Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #166
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Blessed Stranger : After Flight 111

8/10

Pretty good for a Canadian film. Had me all weepy eyed.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:42 AM   #167
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:05 AM
Little Children

7/10

Not quite as good as I had hoped, maybe a little long, but I did like it. Kate Winslet was really good, but that's never surprising.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:05 AM
Snow Cake - 9/10

Probably the best film I've seen this year. Alan Rickman and Sigourney Weaver both deserve Oscar noms for this. Amazingly touching film. Strongly reccomended to anyone.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:56 PM   #169
Blue Crack Distributor

Karla

2/10

I'm not exactly sure what possessed me to get the movie about Karla Homolka and her husband (starring Laura Prepon from "That 70s Show," no less). I should have just read a book to learn more about it. Oh well.

Then I turned on the Kill Bill series on TNT, and was reminded how much I enjoyed them - and was surprised by how much I enjoyed them! I need to get those on DVD.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:23 PM   #170
Refugee

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Little Miss Sunshine is one of the more affecting films that I have ever seen. Although billed as a comedy, it makes subtle yet exceedingly poignant commentary on family, social pressures, bureaucracy, and the meanings of failure and success. The characters, although highly eccentric, are somehow believable as well, all of them managing to evoke both sympathy and frustration. Overall, one of the better films that I have seen in quite some time.

9/10
Old 05-13-2007, 11:55 PM   #171
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:05 AM
Capote 8.5/10

Very good movie, very interesting, and great performance by Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Usual Suspects 8.5/10

Have seen it numerous times before, but watched it again last night. I'm usually compelled to watch it when its on.
~Kaiser Soze ~
Old 05-14-2007, 03:12 AM   #172
Blue Crack Addict

Babel - 2.5/10

I really wasn't sure how to rate this film, so I just gave it 1/4 the points for being 1/4 a great film.

Really, the Japanese story was the only genuinely touching one of the four. The majority of the film was extremely contrived and more importantly BORING. I don't remember the last time I've been so bored watching a movie. I almost felt like the three other stories were just long-ass boring commercials I had to suffer before the good part came back on. Seriously, outside of the Japanese story, I didn't care about any of the characters, anything they did, anything that happened to them, and I sure as hell didn't care about Cate Blanchett pissing herself.

Worst of all, the poor execution of "tying all the stories together" was near cringe-worthy. Those connections were some of the most predictable plot devices I've seen in recent history. In truth, almost the entire film was mind-numbingly predictable. Just poor film-making to be honest. I mean, technically it's a nice film, if not a noteworthy accomplishment. But god damn, has there been a more contrived script in the past 5 years?

But like I said, the Japanese story was truly touching. Even though the her total screentime couldn't have been much more than 25 minutes, I deeply cared for the deaf-mute girl. The character, the whole story really, was just so fascinating, and surprisingly turned out to be the most resonant segment of the movie. For some reason, this was the most elegantly shot segment as well. The whole piece was just really beautiful and had me thoroughly engaged. Too engaged in fact, that the other 3/4 of the film just started to piss me off. I would have seriously been much happier if the Japanese story had been made into its own feature. So, I'll take a literal approach and score this film 2.5/10, for being 1/4 fabulous and 3/4 awful.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #173
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Babel - 2.5/10
Really, the Japanese story was the only genuinely touching one of the four. The majority of the film was extremely contrived and more importantly BORING.
It is funny that you say this, because I believed the Japanese girl's story to be completely unnecessary; that is, the segment that had only a tenuous connection to the rest of the film. Then again, I felt that film failed rather catastrophically in conveying its major idea, which was impossibly ambitious from the beginning. It really would have worked better as a film about the manner in which bureaucracy and political concerns oppress the individual; because I wanted the film to concern intself with this, I consequently ceased caring about the Japanese girl. In any case, if you did not care for this, stay away from 21 Grams, which is essentially the exact same movie.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

I saw 21 Grams several years ago and thought it was fantastic. The characters in that film were actually engaging, and the film's structure served the ultimate goal instead of distracting from it.

And eventually I stopped caring about Babel's "major idea" because I was so bored. (I hate saying that too, because I like to believe I'm a fair and reasonably analytical film viewer) I fact, I tend to defend most films I see, almost to a fault, overlooking sometimes fatal flaws in light of the greater vision. I just couldn't stomach this film. Maybe I enjoyed the Japanese story BECAUSE it was disconnected from the main storyline...I thought the main storyline was mess.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #175
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:05 PM
A few oldies and classics:

Annie Hall 6/10 My first W. Allen movie, a good writer and Diane Keaton is good but I can't say I was blown away, save for a few laughs.

One Flew over the cuckoo's nest 10/10 I've been meaning to see this one for a while. Good performances all around, I especially liked the rivarly between J. Nicholson and nurse Wretched, and a good story.

Schindler's list. I did see this one but never in full. One of the few Spielberg movies I haven't seen yet. Another 10/10, this is essential watching due to the topic of the movie, and his second classic after E.T. Good performances by Ben Kingsley and Liam Neeson but Ralph Fiennes takes the cake - one of the creepiest villains.

Pulp fiction. My first - full - Tarantino. Good writer, but again, not blown away. 6/10. Great soundtrack. For mafia/gangster movies I'll take Scorsese instead and for funny gangster movies I prefer Guy Ritchie.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #176
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Maybe I enjoyed the Japanese story BECAUSE it was disconnected from the main storyline...I thought the main storyline was mess.
That makes sense. When it was reviewed on Ebert & Roper, the latter and his guest critic had a similar discussion about the Japanese girl. In any case, I would agree with you that Babel was essentially a failure.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #177
Refugee

Can we just agree that Amores Perros is the greatest movie ever?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #178
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by got_edge
Can we just agree that Amores Perros is the greatest movie ever?
Yes/no, either way Babel still blows.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #179
Refugee

WHAY THE NO?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #180
Blue Crack Addict

BECAUSE I'M NOT AGREEING OR DISAGREEING.

I would love to see you defend why you thought Babel was legitimately a good movie. Do enlighten us.