical that takes place on the streets of Dublin. Beautiful.

Watch the trailer here:

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/once/

I've seen "Once" twice already. It is a totally awesome indie movie starring Glen Hansard (the singer for The Frames). It's one of the most popular movies in Los Angeles this summer. I think it's still playing at the Arclight in Hollywood and in Manhattan Beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom