Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #226
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:09 AM
I watched Smokin' Aces this afternoon. I didn't expect to love it, but I hoped it would be a Tarantino-esque mix of violence and comedy. There was a lot of violence all right, but far too much of a plot and way too many characters packed into a 90-minute movie. The cast included a lot of big names, from Jeremy Piven to Ben Affleck to Alicia Keys and Common (who gave the two best performances of the movie), but most of the characters were completely cliched, and the screenplay wasn't well written enough to poke fun of those cliches. There were a few mildly entertaining parts and the ending was surprisingly good, but this probably isn't worth renting. 3/10

Old 05-21-2007, 12:45 AM   #227
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Pan's Labyrinth - 8/10

Been waiting to see this for a while. After hearing a lot of mixed reviews I really wasn't sure what to expect. Turned out to be a lot better than I thought it would. Everything from the art direction, photography, make-up, score, sound design and acting was absolutely gorgeous. The characters were all really wonderful, especially El Fauno and Mercedes.

Basically I really loved almost everything about the film. I'm just not too sure what I think about the story. I mean, it was good for sure... just not sure how much I liked it. I think I'll have a clearer opinion about this movie in a couple days. It could use a few days to digest. But I'd definitely recommend it.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Now that I'm done with school, I have more time to make use of my Netflix subscription. Yesterday I watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and today I watched Alpha Dog.

I liked the use of animated sequences in Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and the way that the songs filled in so much of the back story. This is one of those movies people have been recommending to me for years, and I'm glad I finally got around to seeing it. It's campy and over the top in some places, but I cared a lot about the characters, too. 7/10

I liked Alpha Dog more than I expected to. It's loosely based on the true story of one of the youngest people to ever make the FBI's most wanted list. Emile Hirsch stars as drug dealer Johnny Truelove, with Justin Timberlake, Bruce Willis, Sharon Stone, and Ben Foster among the supporting cast. When an associate fails to pay up, Johnny kidnaps the guy's fifteen-year-old half-brother. The boy is glad to be away from his smothering parents, though, and enjoys the party lifestyle that Johnny and his crew introduce him to. Things go bad, though, when Johnny finds out he and the others face life in prison for kidnapping the boy.

The character development was excellent, especially of Timberlake's character Frankie near the end, but there were too many characters, and the plot took awhile to get going. All and all, though, an entertaining movie. 6/10
Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #229
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Hedwig ...

I love the soundtrack.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:57 AM   #230
Blue Crack Distributor

Lady in the Water - 8.5/10

I liked this a lot. The first 20 minutes or so were a bit slow, but otherwise, it was an engaging story full of wonderfully quirky characters, and gorgeously shot. I don't understand the poor reviews it got. I'm wondering if many were due to the film critic's character, and the one character's commentary about his arrogance.

Godfather I - 9/10
Godfather II - 8.5/10
Godfather III - 6/10

In the past few weeks, I've also watched The Godfather trilogy for the first time ever. Being a huge fan of mafia movies and the Sopranos, I can't believe it took me so long to see this series. Like virtually everybody ever, I agree that the first two were amazing, and the third one kind of meh, due mostly to Sophia Coppola's wooden acting.

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner - 7.5/10

For a movie whose social commentary seems shockingly archaic seen in the context of current times (interracial relationships? Oh noes!), this was really good. It was Hepburn and Tracy's last film together, and they both gave great performances. A piece of trivia I read after viewing it - in the final scene, Tracy gives a lengthy speech, while Hepburn looks on, in tears. Her tears were apparently real, brought on by knowing that it was the final scene of the last movie they would ever do together - Tracy was terminally ill, and he passed away just a few weeks after filming finished. Poitier exuded class, as usual. The naive optimism of the female romantic lead, Katharine Houghton, was kind of cute and endearing, although on a different day, it could have been a little annoying. A groundbreaking movie for it's time, and still worth watching.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:54 AM   #231
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:09 PM
^Um interracial relationships still tend to cause shock and trouble today, it is still quite rare for people to marry outside of their own race....it isn't such an archaic notion that people would have major issues with it.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:00 AM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Pirates of the Carribean 3. 3hrs of time wasted. I was bored to tears. The monkey was the only highlight of the film.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #233
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
^Um interracial relationships still tend to cause shock and trouble today, it is still quite rare for people to marry outside of their own race....it isn't such an archaic notion that people would have major issues with it.
Not in my corner of the world, but this isn't FYM, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #234
Blue Crack Addict

English Patient: refreshed my memory on this one. Not necessarily a fan of this type of movies, but top notch acting from the cast, especially Kristin Scott Thomas and Ralph Fiennes. Very good film, 9/10.

I watched my first Leone movie (in full) with The good, the bad and the ugly. Nice dialogue and surprisingly witty for a western. One of my favourite music themes in movies too. I will look out for more Leone in the future. 8/10

Dr Strangelove: I think the third Kubrick movie I watched after Odissey 2001 and The Shining. Hilarious parody on cold war and atom bomb. Peter Sellers steals the movie with his three roles. 10/10
Old 05-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

U2girl, I'd strongly suggest you check out Once Upon A Time In America.

Far and away my favorite Leone film. In a way the ultimate gangster film. Clocks in at nearly 4 hours, but it flies by. Lots of GORGEOUS photography and cinematography, and a surprising number of twists and turns. Unique chronology structure. Overall just fantastic.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

I planned to watch Fistful of dollars and For a few dollars more first, to complete the trilogy with The good the bad and the ugly.

I think I remember watching some of Once upon a time in America. Is that the one with DeNiro and James Woods ?
Old 05-26-2007, 03:07 PM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I planned to watch Fistful of dollars and For a few dollars more first, to complete the trilogy with The good the bad and the ugly.

I think I remember watching some of Once upon a time in America. Is that the one with DeNiro and James Woods ?
Yeah, that's the one alright.

But you can't go wrong with The Dollars films either. Hope you enjoy.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #238
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Hot Fuzz

Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost can do no wrong. This is the best spoof since well... Shaun of the Dead. Hey, American "spoofers," take notes from these guys. I absolutely loved this movie. Best part was the Romeo and Juliet scene, I was dying of laughter when they made fun of the DiCaprio shitfest. It does clock in at about 2 hours and has a slow first half, so that hurts rewatchability, but it's still too much fun not to watch again.

***1/2 out of ****
Old 05-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #239
New Yorker

"Chicago" is on tonight!! I LOVED that when I saw it in the theater!
Old 05-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #240
Blue Crack Addict

Iraq for Sale.

9/10. Very concise and brief (barely over an hour long) documentary about private contractors in Iraq, the shocking profits being made while the workers are dying by the hundreds. Quintessential war profiteering film - very, very well made.

Dreamgirls

7.5/10. Jennifer Hudson was that good. The rest of the movie was fine, enjoyable enough as a musical, but not fantastic. Beyonce couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag.