Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, I was hyped for the film, so it probably spoiled some of the surprise. But seriously, a lot of stuff was pretty obvious in the film whether you were looking for something or not.

I knew there was a huge twist in Momento, and I even knew the exact setup for the film, but it was just a better writen and directed film, so I enjoyed it a lot more.

Queen Bee said:
Babysit me!

Well that was a freebie.

Cool story:

I'm about to watch Lawrence of Arabia for the first time a week ago, I get to the 30 minute mark and it stops suddenly. Turns out the DVD has a crater-sized scuff in and I send it back to Netflix and request a replacement. Netflix receives it and sends a replacement copy, and said I should've receive it in a few days. Sounds easy, right? Wrong! Replacement Lawrence was lost in the mail and I asked for a replacement for my replacement, now I'm waiting for it to show up.

Either God or the United States Postal Service does not want me to see this movie. Anywho, I should have a huge write-up on it when I'm done.

(the first 30 minutes were promising, btw)

Last edited:
Lancemc said:
Like I said, I was hyped for the film, so it probably spoiled some of the surprise. But seriously, a lot of stuff was pretty obvious in the film whether you were looking for something or not.

I knew there was a huge twist in Momento, and I even knew the exact setup for the film, but it was just a better writen and directed film, so I enjoyed it a lot more.

not that big of a twist

in Mumento

It is just a backward film
like Irreversible
also a very gripping film

Usual Suspects is a bit like Sixth Sense

it is best to see them not knowing there is a big twist

I thought Memento was trying to say something about us all seeing things in our own ways, and that everyone sees the same things differently. :huh:

Last edited:
LemonMelon, I hope you enjoy. It's obviously one of my favorite movies.

As for Memento, without getting into spoiler territory, I'd definitely say it was a big twist, since it puts a huge spin on several characters' primary motives throughout the entire film, as well as the basis for the opening of the narritive.

But the thing that bugged me them most about The Usualy Suspects is.

NOW ENTERING SPOILER TERRITORY

Spacey's character's motivation once his identity is revealed is completely nonsensical. Why go through a needlessly elaborate scheme and guise in order to kill one man, when he could have easily hired any random guns to do the job.

So you'll say he also wanted to get even with the other 4 guys. So what? Have them killed too. He's obviously got the resources. Also, why put himself into such a terribly risky situation just to accomlish those goals?

It's all just a bit too ridiculous for me to swallow. It was all set up just for the sake of making for an intersting story. No need for realistic character motivation or narritive. Pfft.

Lancemc said:
LemonMelon, I hope you enjoy. It's obviously one of my favorite movies.

Thanks, I probably will.

:lol:

the dogs are messing everyone up.

I saw the movie so long ago -
without any expectations

I just remember walking out of the theater thinking how great spacey was

I can not give your points any thoughts

I don't remember very much now

hardyharhar said:
I thought Memento was trying to say something about us all seeing things in our own ways, and that everyone sees the same things differently. :huh:

nah

that was a Japanese movie

That's fair deep, and I really did love Spacey's acting. The acting all around was surprisingly good. Even Baldwin's.

If you ever watch it again though, just keep my comment above in your mind. And see if the whole damn thing really makes any sense at all.

Lancemc said:
That's fair deep, and I really did love Spacey's acting. The acting all around was surprisingly good. Even Baldwin's.

If you ever watch it again though, just keep my comment above in your mind. And see if the whole damn thing really makes any sense at all.

Benicio Del Toro's lisp as Fenster, good God. :lol:

Fenster: [laughing] Hand me the keys, you cocksucker.
Cop: In English, please?
Fenster: Excuse me?
Cop: In English.
Fenster: Hand me the fucking keys, you cocksucker, what the fuck?

He's going to play The Wolfman in the eponymous remake. That looks... interesting :huh:

hardyharhar said:

Godzilla?
are you jerking me?

The characters tell the story different four times. In flash-backs, all as the characters tell them, we see the stories. Are they lying, are they all telling their own truth or is there someone who tells THE truth?

it is no. 73

on imdb

Just saw that on imdb thanks to Lila:wink:

Wasn't thinking of Rashomon, actually was what I thought he was trying to say with Memento. Without really referring to the story itself,it seemed to me the film could have just kept going indefinitely. But it's been a few years since I've seen it. Sure beat Pirates 3.:rolleyes:

Spider-Man 3 - 5/10

The first film was a decent origin story let down by a weak villain; the second installment was IMO a huge improvement and one of the most enjoyable comic book movies I've watched. Sadly, I thought that Spider-Man 3 was an overstuffed bore. It had its moments and some cool special effects but was ultimately ruined by a sloppy script that tried to cram in too many characters and plotlines none of which end up to be fully fleshed out. I mean, what kind of lazy "convenience" writing is this when one of the trilogy's biggest conflicts is resolved by having a marginal character explain the truth at a totally random moment? :mad:

Letters From Iwo Jima

9/10. Very well done and I really felt close to the characters. Beautifully filmed too.

Apocalypto

6/10. I actually liked this more than I anticipated I would. The scenery was beautiful and I liked that they didn't use famous actors.

Ocean's 13

7/10. Very entertaining, lots of pretty eye candy. It should probably be the last of the series as they said it would be. But vast, vast improvement on Ocean's 12 which I thought sucked. It was better not having Julia Roberts in it, IMO.

I watched both of the Kill Bill movies the other day back-to-back. The fight sequences were so well choreographed, and I liked the way that the plot slowly unraveled, revealing the basics first but only digging deeper later. I also love the way that Tarantino uses music in his movies. I did miss the style of dialogue used in movies like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, but overall two great movies 8.5/10

Today I watched the Brazilian movie City of God. It's the gritty, unsentimental story of the neighborhood in Rio of the same name and shows a young crime boss's rise to power and what happens when his power is threatened. Very good character development and cinematography, though a little slow in the beginning. 7.5/10

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I watched both of the Kill Bill movies the other day back-to-back. The fight sequences were so well choreographed, and I liked the way that the plot slowly unraveled, revealing the basics first but only digging deeper later. I also love the way that Tarantino uses music in his movies. I did miss the style of dialogue used in movies like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs, but overall two great movies 8.5/10

Today I watched the Brazilian movie City of God. It's the gritty, unsentimental story of the neighborhood in Rio of the same name and shows a young crime boss's rise to power and what happens when his power is threatened. Very good character development and cinematography, though a little slow in the beginning. 7.5/10

Which Kill Bill did you like better? I liked 2 a lot more.

I actually prefer K.B. vol I to II. I think it better captures the wuxia/spaghetti western blend of style Quentin was going for with the project. Plus, I prefer the soundtrack in I to that in II, although the song in the final film end credits (always forget how to spell it so I won't even try) performed by Rodriguez' band is fucking amazing.

I liked 2 more, too. That huge fight scene in 1 was amazing, but I felt dropped in on my head at the start. I like the way that Tarantino doesn't explain a lot early in his movies, focusing just on developing each scene instead of filling in back story, but it was fun in 2 to see more of why she wanted revenge and how she went about getting it. The last half hour wasn't at all where I thought it was going to go, but I really liked the ending.

The music work better in 1, though, especially in the restaurant/club fight scene.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom